UAC and empty screen

So in Windows 8 when you get a UAC prompt it appears on an empty screen with just your wallpaper visible. Is it possible to change that behavior so it acts like previous versions of Windows instead?

I know its just a cosmetic issue but I don't like it.

I don't think this is possible.

Though I'm not sure, perhaps it was changed because some . . . not-so-bright individuals were clicking on the wrong dialog box.

Hello,

I have not tried this myself since it reduces the security of the system, but you might try adding a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"PromptOnSecureDesktop"==DWORD:00000000

registry entry and see if that works for you under Microsoft Windows 8.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Note that UAC on the secure desktop (what you originally describe) has been a feature since Vista, so if you're seeing something different then it's actually been changed.  Turning off the secure desktop prompt isn't the default behavior, for what it's worth, and it does make it easier for malware to watch the elevation as it now happens in-session with all of your other non-privileged processes, versus on the secure desktop and out-of-session.

AFAIK on Vista and Windows 7, your desktop icons, background windows, and the taskbar were all still visible with the Secure Desktop. It was just dimmed. Windows 8 is different because you only see your wallpaper.

If that is not correct, then I have no idea.

AFAIK on Vista and Windows 7, your desktop icons, background windows, and the taskbar were all still visible with the Secure Desktop. It was just dimmed. Windows 8 is different because you only see your wallpaper.

If that is not correct, then I have no idea.

That is correct. However, I would advise you against disabling Secure Desktop, particularly if your decision is based solely on its appearance.

That is correct. However, I would advise you against disabling Secure Desktop, particularly if your decision is based solely on its appearance.

I will keep your advice in mind.