Xbox: A New Generation Revealed

Video games have changed.

It's not about high scores, or gameplay.

It's not even about graphics, multiplayer, or innovation.

It's an endless series of micro transactions,

bought by children and fanboys.

Video games, and its vast consumption of human time,

has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction.

ID-tagged gamers carry ID-tagged consoles,

that use ID-tagged games.

Season-passes inside their games

enhance and regulate their experience.

Lending games control.. Used games control..

Single player control.. ESPN control.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

The age of entertainment is now the age of control,

averting piracy from smart people.

And he who controls the activation codes, controls games.

When the battlefield is under total control,

consolewars becomes routine.

Why should a gaming console be a fashion statement?

It use to be that video games were unlike anything in our households so they stand out in order for others to identify them.

It use to be that video games were unlike anything in our households so they stand out in order for others to identify them.

LONG LIVE THE 16 BIT ERA!

turtles-in-time-snes-shredder-fight-boss-battle.jpg

What do you use in your PhD for and what have you read? If you are using OpenGL on Windows you are essentially just interfacing through a wrapper of DirectX (makes it usable), if you are using it on OSX or a Linux distribution the story gets interesting pretty quick.

OpenGL and DirectX are two entirely different rendering pipelines on Windows, each with their own quirks and differences. In no shape, way, or form is OpenGL a wrapper over DirectX.

bought by children and fanboys...

C5a1uOe.jpg

Used games are basically gone. Paying almost full price for another to play a game I lend them unless I let them use my account... The complacency is being shown by those who are accepting this DRM tactic and not voicing their frustration and disappointment about such tactics being thrust upon the consumer.

If Sony shows to do the same thing, you will hear the same cry as we are expressing now. But since we do not know, we are not voicing it. But we do know what MS has planned, and many of us are not happy with the new business model.

Why are we ignoring the little fact they said they're working on systems to let you lend games between accounts. Kind of like ebooks. Oh yeah... Agenda...

Why are we ignoring the little fact they said they're working on systems to let you lend games between accounts. Kind of like ebooks. Oh yeah... Agenda...

It's a real concern though for people like me who occasionally rent or borrow from public library. MS is not helping by not communicating openly.

Major Nelson flat out said no to the 24 hour thing, though did allude to there still being some sort of time frame. He also said Xbox One will also support 3D and 4k. Check the transcript of his yahoo chat from the other day on his blog :)

• Like 1

Anyone else read/hear about the dedicated servers? Woodygamertag mentioned it in his video yesterday and he mentioned wired.com as the source but I couldnt find anything on wireds page.

Yea I guess they will have to do similar stuff for other regions otherwise it will just like Xbox 360.

The difference is i think Sony will be a fiercer competitor next gen. Sony was not ready with the PS3. It was released 1 year later than 360 while the 360 already had a big library of titles avalaible. Also if we are to believe the devs it was hard to develop and port for.

The PS4 will be released at the same time as the 360 and with almost the same arch. It looks like it will be far easier to port games between the One and PS4 and to develop for the PS4. Most big companies will be fully multiplatform next gen and there should not be a noticeable difference between the One and the PS4 version of a multiplatform title. The first party exclusive titles will be a major selling point.

MS did not need the multimedia features of the 360 to succeed. Here in Quebec, Canada (french canada) people bought the 360 as a game console only and it was clearly the most popular console for almost the entire gen. The PS3 is clearly catching up tough. I see more and more people with the PS3.

The multimedia features might help the One in USA but it wont be that much of an help outside of USA and specially in japan unless MS is tailoring content for people outside of USA (unlike the 360). I own a 360 and owned an XBox (did not own a PS2 or PS3) and to be honest the lack of success of MS in japan and the lack of japanese titles support is really starting to bother me a lot. I really like the changes Sony did with the PS4 controller (my dislike of the PS2 and PS3 controllers was a big reason i went with the XBox). I really like the fact the PS4 will be as much powerful as the One and with the same arch should get proper support from western companies since it sells well enough in those region. Also i really don't like having to pay for gold yet having access to only a fraction of the multimedia content.

I really wish MS would put more focus on gaming. I can understand the excitement about the One in USA. But as a french canadian i can't help but feel more positive about the PS4 since Sony did put more focus on gaming than Microsoft did when they announced the PS4. I intend to play some crazy japanese games again next gen. The choice will be easy for me. I did not see anything in MS press conference that will help the One be more popular than the 360 outside of USA and the PS3 worldwide is really catching up lately and i don't see the trend reversing.

The difference is i think Sony will be a fiercer competitor next gen. Sony was not ready with the PS3. It was released 1 year later than 360 while the 360 already had a big library of titles avalaible. Also if we are to believe the devs it was hard to develop and port for.

