Build Windows Discussion

630 and 635 will be launched in May. Hundreds of carriers, and will be in asia, then middle east, then Europe, then the US

630 single sim - $159

630 dual sim - $169

635 - $189

No, he did say that he wasn't announcing a new version of Windows. So, it'll be in a later update. Most likely for Fall.

I thought he meant that he wasn't announcing anything much or that it isn't official. It does seem ready for launch next year. Probably in September or next spring.

Nokia will be releasing SDKs for imaging and the SensorCore.

Only thing I think missing from WP 8.1 is, no mention of if the Hubs like people hub and me hub were updated to do more or show more social networks

I don't know if it has anything to do with Ballmer departure but the last time i heard so much good news about Microsoft must have been like 10 years ago.

This is part of Ballmer's legacy, since he eased the ropes to Satya with some projects already in progress. Next year, we will see what he can actually do as CEO.

Only thing I think missing from WP 8.1 is, no mention of if the Hubs like people hub and me hub were updated to do more or show more social networks

Mostly Cortana looking through the people hub, learning about your relations to people.

Satya is looking very casual, t-shirt and jeans.

2014-04-01_23-31-12.jpg

Isn't new CEO has artificial tone like robotic accent and trying to be native accent and trying hard to convey speech???

Working with partners like Unity, PhoneGap.

Isn't new CEO has artificial tone like robotic accent and trying to be native accent and trying hard to convey speech???

He is trying to hide the Indian accent.

what is Microsoft doing to compete against Google and Apple in tablets?

Make tablets cheaper

Make good quality apps across all devices

Make Windows for productivity

I don't know if it has anything to do with Ballmer departure but the last time i heard so much good news about Microsoft must have been like 10 years ago.

I don't think has to do much with Ballmer specifically, but with MS as a whole. Most of their groups were working separately until a year or two ago (as can be somewhat noticed by the many rumours about internal conflicts). Seems like Ballmer started to clean the place the last year or two, he even mentioned during his interview with the guy from Oxford last month (sorry if I am wrong about the actual event) that they had some prima donnas and hard nuts (don't quote me on the words, it was something along those lines) in their organisational chain.

It may be the case that these people are now leaving, thus allowing their internal departments to cooperate better. Personally, while I don't know Ballmer personally, I think that he was not a part of the "problem", but more of being stuck between a rock and a hard place, whether to keep veterans that are great at their job but do not cooperate properly, or refresh the management to allow for more cooperative work. Certainly most people that have worked with him say that he's quite passionate and all-in with his dedication to his work (judging by the many interviews I've seen).

He is trying to hide the Indian accent.

He does not need to hide it, I don't mind speaking bad accent English but at least it makes my Jaws relax and muscle little comfortable... Be straightforward and don't try to convey English lecture... Just simple this and that...

I think that I'm going to skip the next two events, and get back with typescript. If anyone's willing to summarize those events for me... be  my guest

He does not need to hide it, I don't mind speaking ###### accent English but at least it makes my Jaws relax and muscle little comfortable... Be straightforward and don't try to convey English lecture... Just simple this and that...

Yeah, however, some people have been criticized for their accent before last year on build.

Satya hints at talking about the cloud tomorrow.

On a side note, they've really improved the latency on the live stream. It was 30 seconds of delay at the start, and now it is just a few seconds.

Windows Dev center has been updated for Build.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/

Windows 8.1 Update has been released!

Visual Studio 2013 RC2 has been released,

along with Windows Embedded and Windows Server updates.

Imagine Dragons music. And we're done.

I am running behind you then... LOL!!! Not to mention our monopoly ISP due to rain and having copper infrastructure in Fiber Optic era is hiccuping...

Satya is looking very casual, t-shirt and jeans.

I wish I could wear that on the job.

So recap:

Cromax and Prestige join the Windows Phone OEM list.

Developers have access to new APIs to customize the Windows Phone operating system, like lock screen customization.

2014-04-01_21-00-34.jpg

There is an action center and notification center for Windows Phone 8.1

2014-04-01_21-00-50.jpg

You can put a background on the start screen, along with an option to show more tiles.

