SUV Runs over biker in NYC

Of course, it is possible that a biker was driving alone, minding his own business, and then all of a sudden, he got cut off by a huge SUV whose driver didn't bother to check his mirrors and blind spots. Naturally, the biker called his buddies up for help, hypothetically speaking.

This is kind of the point I was making before--we do not know what happened before the cam was turned on.

Of course, it is possible that a biker was driving alone, minding his own business, and then all of a sudden, he got cut off by a huge SUV whose driver didn't bother to check his mirrors and blind spots. Naturally, the biker called his buddies up for help, hypothetically speaking.

I'm not following.  The SUV was surrounded, the bike moved in front, then brake checked.  I didn't see anything like what you described happen.

I'm not following.  The SUV was surrounded, the bike moved in front, then brake checked.  I didn't see anything like what you described happen.

But that's exactly the point, my friend. We can only judge by the information that's available to us. We just don't know anything about what may have happened between them before the camera was turned on or if there was even anyone with a camera around :)

But that's exactly the point, my friend. We can only judge by the information that's available to us. We just don't know anything about what may have happened between them before the camera was turned on or if there was even anyone with a camera around :)

As the article states, it was the annual street ride.

Well, either way, idiots taking the law into their own hands causes crap like this to spin out of control.

I don't even own a bike. Nor am I willing to change my POV.

The thing is, most of the guys here are talking about "being a parent" and "protecting the kid" but the behavior of the dumbass in the SUV was nowhere near protecting the kid what.so.ever. He only made things worse. Common sense - SUV'S CAN NOT OUT RUN BIKES! another fact - BIKERS DO NOT WAIT FOR COPS! Guess what is going to happen when you run over 2-3 bikers when there's another 30 around? You will get the living shet beaten out of you. End of story. 

He should be thanking god those guys weren't in HA, beating would be the least they would do to him.

The thing is, most of the guys here are talking about "being a parent" and "protecting the kid" but the behavior of the dumbass in the SUV was nowhere near protecting the kid what.so.ever. He only made things worse. Common sense - SUV'S CAN NOT OUT RUN BIKES! another fact - BIKERS DO NOT WAIT FOR COPS! Guess what is going to happen when you run over 2-3 bikers when there's another 30 around? You will get the living shet beaten out of you. End of story. 

None of the bikers' behavior protected the family either.  If someone brake checked you, surrounded you when you stopped, then started beating on your car and trying to get in, then the outcome would be bad no matter what choice was made.  I would KILL anyone who tried to get into that car for no other reason than to protect my family (and yes, I am a father).

They are lucky the driver didn't have a gun.  The driver is lucky they didn't (or didn't pull one).

It was a bunch of bad decisions by both sides.

None of the bikers' behavior protected the family either.  If someone brake checked you, surrounded you when you stopped, then started beating on your car and trying to get in, then the outcome would be bad no matter what.  I would KILL anyone who tried to get into that car for no other reason than to protect my family (and yes, I am a father).

They are lucky the driver didn't have a gun.  The driver is lucky they didn't (or didn't pull one).

It was a bunch of bad decisions by both sides.

Now, this is what I agree on.

That is true. Also true is if the driver of the SUV had stopped to make sure everyone was okay instead of being a jerk none of this may have happened. But the bikers did over react as bikers usually do.I know several of them. 

But it also makes you a dumbass to pick a fight with a 2 ton vehicle.

• Like 2

Everybody needs space. Fault is on the driver to have not respected the rights of bikers on the road on the first place. See? anybody complain if all the bikes were cars or like being in a traffic Jam. Can't comment on the road rage and what it leads to though .

Other vehicles(at start for example) seem to be passing the bikers no problem .

But it also makes you a dumbass to pick a fight with a 2 ton vehicle.

Sure it does, never said it didn't but you just can't run over 30 bikers with your 2 ton SUV.

The guy just over reacted. Way too badly for him and didn't think trough what was going to happen next. You can't see on the video that they started to drag him out of the car before the first run over so we can only speculate.

Everybody needs space. Fault is on the driver to have not respected the rights of bikers on the road on the first place. See? anybody complain if all the bikes were cars or like being in a traffic Jam. Can't comment on the road rage and what it leads to though .

Other vehicles(at start for example) seem to be passing the bikers no problem .