The PS4 will be released at the same time as the 360 and with almost the same arch. It looks like it will be far easier to port games between the One and PS4 and to develop for the PS4. Most big companies will be fully multiplatform next gen and there should not be a noticeable difference between the One and the PS4 version of a multiplatform title. The first party exclusive titles will be a major selling point.

MS did not need the multimedia features of the 360 to succeed. Here in Quebec, Canada (french canada) people bought the 360 as a game console only and it was clearly the most popular console for almost the entire gen. The PS3 is clearly catching up tough. I see more and more people with the PS3.

The multimedia features might help the One in USA but it wont be that much of an help outside of USA and specially in japan unless MS is tailoring content for people outside of USA (unlike the 360). I own a 360 and owned an XBox (did not own a PS2 or PS3) and to be honest the lack of success of MS in japan and the lack of japanese titles support is really starting to bother me a lot. I really like the changes Sony did with the PS4 controller (my dislike of the PS2 and PS3 controllers was a big reason i went with the XBox). I really like the fact the PS4 will be as much powerful as the One and with the same arch should get proper support from western companies since it sells well enough in those region. Also i really don't like having to pay for gold yet having access to only a fraction of the multimedia content.

I really wish MS would put more focus on gaming. I can understand the excitement about the One in USA. But as a french canadian i can't help but feel more positive about the PS4 since Sony did put more focus on gaming than Microsoft did when they announced the PS4. I intend to play some crazy japanese games again next gen. The choice will be easy for me. I did not see anything in MS press conference that will help the One be more popular than the 360 outside of USA and the PS3 worldwide is really catching up lately and i don't see the trend reversing.

Well said from a gamers point if view. I tried to highlight in another topic these consoles are going head to head this gen, no early start for the Xbox and Sony are far better prepared for this launch. Heck they showed first in Feb.

What do you use in your PhD for and what have you read? If you are using OpenGL on Windows you are essentially just interfacing through a wrapper of DirectX (makes it usable), if you are using it on OSX or a Linux distribution the story gets interesting pretty quick.

This has to be one of the most ignorant things I ever have seen... he must be a troll.

Nice MGS4 references :D

Not ignoring anything. I'm not pleased with the killing off of lending/trading/renting of games to friends, family, and such. It's a horrible system that only hurts us, the consumer. And those who are trying to find the good in this, are the ones who give this type of idea power and push companies to continue to hurt the consumer. There is NO reason you should accept this, as a consumer.

These companies want you to think they are hurting. In reality, they are still making HUGE profits. The nickle and diming of customers is only going to get worse if people allow these little steps to continue.

If you grew up gaming, you can easily see each step that has continued to put more and more restrictions to how we own and play the games we buy.

Seems like you're still ignoring the thing you said you're not ignoring.

They said there will be systems in place for lending games. i.e. same systems as exists for e-books already. meaning it gets activated on your friends account while it's marked as lent out on yours and you can't use it while he's "lending" it.

Honestly though, games today are so cheap people should just buy them instead of lending.

Seems like you're still ignoring the thing you said you're not ignoring.

They said there will be systems in place for lending games. i.e. same systems as exists for e-books already. meaning it gets activated on your friends account while it's marked as lent out on yours and you can't use it while he's "lending" it.

Honestly though, games today are so cheap people should just buy them instead of lending.

How are these systems going to work for companies that rent games, if its not as easy as put a game in an envelope and post then there's a good chance Xbox One or PS4 games if Sony go that route won't get purchased for rental purposes.

Your 'games are cheap' comment is ignorant, ?40/$60 isn't cheap if you don't know you are going to like the game or not. I can get nearly 4 months of unlimited game rental for the price of one game, game rental places buy hundreds of copies of every game for most platforms, that is money publishers/developers won't get if consoles block used/rental games as I'm not blowing ?40 on a game that I don't have a demo for.

Well said!

Microsoft got quite a bit of praise back with the 360 because they focused on games, rather than trying to push out a Bluray player within their console. Sony's PS3 offered so many features too, but when it came down to the price tag, it was way too high. Overall, it seemed to leave a bad taste in your mouth where you were paying way too much for a device that did all of these things when all you wanted to do was play some video games.

Fast forward to today, and now we have Microsoft trying to be the jack of all trades here, introducing existing technology into a device where many products already exist, and in an arguably better state already. It's like they're trying to solve problems people already have answers to. Even Sony's inclusion of the Bluray wasn't a totally bad idea, considering how much Bluray players were at the time and that it was still quite new technology where not many had it sitting in their living rooms yet.

I can't help but facepalm at the fact that, while Sony's reveal conference wasn't very good, Microsoft literally took ZERO notes from them, apparently having learned not a damn thing. That's what has me annoyed more than anything. It feels like Microsoft isn't even paying attention to the competition at all, deciding to do whatever they want just because they have the Xbox name. Sorry guys, but Sony did that once before, and it didn't exactly work out for them. Why the HELL would it work out for Microsoft?