2014-04-01_21-04-43.jpg

Cortana will respond to keyboard and voice requests, and will actively look for things to tell you.

Cortana Notebook will tell you everything Cortana knows about you.

2014-04-01_21-10-46.jpg

Inner Circle will identify relationships between contacts, and features can be enabled per contact. For example quiet hours can be bypassed by close family.

2014-04-01_21-11-39.jpg

Cortana will be US only at launch as a beta. It will learn the nuances of native speech as people interact with it. Third party apps can integrate with Cortana.

New version of Skype will roll out on Windows Phone 8.1, not much about that except that it has phone integration, so you can transfer someone from a voice call on your carrier to a video call. Third party apps will have this kind of access.

Windows Phone 8.1 will get Enterprise VPN support and company linking, so you have a profile at work so you can't open certain apps. There is support for encrypted messaging via S/MIME. Files can be designated as secure so they can't be stored locally on the phone. Quitting a company link will remove all company data from the phone.

The Windows Phone 8.1 store has been designed with recommendations and categories from Windows 8.

2014-04-01_21-36-00.jpg

The calendar has been updated with new views and weather reports.

2014-04-01_21-37-19.jpg

WiFi sense will be released on Windows Phone 8.1. It will include automatic connection to public WiFi hotspots, and can automatically login to portals and give set information if asked for any.

It will share private WiFi hotspots with contacts, but your friends will be in a sandboxed environment, with only Internet access.

2014-04-01_21-38-41.jpg

Word Flow keyboard, just like Swype.

2014-04-01_21-43-28.jpg

IE11 for WP8.1 will have InPrivate browsing, Reading Mode, WebGL, in-line media sources, and many other updates from Windows 8.

2014-04-01_22-39-36.jpg

Windows Phone 8.1 will have new dual SIM features, with different phone and SMS tiles for each SIM.

2014-04-01_23-20-22.jpg

You can also set the default SIM for a contact.

2014-04-01_23-21-24.jpg

Bing will communicate with Cortana, and will display stuff you're interested in on the headline times on the Bing homepage.

2014-04-01_21-49-23.jpg

On the IE11 desktop, you have Enterprise Mode which changes ActiveX controls, enables legacy features, and changes the user agent string. A list of Enterprise sites can be set by an admin.

Windows 8.1 with Update has a taskbar with store apps on it. The taskbar can be viewed while using store apps. Store apps will have a title bar with minimize and close. The start screen has a power button and search button. The action bar has been replaced for mouse users with a right click context menu.

The Store will be updated with a new user interface in a later update, just like the update to Mail was delayed.

2014-04-01_21-55-14.jpg

Windows 8.1 with Update will be available April 8th through Windows Update for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 devices.

Universal apps have been released. Store apps can run on the same code for Windows Phone, Windows and Xbox One. You can set a grid based design which will conform to screens size, or you can tailor the design to each device.

You can seamlessly update Silverlight Phone 8.0 apps to Silverlight Phone 8.1 apps or to the unified app system.

Windows Phone 8.1 apps can share to other apps, just like in Windows 8.

Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 will be released, with new profiling options for CPU, Memory, and Energy usage, and XAML/UI responsiveness tests. These tests can be run at the same time instead one by one.

Apps and in-app purchases are unified across devices, unless the developer explicitly chooses not to.

The submission process to the store is 50x faster.

Metro office has been revealed for a touch first experience. It uses DirectX rendering for a smooth experience. Seamless syncing across devices, so you can show a slideshow on a desktop using a project, but control the presentation on your phone.

ryGl31R.png

sytw5dq.png

J7cjvKX.png

eFuTYnm.png

You can convert a desktop app to a WinRT sideloaded app because these new WinRT apps can reference a new broker in another process which runs in Win32. This is to be used for old Enterprise apps.

Windows 8.1 with Update along with Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 will be available through MSDN (with a subscription only). https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/

Kinect v2 for Windows has been released.

DirectX 12 will be available on Windows, Windows Phone, and on Xbox One.

