Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

For the record, I don't believe this is an accident.  But I'm not prepared to state it as fact.  I only base it on my knowledge and love for commercial aviation.  I'm certainly no expert.

Basing your opinion on no wreckage is flawed.  If the pilot was indeed in control, there is every chance it was successfully ditched into ocean, and sunk.  US1549 is a good example of a recent well documented ditch.  Pilots train to ditch in the ocean.

There's a huge difference though between US1549 and this though. The US flight was an Airbus A320, this was a 777 -- The RR Trent 892 has a fan diameter of 110in vs the 78-80" of the A320. I believe one of the A320 engines ripped off upon impact. The larger diameter fan would pretty much mean that one, if not both of them ripped off upon impact. In addition, luggage from the US flight was found floating in the river after the crash. So, yes, there would be *some* debris, somewhere. 

I'm still betting on the plane was either shot down over China or landed safely and we'll see it again in the future...

There's a huge difference though between US1549 and this though. The US flight was an Airbus A320, this was a 777 -- The RR Trent 892 has a fan diameter of 110in vs the 78-80" of the A320. I believe one of the A320 engines ripped off upon impact. The larger diameter fan would pretty much mean that one, if not both of them ripped off upon impact. In addition, luggage from the US flight was found floating in the river after the crash. So, yes, there would be *some* debris, somewhere. 

We know from the Asiana flight, stall speed for a 772 is around 138MPH... so you assume that crash speed is around that.

I'm still betting on the plane was either shot down over China or landed safely and we'll see it again in the future...

FSS is American. And after further research, I certainly could have been incorrect. However, to think that pilots don't know how to ditch, would be a little silly.

What I don't get, people seem to think that the Indian ocean is never calm. Just because the Hudson is a river, doesn't mean it can't have ditched in the ocean. There is a very high possibility that it did ditch, and it's more than possible that it could have been a successful ditching. What I'm saying is that stating there is no wreckage, and saying that's why it hasn't crashed is wrong. I'm putting forward a scenario that is a real possibility as to why there may be no wreckage.

I think we are going on circles here. My points:

1. Pilots are not required to train to ditch. Therefore you cannot be certain that the pilots on MH370 were trained to ditch.

2. As mentioned by other posters, even if you ditch the plane in Indian Ocean, *some* debris should be appearing by now, as proved by your own US1549 landing on Hudson river.

But yes, as I said, believing it as a simple naive accident that pilots smoothly landed the plane in Indian Ocean and it sank to the bottom in one piece is much easier.

I think we are going on circles here. My points:

1. Pilots are not required to train to ditch. Therefore you cannot be certain that the pilots on MH370 were trained to ditch.

2. As mentioned by other posters, even if you ditch the plane in Indian Ocean, *some* debris should be appearing by now, as proved by your own US1549 landing on Hudson river.

But yes, as I said, believing it as a simple naive accident that pilots smoothly landed the plane in Indian Ocean and it sank to the bottom in one piece is much easier.

1.  You're correct.  That's not to say they weren't.

2.  What debris fell from the US Air incident?

Was the sound of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 striking the water captured by ocean devices used to listen for signs of nuclear blasts?

It's a long shot, but an Australian university is studying records from underwater listening devices in an effort to help find the missing plane.

"One signal has been detected on several receivers that could be related to the crash," said Alec Duncan of Curtin University's Centre for Marine Science and Technology (CMST).

Researchers are studying a very low frequency sound to see if it was "the impact of the aircraft on the water or the implosion of parts of the aircraft as it sank," Duncan said.

"But (the source of the noise) is just as likely to be a natural event," he said.

Low frequency signals can travel thousands of kilometers through water under favorable circumstances, Duncan said.

But "at the moment (the sound) appears to be inconsistent with other data about the aircraft position," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/world/asia/mh370-sound-search/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

1.  You're correct.  That's not to say they weren't.

2.  What debris fell from the US Air incident?

See my post above.

The crash of the US Airways incident still punctured holes in the fuselage. This lead to luggage getting out and floating in the water. Also, the engines of the 777 would almost 100% be ripped off upon impact. 

See my post above.

The crash of the US Airways incident still punctured holes in the fuselage. This lead to luggage getting out and floating in the water. Also, the engines of the 777 would almost 100% be ripped off upon impact. 

Personally, I still think it crashed, but not over water. I think it went down over land, in some uninhabited area.

That, or aliens got it!

The only reasoning that MH370 did not fly North, is that it 'would have been' spotted on radar by some country.

A flimsy excuse.

One expert on TV said that India, for example, often only has radar turned on if there is some special reason to.

Something odd about the whole disappearance -- it seems scripted, like a movie.

See my post above.

Given that it is untested, it still can't be ruled out.

That, or aliens got it!

Sorry, my mother sat on the plane and it disappeared ....I'm trying to get her to stand up but no luck yet ;)

3280271.jpg

:p

Well, no, two people have claimed to see what they believe to be a flaming plane. Whether they actually saw something, and whether what they saw was an aircraft on fire, are two things we do not know.

Were those two people located nearby or too far away?

Well the woman hasn't exactly been clear in the reports about where she was. The oilrig worker was in the middle of the Gulf of Thailand. The woman claims she was sailing from India to Phuket. So they were at least more than 1000 miles apart. Way, WAY too far away for them to be seeing the same thing. She said it flew over them, approaching the stern from the North. You would have to ask why the Malaysia aircraft was flying In a southerly direction, coming from the direction of Bangladesh or Myanmar/Burma, yet took off from Malaysia and we know it travelled westerly then southerly from there, nowhere near where she was (1000+ miles from where she claims she saw it, travelling southerly from the north). So yeah, she might have seen something (space debris, meteor, fireworks) but she didn't see MH370, unless it somehow teleported.

Going back to that sonar buoy or whatever it is, that was reported to have heard 'something', had this story been debunked now?

Also, if plausible, couldn't one work out it's 'hearing' range and send a team out to search it's perimeter?

Families try to raise reward for missing Malaysia jet

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia ?  Relatives of five people on board the missing Malaysian jetliner are trying to crowd source a $5 million reward for information about what happened to the plane.

The group has started a campaign on the fundraising website Indiegogo.

Just under 24 hours after it launched, the campaign had raised just over $5,000.

The group says it "wants to provide a substantial incentive for anyone who knows the truth to come forward."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/09/relatives-passengers-on-missing-malaysian-jet-attempt-to-raise-reward-for/?intcmp=latestnews

Anyone contributing $20 ... ?

• 2 weeks later...

well, just a bump but it seams that people (except the families) completely forgot about this one..  :(  :s  :no:

well, just a bump but it seams that people (except the families) completely forgot about this one..  :(  :s  :no:

If it doesn't directly affect you, people generally just shake their heads and move on to the next bit of news after a while.

If it doesn't directly affect you, people generally just shake their heads and move on to the next bit of news after a while.

while true, the fact that an advanced airplane full of people just disaperead without a trace bothers me.

I think I should want to carry my own emergency GPS gizmo that will allow them to find the plane, if I ever flew. :p

Many of the passengers would have had smartphones, all of them completely trackable by GPS.  Didn't really help, did it?

^ The phones would have to be within range of a tower,

I would carry a device that would scream bloody murder to a satellite, from anywhere.