PS4 Owner Impressions

My PS4 arrived yesterday... then died this morning. :(

Worked well for a while but on subsequent boots it started giving me the BLOD. Turning it off and rebooting seemed to fix it, but it kept doing it. Knowing that the BLOD was related to HDMI out, I figured it could be to do with my HDMI switcher and planned to test it today. However, by this morning it wouldn't do anything but BLOD (tried without the switcher, tried different cables and even tried a different TV).

Thankfully, Sony support were great. The guy ran me through a few attempts at booting to safe mode (which it wouldn't do... would just shut off instead) and then arranged for a replacement swap via courier tomorrow. :D Fingers crossed...

Worked well for a while but on subsequent boots it started giving me the BLOD. Turning it off and rebooting seemed to fix it, but it kept doing it. Knowing that the BLOD was related to HDMI out, I figured it could be to do with my HDMI switcher and planned to test it today. However, by this morning it wouldn't do anything but BLOD (tried without the switcher, tried different cables and even tried a different TV).

Thankfully, Sony support were great. The guy ran me through a few attempts at booting to safe mode (which it wouldn't do... would just shut off instead) and then arranged for a replacement swap via courier tomorrow. :D Fingers crossed...

Sorry to hear about this, but don't tell DrunknMunky about your returns experience :p

That stinks.  Luckily sony is on the ball.  I had my Replacement PS4 within 4 days of calling.  That includes them sending the empty box -> me returning my blod ps4 -> the facility sending the new one.

It always sucks to lose your console like that, but thankfully it should get sorted out soon.

That stinks.  Luckily sony is on the ball.  I had my Replacement PS4 within 4 days of calling.  That includes them sending the empty box -> me returning my blod ps4 -> the facility sending the new one.

I was expecting it to be the same deal here, so I was surprised when he said they could do a straight swap via courier tomorrow. Just hope the replacement is all good.

It always sucks to lose your console like that, but thankfully it should get sorted out soon.

Was rather painful when it wouldn't do a thing this morning, especially after it "recovered" from each BLOD yesterday. :(

Sorry to hear about this, but don't tell DrunknMunky about your returns experience :p

Haha. :p Has he even managed to get a replacement Xbox yet? :blink:

Thanks guys (Y)

I was expecting it to be the same deal here, so I was surprised when he said they could do a straight swap via courier tomorrow. Just hope the replacement is all good.

Was rather painful when it wouldn't do a thing this morning, especially after it "recovered" from each BLOD yesterday. :(

Haha. :p Has he even managed to get a replacement Xbox yet? :blink:

Thanks guys (Y)

Nope :(

I got my PS4 today. Everything works fine so far. I was really stressed after some youtube videos about two things:

1. Plugging the HDMI cable and

2. Inserting a game so i could see if i would have any issues with the drive (noise,not reading etc)

Slots work as they should, no weird noises from blu ray drive, fans are pretty quiet and after 4 hours the system is warm (not hot) in normal levels.

Also hooked it up with my Vita and tried some voide commands using the headset. Really impressed with DS4 as well which feels amazing to use and like the addition of the speaker (i was suprised by picking up a voice recorder on Killzone and start listening sound of it :D ).

The homescreen menu though needs some work imo but i can handle it.

Downloading demo of FIFA 2014 as we speak.  :D

• Like 2

Vita remote play is pretty awesome. I have only used it locally on my home network, but the speed was pretty good. I tried out Resogun, Killzone, and Warframe. There wasn't any noticeable lag when I played Resogun or Warframe. There was a slight delay in Killzone, but nothing too bad. I wouldn't recommend using it for multiplayer though. It was pretty cool laying in bed playing Resogun while my girlfriend was watching tv. Definitelly one of my favorite features so far.

Vita remote play is pretty awesome. I have only used it locally on my home network, but the speed was pretty good. I tried out Resogun, Killzone, and Warframe. There wasn't any noticeable lag when I played Resogun or Warframe. There was a slight delay in Killzone, but nothing too bad. I wouldn't recommend using it for multiplayer though. It was pretty cool laying in bed playing Resogun while my girlfriend was watching tv. Definitelly one of my favorite features so far.

Good to hear, will be picking one up once the PS4's are back in stock. Can you give an extended review on how the Vita remote play works.

My copy of Lego Marvel came today, can't wait till after work to play some with my GF.

Your in for some fun. Its a great coop game. My wife and I have enjoyed it so far. If you have enjoyed the previous Lego games, well its a slam dunk.

Well I got my replacement PS4 the other day and although I haven't played it much it has worked great so far. Despite my initial reservations about the UI it is actually quite intuitive in use and very snappy. (Y)

Had a quick go on Resogun, Flower and Knack. Resogun is great, and Flower looks gorgeous too. Not played a lot of Knack, but it reminds me of older platformers like Crash and isn't as bad as reviews made out. Currently working my way through AC:Revelations/AC:III on the PS3 so I can get to Black Flag. :p

got mine yesterday, excellent experience. only "complaint" is the PlayGo download while you game thing seems to not only lower the resolution a little, but also lock you out of MP. this is fine though, the smoothness of the system is incredible. being able to play a 30-40GB game in less than 30 seconds is a major accomplishment. I just wish publishers like Ubisoft would finally give up on silly MP "passports" and that PSN DLC codes etc. will take a hint from XBL and drop regional coding (XBL codes are MOSTLY region free to be honest - I mean game content like extra gear, pre-order bonuses, etc.).