Ge4jAR3.gif

Ge4jAR3.gif

Keep another GIF handy where both dogs falter. Will be useful when Sony gets on board used games block. :p

Well said!

Microsoft got quite a bit of praise back with the 360 because they focused on games, rather than trying to push out a Bluray player within their console. Sony's PS3 offered so many features too, but when it came down to the price tag, it was way too high. Overall, it seemed to leave a bad taste in your mouth where you were paying way too much for a device that did all of these things when all you wanted to do was play some video games.

Fast forward to today, and now we have Microsoft trying to be the jack of all trades here, introducing existing technology into a device where many products already exist, and in an arguably better state already. It's like they're trying to solve problems people already have answers to. Even Sony's inclusion of the Bluray wasn't a totally bad idea, considering how much Bluray players were at the time and that it was still quite new technology where not many had it sitting in their living rooms yet.

I can't help but facepalm at the fact that, while Sony's reveal conference wasn't very good, Microsoft literally took ZERO notes from them, apparently having learned not a damn thing. That's what has me annoyed more than anything. It feels like Microsoft isn't even paying attention to the competition at all, deciding to do whatever they want just because they have the Xbox name. Sorry guys, but Sony did that once before, and it didn't exactly work out for them. Why the HELL would it work out for Microsoft?

You're making the assumption that they aren't focused on games when they are. When they announced the Xbox reveal back in April they specifically stated it was going to be about the console and their vision for it as a whole and that E3 would be about the games. They've said multiple times since then and since the reveal that E3 is going to pretty much entirely be about the games. So just wait 2 weeks and then judge them on that facet. I'd also love to know what you're considering as "existing technology" that they're implementing into the Xbox in a worse state than what people have because as far as I can tell, it's all better than a lot of the other standalone products, even more so because it is integrated.

In general I think a lot of people are making the false assumption that because Microsoft is focusing on an entire entertainment experience that somehow they are less focused on games when there is really no evidence of that at this time.

• Like 1

In general I think a lot of people are making the false assumption that because Microsoft is focusing on an entire entertainment experience that somehow they are less focused on games when there is really no evidence of that at this time.

I think it is very safe to say that Sony is more focused however.

From the pretty well documented differences each company is handling the independent developers, to the fact Sony made it much clearer in their reveal games were the front and center focus, even if MS is also focusing on games as we all know they are, at this point in time Sony seems to have more of a focus.

Perhaps this fact will change with E3, but I also think Sony is going to keep the hype machine rolling as well, so wether or not both companies wind up giving the same focus towards games, the overall consensus is right now Sony is giving a stronger focus. This will no doubt go a long way.

As it has already been pointed out, some gamers went with the 360 this last generation as it was the more attractive console for several reasons from a practical standpoint. A year head start, a lower price tag, some killer launch titles, MS had everything going for them and Sony did not. Even with that said, Sony managed to hang in there this generation. It is no doubt well documented they lost the United States, but the United States is not the end all be all. However for MS, they are making that pretty apparent it clearly is the region they care about the most. A decent amount of these new features of the XBox 1 will be limited to the US initially.

So while MS still may wind up dominating sales in the US because of their focus, this generation there is a much more undefined line as to which console should be purchased. The PS4 is looking very attractive to a few people who purchased 360's this last generation if games are what they care about most.

This generation is going to wind up being perhaps the tightest one we have experienced yet to be truthful. The WiiU is already out of the running for several reasons, and only those such as myself who still enjoy playing 1st party Nintendo games will own one. The rest of the market is Sony's and MS's. And this time around Sony is ready. And they also (currently) have the perception of being more focused on the gamer.

I for one think it is an absolute great thing. Neither company is going to be able to rest on their laurels, they both need to step it up, and all signs are already pointing to the fact they are doing just that. So I hope I am 100% right. That there is no clear cut winner in any territory. We all will benefit as a result.

And this is my point: if that's something they truly cared about, SHOW it. It's like they haven't learned a single thing by watching Sony. Microsoft appears to be a horse with blinders on, running straight forward and seemingly out of touch with what their competition is doing along with what their fan base actually wants or cares to see.

What's worse is there are awful rumors flying now, which stemmed from Microsoft opening their mouth when they apparently haven't finalized many of the details between user accounts, games, used games, sharing, and how that all is supposed to work, what it means, and so forth. Instead, they throw out some rough idea with nothing solid to go on. They seem to have done a great job in making contradictory statements too. "Always on" not a requirement, except for all these instances where you'd need online authentication to do basic things you weren't required to do previously on the console...

