Xbox: A New Generation Revealed

I think, for the answer to that we'll have to wait until there's some actual real world data and not just pure hyped numbers and rumored numbers that are in essence meaningless.

Xbox One has weaker specs than the PS4 #dealwithit

Xbox One has weaker specs than the PS4 #dealwithit

Even if it does turn out to have "weaker" physical specs you can sure as hell bet that the XB1 will outdo the PS4 on software's communication with bare metal. The PS3 was meant to have a better C/GPU then the Xbox 360 yet the Xbox 360 is capable of rendering superior colours and graphics because of limitation in Open GL as well as the RAM balls up by Sony. Having said that, we can leave the speculation until we actually have some solid info and it sure as hell isn't too late for MS to ramp up the GPU if they feel it necessary.

Even if it does turn out to have "weaker" physical specs you can sure as hell bet that the XB1 will outdo the PS4 on software's communication with bare metal. The PS3 was meant to have a better C/GPU then the Xbox 360 yet the Xbox 360 is capable of rendering superior colours and graphics because of limitation in Open GL as well as the RAM balls up by Sony. Having said that, we can leave the speculation until we actually have some solid info and it sure as hell isn't too late for MS to ramp up the GPU if they feel it necessary.

Um, yes it is. A change as significant as that isn't something you do 6 months before launch.

• Like 2

Um, yes it is. A change as significant as that isn't something you do 6 months before launch.

I'm not referring to 6 months I'm talking 1-2 years...

Tell me exactly your source for OpenGL colors and graphics, because I use it for my PhD (together with OpenCL) and that's not precisely what I have read.

I'm not referring to 6 months I'm talking 1-2 years...

Never going to happen, the Xbox Slim SoC actually ran faster than the phat Xbox but they limited the performance. There is no way they would have two different performing Xboxes.

After a quick skim of the Architectural roundtable thing after the event they said that the GPU does 768 operations per cycle. The leak that came out a couple of months ago which got all the PS4 specs right said that the X1 GPU will be 12CU with a combined 768 shader threads.

Which means the X1 will have a GPU that is 50% weaker than the PS4 GPU.

Microsoft has made a terrible mistake banking on the media functions that will only work in the US at launch with weak specs to bring the price down so they can bundle kinect in the box.

I was hoping it wouldn't be true but like this gen with the PS3 dragging the graphics down for multiplatform, the X1 is going to do it next gen.

Developers will be able to offload certain tasks to Windows Azure so the processing power is not exactly limited to what's in the box. I read something in the passing yesterday and will try to find the source.

Edit: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-microsofts-super-geeks-reveal-whats-inside-the-hardware/

But the cool thing about the box ? which has chips with 5 billion transistors in them ? is that it can tap supercomputers in web-connected data centers to do processing.

The cloud can tackle tasks in games like physics, artificial intelligence, and even some rendering. The tasks that require low latency, with split second interaction between one chip or one device and another, are those that the box ? not the cloud ? still needs to handle.

Developers will be able to offload certain tasks to Windows Azure so the processing power is not exactly limited to what's in the box. I read something in the passing yesterday and will try to find the source.

If they do that then always online is required and it means that game cannot be played offline, unless of course the game somehow has a cut down version playable offline (worse graphics/framerate?). That would not make your audience happy.

Always online offloading is simply best left to online/MP components (stat tracking/servers/voice chat) and/or things like cloud saving automatically/patching the game. Making it part of the actual game playing process, especially a single player element, is a slippery slope - See Sim City needing always online for "processing power".

Edit: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-microsofts-super-geeks-reveal-whats-inside-the-hardware/

I remember that a bit but not details. I think that a developer can have parts up on Azure, this way games can be bigger, specially for MP they said. Also they dropped the line about the game world being persistent and changing, so like with Destiny which has SP play but the world itself is online iirc.

Was not impressed with the reveal. Plan on skipping X1. I've had all those features on PC for years now. I'll just upgrade my rig I suppose. Maybe grab a SSD, double my ram, new vid card...

If they do that then always online is required and it means that game cannot be played offline, unless of course the game somehow has a cut down version playable offline (worse graphics/framerate?). That would not make your audience happy.

Always online offloading is simply best left to online/MP components (stat tracking/servers/voice chat) and/or things like cloud saving automatically/patching the game. Making it part of the actual game playing process, especially a single player element, is a slippery slope - See Sim City needing always online for "processing power".

It could work if offloading was done for multiplayer games. Destructive environments come to mind. That said, if this is something companies wanted to do, they could have done it on PCs years ago, which makes me believe it's a bit of a pie in the sky, maybe we'll need this in 8 years statement.

It could work if offloading was done for multiplayer games. Destructive environments come to mind. That said, if this is something companies wanted to do, they could have done it on PCs years ago, which makes me believe it's a bit of a pie in the sky, maybe we'll need this in 8 years statement.

Well they're trying to do with complete streaming - Onlive.

SimCity CLAIMED it needed an online connection for all the calculations it had to do, but a cracker proved that wrong (plays offline completely fine) and it simply turned out to be DRM. So yeah you make a good point about PC's...

I believe these are your dimensions

5D9MdIh.png

Also from this video

• Acknowledges Sony has faster RAM but can't do comparison as he doesn't know the full capability of their hardware/OS, but believes XB1 games will look just as good if not better
  • Acknowledges around 3GB of RAM reserved for OS
  • Hints that no headset included with console. Suggests Kinect will be default device acting as microphone

https://www.gameinfo...rc-whitten.aspx

Tell me exactly your source for OpenGL colors and graphics, because I use it for my PhD (together with OpenCL) and that's not precisely what I have read.

What do you use in your PhD for and what have you read? If you are using OpenGL on Windows you are essentially just interfacing through a wrapper of DirectX (makes it usable), if you are using it on OSX or a Linux distribution the story gets interesting pretty quick.

For anyone that does have a sense of humour

Was going to post this.

Not much good for us non-US gamers.

I think, for the answer to that we'll have to wait until there's some actual real world data and not just pure hyped numbers and rumored numbers that are in essence meaningless.

Anandtech already have you covered, at least to the best of what they can do with what's known - https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1153830-anandtech-xbox-one-vs-ps4-hardware-comparison/

For anyone that does have a sense of humour

I think it's two minutes too long :laugh:. Show them saying TV, Movies, Halo, CoD, FIFA, EA and Activision once and you are done. 30secs tops!

I believe these are your dimensions

5D9MdIh.png

Also from this video

• Acknowledges Sony has faster RAM but can't do comparison as he doesn't know the full capability of their hardware/OS, but believes XB1 games will look just as good if not better
  • Acknowledges around 3GB of RAM reserved for OS
  • Hints that no headset included with console. Suggests Kinect will be default device acting as microphone

https://www.gameinfo...rc-whitten.aspx

Pretty much what I said yesterday. It's not "huge" by any scale.

I think it's actually around the same size as the original Xbox 360. That picture with Geoff Keighley must simply be angles working their trade, as it looks massive in it.

I think it's actually around the same size as the original Xbox 360.

That's what wired said. Looking at the backside, there is a good chance the brick is inside this time.

Size isn't really the issue. It's butt ugly, and the design is terrible.

Well the half/half design really is downright silly. MS must employee talented design teams, and pay them well, what world trends of the past year have suggested such a design? I guess they did come up with Windows 8 :p

Well the half/half design really is downright silly. MS must employee talented design teams, and pay them well, what world trends of the past year have suggested such a design? I guess they did come up with Windows 8 :p

It looks like a lot of vents for cooling. I guess they needed a lot but wanted to break it up as well. With that much venting it better run silent.