2014-04-01_22-55-02.jpg

Windows Internet of Things (IoT) was announced. You can view the page here, as the official one is blocked. http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=windowsondevices&d=27022747828817517&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=KEwbQmoq5QBC14mXJLd1o-fqMGv7zWUg

This means Windows can run on pianos, watches, and erasers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/internet-of-things.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3tK2ro09U

There was a sneak peak at Threshold. Windowed store apps, and a mini start screen.

eVD2aLx.png

Windows will be free for Internet of Things devices and devices with a screen of less than 9 inches. So phones and small tablets have free Windows.

Everyone attending Build 2014 gets a free Xbox One and a $500 Microsoft Store gift card.

The Lumia line will get Windows Phone 8.1 this summer. New colors have being introduced, like green.

The Lumia 930 was announced, almost same specs as the Icon. The Icon will be a US device, while the 930 will be an international device. It has a 5 inch 1080p display. It has a Snapdragon 800 processor, with integrated wireless support, and 20MP PureView camera with a Zeiss lens. The microphone records surround sound, and can do directional sound recording. It will begin to be released in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and India in June.

The Lumia 630 and 635 were announced too. They will have 4.5 inch displays.

The 630 will be $159 for one SIM, and $169 for dual SIM. The Lumia 635 will be $189, and will support LTE. The 630 and 635 have Snapdragon 400 processors. They will include the software buttons, no physical buttons. You can change the shell of the phone, snap it off and use another color. They will be launched in May, in Asia, India, the Middle East, and Europe.

Nokia is updating MixRadio and Creative Studio for Windows Phone 8.1, with a new living pictures features, which will loop movement in a chosen area of the picture.

The new phones will have a SensorCore that can track movement. Nokia is releasing an Imaging and SensorCore SDK.

Satya Nadella talked about why developers should develop on Windows and hinted that the keynote tomorrow will be about the cloud.

Developers get right to it! http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/

• Like 2

Based on the questions and answers they did after the stage part was done, Windows Phone 8.1 will be available in a couple of weeks. "Mid April" was the exact phrase used so I'm guessing not the 10th like that was rumored. :(

And just so people know, the MSDN download of Windows 8.1 with Update English 64x has been leaked.

Source

Based on the questions and answers they did after the stage part was done, Windows Phone 8.1 will be available in a couple of weeks. "Mid April" was the exact phrase used so I'm guessing not the 10th like that was rumored. :(

And this is for developers?

Also Grinch, I love your community work at Spout :)

I never thought I would see you here.

mastercoms, on 02 Apr 2014 - 14:28, said:

And just so people know, the MSDN download of Windows 8.1 with Update English 64x has been leaked.

Source

And this is for developers?

Yes, through the Developer Preview application on your Windows Phone device.

I don't think it's been said but looking at the metro Office, the ribbon looks to be more feature packed compared to the iPad version they showed off a few days ago.  I also have a feeling that we won't need a Office 365 subscription to get these apps on Windows fully like you do on the iPad but only time will tell on that one.

I also think the new menu we'll get in a second 8.1 update, probably in the fall, could be tweaked a bit more by then, I think they'll need to have the charms in the menu as well.

10 more minutes until we get a look at Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 and more. (ASP.NET and web development). That will run for an hour.

Then we'll get a presentation on DirectX 12 on Windows. That'll run for 30 minutes.

An hour and a half after that, they'll talk about TypeScript, a derivative of JavaScript for large scale applications. That'll run for an hour.

30 minutes after that, we'll get a look inside cloud gaming using Orleans on Halo 4.

What MS are doing with the next Windows 8.1 update is giving the user the choice between the new Windows 8 UX and an enhanced desktop UX. I fail to see the problem - in the end everybody wins.

What MS are doing with the next Windows 8.1 update is giving the user the choice between the new Windows 8 UX and an enhanced desktop UX. I fail to see the problem - in the end everybody wins.

I actually expect Windows 9 will take things even farther.  Time to update the taskbar once again, I'm betting on it.