Xbox: A New Generation Revealed

bull****. If your internet is down you probably want to pass the time playing games. Admittedly it probably doesn't happen much in America but other countries don't have robust infrastructures. What about taking your Xbox on holiday ooops doesn't work. How about those in the army serving abroad? Tough luck! Look past your own little selfish situation and consider how it is a negative for consumers. My internet hasn't been down for years but I still think its a terrible move and harms users.

It checks in once every 24 hours. Calm down.

I don't see why it'd be considered selfish if I don't worry that Xbox One will work in a developing economy halfway around the world.

Clutching at straws comes to mind.

If the military has problems with communications I think they've got far bigger things to worry about then they're Xbox One authenticating.

bull****. If your internet is down you probably want to pass the time playing games. Admittedly it probably doesn't happen much in America but other countries don't have robust infrastructures. What about taking your Xbox on holiday ooops doesn't work. How about those in the army serving abroad? Tough luck! Look past your own little selfish situation and consider how it is a negative for consumers. My internet hasn't been down for years but I still think its a terrible move and harms users.

Huh? Your rant makes no sense. Holidays? Why would I need my XBox on a holiday vacation? Military? The military has quite a reliable network.

Am I the only one who isn't afraid to go outdoors when things don't work?

Huh? Your rant makes no sense. Holidays? Why would I need my XBox on a holiday vacation? Military? The military has quite a reliable network.

Am I the only one who isn't afraid to go outdoors when things don't work?

Nobody said you in particular, but I know of plenty of people who take their whatever system to use for family games at night or to watch Blu-rays when where they're going doesn't have these facilities. And usually no Internet either.

So that's the solution to everything is it? When previously it was fine playing games offline, now a new system has been introduced we all just have to stop what we're doing with it? What was wrong with the system before?

Nobody said you in particular, but I know of plenty of people who take their whatever system to use for family games at night or to watch Blu-rays when where they're going doesn't have these facilities. And usually no Internet either.

So that's the solution to everything is it? When previously it was fine playing games offline, now a new system has been introduced we all just have to stop what we're doing with it? What was wrong with the system before?

No one takes an XBox on vacation. There's better things to take with than a console. A tablet or laptop perhaps to watch Netflix, but the point of going on vacation is to get out and not sit in where ever.

We've been online for some years now. Your PC is always connected, your cell phone is always connected, and chances are your tablet is too. You're clutching straws here.

Problem I have with "always on" or any sort of similar tech on a console is that in 10 or more years, when I want to go all nostalgia on then-old games, I won't be able to. Because, you know, Microsoft will have disabled the servers. Or if Microsoft's servers go down. Something.

But that's a problem for the future, I guess.

No one takes an XBox on vacation. There's better things to take with than a console. A tablet or laptop perhaps to watch Netflix, but the point of going on vacation is to get out and not sit in where ever.

We've been online for some years now. Your PC is always connected, your cell phone is always connected, and chances are your tablet is too. You're clutching straws here.

Did you not read a single thing I said? Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others don't.

I've asked this in another thread, but what good does this system actually bring to consumers?

• Like 1

Did you not read a single thing I said?

I read it. But with easier to transport devices, I just don't believe you.

I've asked this in another thread, but what good does this system actually bring to consumers?

A fully integrated entertainment experience. You get TV, games, apps, and account integration all in one box. You get extra content for all of those things because of the online integration and don't have to turn off one thing or change the input or do anything for another experience. And you can do it all without a controller if you please. I, for one, can't wait.

Did you not read a single thing I said? Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others don't.

Less clutter than the current XB360+Kinect (or PS3+Move, for that matter) - it's integrated.

HDMI passthrough is integrated - it can SHARE with another HDMI device (such as a Tivo, STB or even a PC/HTPC that supports HDMI).

Wireless connectivity is also integrated - not an add-on (as it is with current-gen consoles).

Have a separate XB360 and BD player? XB ONE can replace both.

Lastly, UNLIKE any current-gen console, it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in even a bare-bones home theater setup - in either size or color/finish. (As much as XB360 or PS3 owners don't want to admit it, both consoles stick out like szebs - and don't get me started on the Wii.)

Must I go on?

I read it. But with easier to transport devices, I just don't believe you.

You mention easier to transport devices, but not everyone has tablets or decent laptops that play DVDs with HDMI ports. You say Netflix, but again you can't use that without an Internet connection.

A fully integrated entertainment experience. You get TV, games, apps, and account integration all in one box. You get extra content for all of those things because of the online integration and don't have to turn off one thing or change the input or do anything for another experience. And you can do it all without a controller if you please. I, for one, can't wait.