• 1 month later...

Playing sporadically over the last two weeks since I got my PS4, and I am still really enjoying it. Though I do wish the controller's battery life was better. I really hope they update the firmware to allow you to turn off the LED. It's really not useful if you don't have a PS camera. But there are plenty of positives to balance out the few negatives I have.

I really love the suspend functionality. For example, yesterday when I was playing Knack, the girlfriend wanted to watch a movie, so I hit the PS button on the controller and loaded Netflix. We watched a movie and when it was done, I hit the PS4 button again, clicked on Knack, and it immediately went back to the game in the pause menu right where I left off. Glorious.

I also platinum'd Knack yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I'm working on Resogun and Killzone now. I'll eventually get to the 3rd party games, but for right now I'm satisfied with the 1st party stuff. Resogun coop is also awesomely good fun too. My brother and I like playing "chuck-the-human" for extra laughs. It's completely unnecessary, but also completely worth it.

So spacer, you're one of the few people who say Knack is a bit better than the reviews, worth ?20 for a co-op playthrough? 

Will probably wait for ?10-15 2nd hand tbh, with the amount of the game put into bundles I'm sure there will be a Knack landfill in the not to distant year.

PS4 Japan launch reviews hit Famitsu, all the scores here

Thursday, 13th February 2014 11:26 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 is poised to strike Japan on February 22, and this week?s issue of Famitsu features reviews of the starting line-up.

The scores were collated by Gematsu and go as follows:

• Assassin?s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) ? 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4) ? 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
  • Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (PS4) ? 9/10/9/9 [37/40]
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) ? 8/8/8/8 [32/40]
  • Knack (PS4) ? 6/7/8/7 [28/40]
  • NBA 2K14 (PS4) ? 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
  • Nobunaga?s Ambition: Creation (PS4) ? 10/9/9/8 [36/40]
  • Resogun (PS4) ? 9/8/9/7 [33/40]
  • Strider (PS4) ? 9/8/8/9 [34/40]
  • Tomb Raider (PS4) ? 9/9/9/10 [37/40]
  • Yakuza: Ishin (PS4) ? 9/10/10/10 [39/40]

By comparison, Gematsu also posted Famitsu?s PS3 launch reviews to remind us all of how that all went down.

• Sega Golf Club: 7, 7, 7, 7 [28/40]
  • Genji: 7,7,7,8 [29/40]
  • Resistance: 9,8,8,8 [33/40]
  • Gundam: Target in Sight (aka Crossfire): 8,8,8,8 [32/40]
  • Ridge Racer 7: 9,9,9,9 [36/40]

There?s also a run of non-PS4 titles reviewed in this week?s issue:

• Chou no Doku: Hana no Kusari Taishou Tsuyakoi Ibun (PSV) ? 9/9/7/7 [32/40]
  • Kuroko no Basuke: Shouri e no Kiseki (3DS) ? 8/8/8/8 [32/40]
  • Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Taisen Sangokushi Engi (PS3) ? 7/7/7/6 [27/40]
  • Strider (PS3) ? 9/8/8/9 [34/40]
  • Yakuza: Ishin (PS3) ? 9/9/10/10 [38/40]

What do you make of the scores?

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/13/ps4-japan-launch-reviews-hit-famitsu-all-the-scores-here/

Well it looks like Sony will have at least a couple Japanese focused titles available at the launch of the ps4.

Dynasty Warriors and Yakuza should help move units. Its too bad Deep Down got delayed, although considering it is free to play, maybe it wasn't going to wow us anyway.

I finally opened the PS4, decided to grab a PS+ pass (did the 3month to try it out)... Decided to grab Resogun and Outlast.  Not bad so far.  

You buying and finally playing it has been one soap opera for sure  :laugh:

You buying and finally playing it has been one soap opera for sure  :laugh:

Yeah it has been....  :D

I tried to time my purchase, for inFamous...  hard to give the PS4 any attention... With PS+, I'm gonna be trying out games I never would have bothered to buy, or rent or whatever...

I have decided to give some of my thoughts to the PS4.

What is going on with the notification area? I've only had the PS4 powered on for a few days, and it's already a cluttered mess. Too much going on in this area.

Download/installs. I notice when I'm downing a game, there's 2 instances of it running one says ready to install. One says downloading... Or it says ready to install 10minutes ago, but the game is still downloading and has quite a bit of ways to go.

Is the game there or is not? Why can't it be one picture of the game and a status bar for it. I was confused when downing Resogun and Outlast. And even more confused while grabbing WarFrame and Blacklight. I'm sure there will an update to streamline this. But it's confusing and annoying. I decided to walk away from the PS4 for an hour or so and just assume that the game is done downloading/installing (just like villains assume the hero is dead :-) )

Haven't even bothered with any of the Social Media aspects of the system yet. Probably won't even bother.