[general] AutoPatcher XP for other languages

hehe... multiligual support means recode from scratch :D would need to use resource editor, which is very buggy... would make AutoPatcher a hell lot slower...

/Raptor

Just to get things straight, because I'm a bit confused........ :blink:

Is the December update going to have the Dutch update files, or just some Dutch texts in it???????

Just to get things straight, because I'm a bit confused........ :blink:

Is the December update going to have the Dutch update files, or just some Dutch texts in it???????

The December Update will be 100% English. BUT - I will be releasing custom language packs that will upgrade your install to the language of your choice (the documentation and the updates).

The December Update will be 100% English. BUT - I will be releasing custom language packs that will upgrade your install to the language of your choice (the documentation and the updates).

O.k......to get it straight: This December release will be all English, but future updates wil have (for example) Dutch update files (so you can use Autopatcher with a Dutch version of XP) and Dutch texts?

O.k......to get it straight: This December release will be all English, but future updates wil have (for example) Dutch update files (so you can use Autopatcher with a Dutch version of XP) and Dutch texts?

Um... not exactly... let me explain it a little better.

You want a Dutch version of AutoPatcher XP, let's say. This is what you would do:

1. Download AutoPatcher XP Dec Update

2. Download AutoPatcher XP Dutch Language Pack

3. Run Updater in Dutch Language Pack, will convert the files and documentation in the December Update to their Dutch versions.

:)

but jason, wouldnt it be better to just make a dutch version of the December release instead of making a special pack... i mean it would save a lot of MBs... they would download 180MB + 100MB = 280MB for the dutch pack... they would only have to download 180MB...

Just a thought...

/Raptor

but jason, wouldnt it be better to just make a dutch version of the December release instead of making a special pack... i mean it would save a lot of MBs... they would download 180MB + 100MB = 280MB for the dutch pack... they would only have to download 180MB...

Just a thought...

/Raptor

I guess that's true, but I was looking at the space point of view... if I did that for Dutch, I'd have to do it for all of them. I just thought Lang Packs would be the way to go... hmmm... I'll figure somethin' out. :)

Cool... and while you are at it... don't forget the Belgian language pack :D.

I am kidding Flish, there is no such language as Belgian :no:.

We are 3-lingual by defaul and Dutch is one of them ;).

Cool... and while you are at it... don't forget the Belgian language pack :D.

I am kidding Flish, there is no such language as Belgian :no:.

We are 3-lingual by defaul and Dutch is one of them ;).

Actually I knew that! :D I lived close to Belgium for about 5 years, and visited a few times (I even have an old scar from a Belgium Amusement Park). :)

Hi All,

New member here (but no noob on PCs). I'd like to thank FlishFun and Raptor for their work, great idea, even better job.

After finding my way down here I discovered that I was not the only one with my wish. Got a couple of questions though. First of all, let me begin to say I am in desparate need for a Dutch version, as a sysadmin for a social department, providing jobs for less able folks, I am 'blessed' with a batch of probably the most illiterate pc-users you've ever seen. Strike that, I don't think you can begin to imagine...they're the kind that has even trouble reading/understanding anything put before them in their own language, let alone English. (for those understanding Dutch, the expression 'sociale werkplaats' says enough I trust)

:cry: To top it all, since they're almost all too ignorant to do this themselves, my boss decided, somewhere before my time, that if employees have problems with home machines, they can bring these in the IT dep. and we'll put it back in a running condition, cleaned of garbage and updated and all (thank you boss! :pinch: ).

So you can appreciate my need for something that is as idiot proof as possible, as such I am very motivated to get a totally Dutch version working.

Now, what I like to know is,

what is the current status of any translations being done ?

need any help ? (if I can help speed things up, do not hesitate to ask, got oodles of time)

Also, I read somewhere in this thread something about the patcher becoming slow if I were to do a resource translation of the main program? In relation to this and the fact I need to download both a full English autopatcher and all the corresponding Dutch updates, suppose we (Dutch volunteers) can find a place to host a full Dutch version, would it be possible to reach some kind of agreement where these same volunteers would gain permission to keep it in sync with the English version on their own, releaving FlishFun and Raptor of the need to maintain language dependant installs?

Regards

welcome to neowin :p it's a gr8 place...

let me get things straight...you want to have a full dutch version of autopatcher so that your end-users can update their pc by themselves?

cuz if you want to do that you will have to download ALL the DUTCH updates yourself and rename them to the english filenames of the original AP update-files :p

i dunno if flish is solving that in the upcoming update but this is the way it should work..i guess....

but if you want that those ppl @ your social workshop:P to do it themselves....i dunno...don;t u think it's better to do it yourself?...AP is really easy but for total computer n00bs who only speak "marokkaans of turks" :p i think u should just do it yourself :p to prevent them cumming back :p

Thnx for the welcome :D ,

To get things straight, it is not because these folks speak 'Turks' or 'Marokaans' (I would not dare begin to include these languages too since I don't speak them) but simply because most lack the mental capabilities to understand what they're doing. They're the kind that is just capable enough to do MSN or hotmail, but are lost finding their way to the start menu.

Basically what I want to do is for those folks to create a special version (only for personal use) that runs completely unattended, that leaves me with only the initial dialog(s) to translate I guess. OTOH, once you're going to do some translating, it would be a little thing to go all the way and do a full translation for those who are more comfortable with doing an interactive update but still can't read English.

Regards

PS. And I realize they'll be in anyways, but it is no use going into discussion with them about this since they will do it anyways, no matter what you say)

thank you! I know some french (i have DELF 2 muaahahaha), but don't really count on me! We haven't seen anybody requesting a french version yet... who knows!

/Raptor

It's december......haven't had anything to translate yet....very curious on how things are going......Allready designed a nice cover, guys????? ;o)

haha Well, yes it officially is December, but you still have a little while to wait. :)

I'm still working on everything (got no work done this last 4 day weekend because of family things I had to take care of all of my 4-day weekend... let's just say my brother needs to get a serious beating)... and it should all be done on time, hopefully. lol I'm shootin' for Dec 15th... but if it gets done sooner, it'll be out sooner (it won't be out any later than Dec 26th though [at 7:00 PM on Dec 26th I will be limited to 8 min a day on the PC until Jan 4th], so don't worry).

I promise to send you the documentation to translate when I finish. Don't worry, I didn't forget. :D Yes, we have a nice cover so far, but it's also still being worked on.

lol I'm shootin' for Dec 15th... but if it gets done sooner, it'll be out sooner

hhmm..are you sure u can compete with the new Lord Of The Rings movie that will go in cinema;s then :p

(i'm just a lotr fan:P)

Hi guys,

I'll be more than happy to do the Hebrew version. I'll get those updates tonight.

:-)

-E-

Thanks! :D

@Twisted Maniac - Hmmm... yeah, I'm sure more people will see that movie than the new AutoPatcher, but whatcha gonna do? lol

@theteek - I'm tryin'! :)