Respecting rights of other drivers goes out the door when you brake check them.

I swear the scumbags that do this have a special place in Hell waiting for them.

That is true. Also true is if the driver of the SUV had stopped to make sure everyone was okay instead of being a jerk none of this may have happened. But the bikers did over react as bikers usually do.I know several of them. 

As can be seen in the video, the RR then stops. According to the police report the bikers then start hitting the RR doors and panels, with more bikers coming his way. The guy was with family, heck even if he was alone, he was justified by the flight response.

• Like 2

Anyway, it's stories like these (and attitudes like some of yours) that make me not regret having sold my bike a few months ago. I miss it, but it really is too dangerous these days. Vehicles are huge and drivers are distracted with mobile phones, or just a product of today's society and are self-absorbed, oblivious, and discourteous. Maybe next time I move it will be a friendlier area and I can get another one. Maybe.

Anyway, it's stories like these (and attitudes like some of yours) that make me not regret having sold my bike a few months ago. I miss it, but it really is too dangerous these days. Vehicles are huge and drivers are distracted with mobile phones, or just a product of today's society and are self-absorbed, oblivious, and discourteous. Maybe next time I move it will be a friendlier area and I can get another one. Maybe.

Why would you want a vehicle where the crumple zone is your face? :P

The thing is though, brake checking on a bike isn't exactly a friendly gesture and was very dangerous for the biker and the SUV, as well as those around them.

Treat others how you want to be treated...and all that stuff.

If you are going around brake checking people, you don't deserve to have a bike, car, SUV, or even a license for that matter.

Not sure if you saw it in the video, but the driver did stop after the first hit (and according to the police report - the other bikers began hitting the SUV).  Only AFTER the driver felt threatened did he gun it through the crowd (I agree was a mistake but I cant say that I wouldnt have done the same if put in that situation).

Not sure if you saw it in the video, but the driver did stop after the first hit (and according to the police report - the other bikers began hitting the SUV).  Only AFTER the driver felt threatened did he gun it through the crowd (I agree was a mistake but I cant say that I wouldnt have done the same if put in that situation).

I'm not sure what the proper response would have been.

If someone is hitting your vehicle after you stop and you have a family inside...

Use of force to get out of there seems to be a bad response, but really the only one you could take.  Police response time is pathetic, so calling them should have been done, but just staying there doesn't seem to be a good idea.  If the bikers were going to injure or kill them, the police wouldn't have shown up in time to prevent it.

I'm not sure what the proper response would have been.

If someone is hitting your vehicle after you stop and you have a family inside...

Use of force to get out of there seems to be a bad response, but really the only one you could take.  Police response time is pathetic, so calling them should have been done, but just staying there doesn't seem to be a good idea.  If the bikers were going to injure or kill them, the police wouldn't have shown up in time to prevent it.

Exactly - I am not saying what the driver did was a good idea, but given the circumstances its one of those things that you cant risk waiting to see what will happen.  Overall it seems the injuries weren't that bad so I'd say things could have ended much worse.  No winners here.

this sounds like a trick for insurance fraud. maybe not literally. But it was planned. if it were legit. the bikers would simply call for police to report the supposed accident. but with the child and wife safety involved and proof of attack on the SUV. the biker went from being  supposed victim to probable suspect. hope the dad got the license plate number of the bike.

the bikers committed I'm sure what is called a felony

Yes, I saw that. My first thought would have been not only to stop but to get out to make sure everyone was okay. I would have been horrified if I had done such a thing. Being really sorry and showing it might have went a long way.

this sounds like a trick for insurance fraud. maybe not literally. But it was planned. if it were legit. the bikers would simply call for police to report the supposed accident. but with the child and wife safety involved and proof of attack on the SUV. the biker went from being  supposed victim to probable suspect. hope the dad got the license plate number of the bike.

the bikers committed I'm sure what is called a felony

I'd agree, if they hadn't started beating on the vehicle when it stopped (if the police report is accurate).

Yes, I saw that. My first thought would have been not only to stop but to get out to make sure everyone was okay. I would have been horrified if I had done such a thing. Being really sorry and showing it might have went a long way.

Would you have stepped out if they cornered your vehicle from all sides and started hitting it?

My first reaction is to get out and assess damage and injuries too, and help out if I can.  However that all changes if they start showing aggression.