PS4 Owner Impressions

+Audioboxer

Did anyone on Neowin actually get a PS4 today? If so, impressions?

trooper11

I will have mine between noon and 3, so that's 2-5 hours from now.  I'll share when I can.

+Audioboxer

I will have mine between noon and 3, so that's 2-5 hours from now. I'll share when I can.

Sounds good! I need to wait until the 29th :( Only benefit is I hope they might have another firmware update out the door by then.

spudtrooper

Sounds good! I need to wait until the 29th :( Only benefit is I hope they might have another firmware update out the door by then.

Let everyone work out the bugs/kinks. Heck, you may even have a couple of used games available by them to save 5-10 bucks on.

Astra.Xtreme

I'm curious if anybody here will get an unfortunate lemon.

Boxster17

I've been happy with it overall, it's just a matter of getting used to how to navigate everything smoothly but I pretty much have the hang of it now.  I've only played a bit of NFS Rivals so far and will be picking up KZ shortly.  I ended up swapping KZ for NFS with my system pre-order since they didn't have many copies of NFS floating around (they only had 4 copies in the store, I'm assuming they just didn't get as many shipped since they bumped up the release date).

The overall feel of the system is very quick and responsive. The controller is a welcome evolution of the old one and feels a lot better overall.  Have the PS+ games downloaded, though haven't had the chance to play those (also grabbed some cross-buy games I had previously purchased but not sure how much I'll play those right now).  Still wish the old PS3 bluetooth headsets worked, as the one they bundle just isn't as good.

EDIT: Feel free to add me if you have any of these games as well (PSN: Boxster17)

Hum

I couldn't find where to put in the batteries ...

firey

Amazon still says "Preparing for shipment"  so won't get it until either next week or the week after.

Brandon H

I'll be getting mine in a couple weeks when stores have them in stock again (also waiting for a giftcard to arrive in the mail to use on it)

LaP

Still wish the old PS3 bluetooth headsets worked,

Keep your old PS3 bluetooth headset i'm sure it will work with a system update one day or another.

Brandon H

Keep your old PS3 bluetooth headset i'm sure it will work with a system update one day or another.

yeah some of them already work with the 1.5 update i heard

Boxster17

Yeah I'm hoping for a firmware update to support it, they had great quality so it's a bit of a pain losing it now that they finally have party chat I'll be using more with friends.  The mono headset works but it's just not as convenient as a wireless one (and it doesn't sound as good).

+Asmodai

I'm at work now but Amazon shipped mine and I tracked the package.  It says it is "out for delivery" so hopefully it will be at home when I get off tonight.

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

No, I might wait a year to see how things evolve and hear people's opinion about the PS4. Games are still coming out for the PS3, and my PS3 works great still.

• Like 1
Jason S.

i got mine last night at a Gamestop midnight release. went straight to bed last night afterwards, then work, and then i have company for the weekend so i wont even hook it up until sunday.

BajiRav

Can those who did confirm this?

• Like 2
firey

Can those who did confirm this?

All reviews spoke of how quiet it is, also none of the comments on that video reflect it.  Many are saying fake or that it is a fluke (many saying their own units are nearly silent).

Lord Method Man

Mine is "Out for Deliviery" though its a Christmas gift for someone else and I won't be opening it.

trooper11

All reviews spoke of how quiet it is, also none of the comments on that video reflect it.  Many are saying fake or that it is a fluke (many saying their own units are nearly silent).

That is not exactly true. If you read the Ars review, the broke down the sound levels and found that it was not as quiet as the ps3 slim, but was quieter than the ps3 launch system.

If you assume that video is fake, then it means nothing. If you take it at face value, well I can definitely hear it in the video.

Honestly, I think its fake because that sound is just seems off. Its more like a vacuum then a small fan in a console. Its definitely louder than what Ars or any review have mentioned, so that also puts this into question.

Either way, this is one aspect that does matter to me, so when I get mine today, I will most definitely test this out.

• Like 1
jerzdawg

Yea, either it's fake or it's a defective unit

firey

That is not exactly true. If you read the Ars review, the broke down the sound levels and found that it was not as quiet as the ps3 slim, but was quieter than the ps3 launch system.

If you assume that video is fake, then it means nothing. If you take it at face value, well I can definitely hear it in the video.

Honestly, I think its fake because that sound is just seems off. Its more like a vacuum then a small fan in a console. Its definitely louder than what Ars or any review have mentioned, so that also puts this into question.

Either way, this is one aspect that does matter to me, so when I get mine today, I will most definitely test this out.

That's what I was saying, that no review said it was loud, nor did they mention it getting loud.

BajiRav

The reason I asked was because part of the sound in that video sounded liked the poster mixed up jet engine noise into it. It might be fake, it might be a faulty unit, who knows.

trooper11

That's what I was saying, that no review said it was loud, nor did they mention it getting loud.

That's true, but when someone says quiet or loud, that can mean a lot of things. I wasn't sure if you meant that all the reviews were saying it was quiet as in near silent, or just quieter than this video might claim.

firey

The reason I asked was because part of the sound in that video sounded liked the poster mixed up jet engine noise into it. It might be fake, it might be a faulty unit, who knows.

Everything I've seen leads me to believe it's definitely not normal/expected behavior.