If that's what interests you then great, you're exactly who Microsoft is targeting this device at. But how many people really want to buy another box that their current one will do as part of their TV package (I don't know how the US TV system works properly) and pay an extra ?40 a year to be able to flick a bit quicker between them? I don't know how core the games are to this console and I know at E3 they'll be showing more off but really they should have made a bigger presence with them here rather than a couple of trailers, because at the moment it's just doing a couple of extra things on top of what the 360 currently does, which is already a lot in the entertainment field.

You mention easier to transport devices, but not everyone has tablets or decent laptops that play DVDs with HDMI ports. You say Netflix, but again you can't use that without an Internet connection.

If that's what interests you then great, you're exactly who Microsoft is targeting this device at. But how many people really want to buy another box that their current one will do as part of their TV package (I don't know how the US TV system works properly) and pay an extra ?40 a year to be able to flick a bit quicker between them? I don't know how core the games are to this console and I know at E3 they'll be showing more off but really they should have made a bigger presence with them here rather than a couple of trailers, because at the moment it's just doing a couple of extra things on top of what the 360 currently does, which is already a lot in the entertainment field.

They made it pretty clear that this showing was going to be about the console and total experience and that E3 would be all about the games so that shouldn't have surprised anyone. And Xbox One will be able to offer a much better TV experience than any TV providers' box that I've ever seen, not to mention being able to do other things on the Xbox while watching TV or getting extra content related to what you're watching. And I'd pay for XBL anyways just to play online, so that's not an issue.

Console looks like an early 90s VCR. Excited, but wary. Always live is risky in the real world, and Kinect required is a no no for me. Games I have no doubt will be badass. As for all the other content, as an economic migrant who moves for work, as long as IP address racism,is practiced then that's all useless to me.

Dot, read? Or worse, empathize? You surely jest.

It brings none, and will only hurt them later, not that they are bright enough to see it. If anything I may simply trade the few extra features and simply build a SteamBox. Sad that such great hardware may go to waste.

I am extremely, extremely disappointed with the Xbox One. Ugly console design. Ugly Kinect design. REQUIRED Kinect in order for the console to function? Complete bullsh--. Fee to play used games. Daily/Consistent/always-on internet connection requirements. Whatever the specifics, they're retarded. I will definitely not be getting the nextbox.

Such a complete disappointment..

I am extremely, extremely disappointed with the Xbox One. Ugly console design. Ugly Kinect design. REQUIRED Kinect in order for the console to function? Complete bullsh--. Fee to play used games. Daily/Consistent/always-on internet connection requirements. Whatever the specifics, they're retarded. I will definitely not be getting the nextbox.

There is no fee.

One less complainer to hear then.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353538/xbox-one-perform-recurring-online-checks-even-for-offline-play

Used games will have some sort of trade-in/resell process. Microsoft used the term "policies" when talking about how used games are going to work. An internet connection based DRM has already been confirmed in interviews. If you think those "policies" that they talked about don't involve money, then you need to take your head out of your ass.

Regardless, even IF used games don't require money you can damn well bet those "policies" will be super restrictive. And besides, killing the used-game market is one small bad design choice for the nextbox. There is plenty of other things to be disappointed about. If you like, good for you. But for me, the console has more negatives than positives, and I won't be getting it.

Well I just watched the Press Conference. My thoughts.. the Xbox One looks pretty interesting. I'm not a big fan of the controller though, looks like one of those 3rd party controllers for the 360 to be honest. The New Kinect is very cool. It is really responsive, and the change to TV is also really interesting as well. Forza 5.. looks .. well I have to actually watch gameplay before I say anything about it. COD? To be honest, 'Shark still looks fake'. Still looks like the same Call of Duty, with a high res texture pack.

I Wasn't impressed with the games announced.. like the EA Sports line up. I personally don't care about Basketball, NFL or Soccer. So yeah.. that's what I thought of it. At least it was better than the Sony Press Conference. I think one thing people over looked was that i has a Blu Ray drive. I was like what?

Edit : Forgot about one thing.. Halo TV series Produced by Spielberg? Hmm. Now that's a interesting one.

Some people just don't understand much.

XBOX ONE is not huge, in fact it looks like any other component you'd have by your TV. Looks like a Cable HD PVR.

As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect. There's no reason why it should be smaller or some weird looking shaped thing.

And as for the name, it is not XBOX 1, it's XBOX ONE. Big difference. ONE as in one device to rule them all.

Makes perfect sense to me.

It's an all in one entertainment device. If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that.