It's like they're trying to give "clear" answers, but when people push to try and understand what they're getting at, they back off and claim they don't have enough information. As a consumer, that's just incredibly frustrating! It's like the more you find out about the new Xbox, the less you actually know about it...

And this is my point: if that's something they truly cared about, SHOW it. It's like they haven't learned a single thing by watching Sony. Microsoft appears to be a horse with blinders on, running straight forward and seemingly out of touch with what their competition is doing along with what their fan base actually wants or cares to see.

What's worse is there are awful rumors flying now, which stemmed from Microsoft opening their mouth when they apparently haven't finalized many of the details between user accounts, games, used games, sharing, and how that all is supposed to work, what it means, and so forth. Instead, they throw out some rough idea with nothing solid to go on. They seem to have done a great job in making contradictory statements too. "Always on" not a requirement, except for all these instances where you'd need online authentication to do basic things you weren't required to do previously on the console...

It's like they're trying to give "clear" answers, but when people push to try and understand what they're getting at, they back off and claim they don't have enough information. As a consumer, that's just incredibly frustrating! It's like the more you find out about the new Xbox, the less you actually know about it...

Well like I said, they stated clearly that they weren't focusing on games at this reveal and that they were going to do so at E3 so I believe they are going to show it very soon, but I do agree that they aren't handling other PR aspects particularly gracefully (i.e. answers without more questions would be nice).

• Like 1

4:23

Comment From blame space

Which areas of the Xbox One will you be focusing on at your E3 presentation?

4:24 phptlmby6larryb8l7d.png

Major Nelson (Larry Hryb): Games. Games. GAMES :)

Come on man, wasn't that **** obvious? You think they are going to show their whole hand now and have nothing for E3?

Do people really think for a moment, that this isn't a full on gmaing machine, that can also do a load of media stuff?

If people are confused, then it's because they are stupid.

I think it was Penny Arcde that did a whole article on being confused as to what this box is supposed to be.

Derp!

• Like 1

I think it is very safe to say that Sony is more focused however.

From the pretty well documented differences each company is handling the independent developers, to the fact Sony made it much clearer in their reveal games were the front and center focus, even if MS is also focusing on games as we all know they are, at this point in time Sony seems to have more of a focus.

Perhaps this fact will change with E3, but I also think Sony is going to keep the hype machine rolling as well, so wether or not both companies wind up giving the same focus towards games, the overall consensus is right now Sony is giving a stronger focus. This will no doubt go a long way.

As it has already been pointed out, some gamers went with the 360 this last generation as it was the more attractive console for several reasons from a practical standpoint. A year head start, a lower price tag, some killer launch titles, MS had everything going for them and Sony did not. Even with that said, Sony managed to hang in there this generation. It is no doubt well documented they lost the United States, but the United States is not the end all be all. However for MS, they are making that pretty apparent it clearly is the region they care about the most. A decent amount of these new features of the XBox 1 will be limited to the US initially.

So while MS still may wind up dominating sales in the US because of their focus, this generation there is a much more undefined line as to which console should be purchased. The PS4 is looking very attractive to a few people who purchased 360's this last generation if games are what they care about most.

This generation is going to wind up being perhaps the tightest one we have experienced yet to be truthful. The WiiU is already out of the running for several reasons, and only those such as myself who still enjoy playing 1st party Nintendo games will own one. The rest of the market is Sony's and MS's. And this time around Sony is ready. And they also (currently) have the perception of being more focused on the gamer.

I for one think it is an absolute great thing. Neither company is going to be able to rest on their laurels, they both need to step it up, and all signs are already pointing to the fact they are doing just that. So I hope I am 100% right. That there is no clear cut winner in any territory. We all will benefit as a result.

Some of that is true, but I don't believe that the hype train is even rolling for Sony, so they need to get it going. They had their reveal in February and there was little fanfare following it. News about the PS4 pretty much dropped off the planet until the day before the Xbox reveal and now it's still most about Xbox, good or bad.

Sony and MS are on even ground right now though I think. I doubt that changes much through the next lifecycle like you say, and that's not a bad thing.

Well like I said, they stated clearly that they weren't focusing on games at this reveal and that they were going to do so at E3 so I believe they are going to show it very soon, but I do agree that they aren't handling other PR aspects particularly gracefully (i.e. answers without more questions would be nice).

People keep bringing this up, but just because they said that doesn't mean it was the right move. They showed barely any games at all, and no gameplay. They tout these 15 new exclusives coming over the next year but couldn't even offer up some names, logos, anything at all? I understand E3 is only a few weeks a way but first impressions can mean a lot and after what MS showed us I'm already seeing a somewhat negative impact amongst some of my friends. All we can do now is wait and hope that E3 wows us a lot more and clarifies a lot of the unanswered questions that have been circulating the past couple days.