Valve delibrately leaked HL2

Agree/Disagree?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Agree/Disagree?

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • It's Possible/Unsure

I reakon that Valve were running way behind schedule so they hired some PR to come up with the idea of leaking source/betas, and blame it on hackers. why? to create so much hype about it even before the damn thing is finished while providing the perfect excuse for being behind schedule.

leaks do not stop development, unless the devs are the same ones doing the investigations, which I highly doubt. It's not like the devs are going to go "oh well, our work has being leaked, lets sit on our asses even though the game is unfinsihed for a few months and do nothing"

I don't think many people at Valve know about it, but they certainly did it.

i dont see any reason why valve would show their source code to the world... they could have come up with any number of other excuses to delay their game... they don't need to show others how to compete with them, or hackers how to hack their game...

BS. i don't see why they would do it, even if they were far behind schedule. they could just change the release date, people will still buy it. besides, leaking the source is almost like committing suicide :wacko:

BS, plenty of games have been WAY behind before...it wouldn't have been enough of a reason to do something as stupid as leak the source. it would have been different if there had been a report saying the source has been leaked and then the source was no where to be found, but there is no way they would have deliberatly leaked the source code on purpose, that is just stupid.

Uh, it would create more hype if they released a very GOOD demo of say, one simple level, instead of a pretty bad version of the game.

I think you're wrong on this one. Plenty of ways to create hype other than releasing something that doesn't even work very well.

Remember the crazy hype of Dean Kamen's "IT", that is now known as the Segway Personal Transporter? He never gave any demos or even had anyone or anything know of anything he had done before then or even on the Segway. However, with some nice press releases and a couple well placed "teasers", the hype took on wings, it even had CNN with a daily countdown to "IT"s unveiling a couple weeks before the Segway was shown. So hyped, in fact, that the disappointment was so great that there are websites on conspiracies that say, in no uncertain terms, that Kamen's real invention was taken by the US Government because it would cause huge disruptions in the world economy and maybe even a world war.

What does this have to do with HL2? Nothing. Just to show that releasing a bad version of the game isn't something any smart PR person would do.

So I guess the main arugement to focus on would be,

Is it worth it to leak the code just to delay the game?

I'm assuming it wouldn't, but maybe they have some other latent intention.

Does Valve have copyrights to the source code? If so, then I think they would distribute on purpose, that way if someone did utilize their source code, they could just sue. Also, by releasing their source code, it's kinda of like showing your hand in poker, you have a royal flush. Other comapnies may just fold.

What does this have to do with HL2? Nothing. Just to show that releasing a bad version of the game isn't something any smart PR person would do.

well if a PR person did do it, it obviously worked, because assuming that they release the leaked beta as final.... HL2 is a POS.... and look how much hype there is!

are we absolutely sure that it was the hl2 source? and not just some mix of earlier game engines & junk?

i saw a video of a guy who had compiled it, and it didnt show anything that the hl1 engine couldnt do.

Why would Valve:

a) Leak something showing that they were nowhere near to finishing as they had indicated

b) Leak the code to Havok, another company's main product, thereby hurting their business

c) Leak source code? If you're gonna leak something, it's gonna be an unfinished demo

It doesn't make ANY sense for them to leak this, so it's complete stupid to think otherwise...

twiglet, it was DEFINITELY hl2 source code.

Why would Valve:

a) Leak something showing that they were nowhere near to finishing as they had indicated

b) Leak the code to Havok, another company's main product, thereby hurting their business

c) Leak source code? If you're gonna leak something, it's gonna be an unfinished demo

It doesn't make ANY sense for them to leak this, so it's complete stupid to think otherwise...

Damn you beat me to it, that's pretty much exactly what I was about to say.

Yeah Valve leaked the build of HL2 just to keep the interest in the game up and generate a lot of free press on it.

They knew they wouldn't finish the game in time and wated to "create" a reason for it being delayed. :yes:

Isnt it kinda funny that this annon, that NO ONE has ever heard of prior and after the source code was stolen, hacked into the most antisipated game of the year, and possibly ever, and stole only a fragment of the source. Particulary it was the most usless fragment. Then he got a nice neat little package with a bunch of maps. Why would they even have that beta/alpha at all in the first place yet? Look @ the PR valve got from it, it was huge. I think its there way of releasing a demo of it.

what valve has to gain:

an excuse for more development time

what valve lost:

valuable source code that cost them umpteen dollars to develop but other competitors now have for free.

actual more development time required to change the leaked code (so that the their product behaves nothing like the leaked code in case anybody else uses it. plus to get around hackers who have that source code available for hackage)

embarrassment - they looked really dumb and incompetent losing the source code like that.

Hehe. Reminds me of liar liar when Jim Carey is talking about how his plan to root himself out of his family is succeeding brilliantly.

what valve has to gain:

an excuse for more development time

what valve lost:

valuable source code that cost them umpteen dollars to develop but other competitors now have for free.

actual more development time required to change the leaked code (so that the their product behaves nothing like the leaked code in case anybody else uses it. plus to get around hackers who have that source code available for hackage)

embarrassment - they looked really dumb and incompetent losing the source code like that.

Hehe. Reminds me of liar liar when Jim Carey is talking about how his plan to root himself out of his family is succeeding brilliantly.

Yeah, I totally agree. There is really no advantage to what HAPPENED to Valve. They didn't DO this, it happened to them. Right now they're going back through the code and making a bunch of changes, including changes to the online source which had a bunch of holes in it for hackers to use, even if they didn't have the source, which they found out after this happened (one of the benefits to us for this happening).

I'd also like to point out that under US law, anything YOU do is automatically copyrighted to you (as long as it is in fact originally yours), or the company that owns everything you do at the time, no matter what. It is harder to prove without being filed officially, but this would be very, very easy to prove it is their code. Considering it has been proven it was leaked from their servers, no one that got this code will ever be able to use it, period, no matter what, without their permission. Anyone who thought they could get away with it would have a big problem, considering that the Devs can probably see their work in action, or know it is very similar, and then look into it. I mean, you couldn't be some hack company and then all of the sudden have complex real-time lighting engines, Havok physics and all of the material-specific things inside the Source code like with sound and destruction and such without being contacted by Valve for a possible lawsuit.

complete BS. why give away source code? it opened up their whole game to hackers and a load of cheats being made for a game before it even came out. it would be pure suicide to sell their game knowing very well it would be filled with cheaters and unhappy customers. and what else did they lose? precious time and money when they could be selling HL2 already. It makes no sense to me!

I dunno if it was intentional or not

but here's my theory if it was

They didnt leak anything paticularly useful.. not like you could compile it and it would run at all..

They had a contract with ATI where they had promised to deliver approximately the time the new DX9 video cards came out.. 9800XT.. so they could give a voucher as a marketting ploy..

Make sense..everyone is gonna need these fast cards for new games so if they can get them out at the same time and market them together they will sell more..

Valve couldnt come up with the game in time..

If anyone of you that are claiming that the Beta that was leaked was a pos, did you actually download and play with it.

It had alot of problems, incomplete levels, not everything was reflective in surface water. the level with the walkers didn't have any people, items, or the walkers working. and many other quirks.

I still stand by the belief that this was pre-E3 demo, like a peice that they had been working on prior to E3 or something. and that they could very well of been close to their sept30 release or at the latest sometime during november.