Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

Why is there a blue border around everything now on the main page? I can see it when I'm browsing with my Lumia 920

Look a lot like winbeta or techspot..

Other Tech Site Comparison :

Winbeta.org

315g3yf.jpg

WPCentral

21dg2a8.jpg

TechSpot

t5qf6s.jpg

TechCrunch

308a6vo.jpg

TechnoBuffalo

nozrds.jpg

Engadget

2vtshvl.jpg

I stopped browsing Engadget when they did their site redesign precisely because it turned into a worse freak show than it already was.

• Like 1

It's new and refreshing, however:

• fonts are huge
  • layout needs to be optimized

What I do like:

• the Neowin bar at the top with easy access to the main areas (consider adding more stuff once the font size is tweaked)
  • kinda digging the vibrant colors in some places
  • Like 1

fonts are too big

its too much white

the bg is too light like the whole page is blinding

too much wasted space, seems like much more scrolling is needed now

I think someone just activated some accessibility settings here  :laugh: It's WAY, WAY too big, what was wrong with the old theme?! If something ain't broken, why try to fix it?!  :/

• Like 3

To look at, very much yes.

To use, very much no.  Items now seem to take almost double the screen-space as before.  It feels very much like it is a "modern mobile design", which may or may not reflect the usage stats.  But it doesn't represent MY usage, so for me, no :(

• Like 3

I had to scroll horizontally on my Android phone this morning; didn't have to with the old design.

Thanks to the person who created the Android Neowin feed app.

I didn't like it at first but I'm starting to come around.  It is very spacious, clean and nice to look at.  I like it more than the Ars Technica redesign, lol.  I did notice one major change.  Pinning the Neowin home page on my Windows Phone used to create a live tile with updating news feeds.  That feature seems to be gone.  I hope it comes back.

I do actually like it (especially the Darkside theme! Wish that was available on the forums too!), but a couple of things have changed for the worse it seems.

1. The short intro paragraph to an article on the front page now seems to be less text.

2. When viewing an article the number of words per line seems to be less... not ideal as it makes your eyes do a lot more back and forth.

3. I hate the header logo bar that just floats at the top of the pages. I wish there was a way to turn it off from just popping up all the time... very distracting and often hides the content I'm scrolling up to view. If that sticks around I'm going to have to activate Adblock just to get rid of it :(

Those would be the changes I'd personally make :)

• Like 2

Tbh i feel 50-50 about this.

Items are too big on 14" laptop, I can only imagine the experience of someone on a 30" desktop.

No notifications. That feature was really handy for knowing if someone replied to comments. :(

Blinding white.

It looks too much like most other tech websites and even some tumblr blogs.

I'm pretty sure my Win7 lappy will have a lag spazz if I try to view it there.

• Like 1

I think someone just activated some accessibility settings here  :laugh: It's WAY, WAY too big, what was wrong with the old theme?! If something ain't broken, why try to fix it?!  :/

The old theme was broken. Fonts were too small to touch on a tablet, and it required a separate mobile version. This new responsive design streamlines things.

Yes, I like it, despite my personal preference of news items being listed one beneath the other instead of the pinterest style squares/rectangles (ironically, on smaller screens it defaults to the list view). It's fine, and it'll take some time getting used to, but in a couple of weeks I probably won't remember the old design.

This is ithe part of what Syanide said that I would've typed out exactly as is, and because of this, I voted no:

"Yes, I like it, despite my personal preference of news items being listed one beneath the other instead of the pinterest style squares/rectangles"

I hope we get the option to revert to like it was previously?

This is ithe part of what Syanide said that I would've typed out exactly as is, and because of this, I voted no:

"Yes, I like it, despite my personal preference of news items being listed one beneath the other instead of the pinterest style squares/rectangles"

If you looked, there is an option to change the layout view

post-445881-0-74238900-1408927794.png

The old theme was broken. Fonts were too small to touch on a tablet, and it required a separate mobile version. This new responsive design streamlines things.

Well, not for me :). I visit Neowin from my PC only, so it was fine. And by the way, the new theme doesn't show notifications... I can see them if I click on the notifications icon, but before I was getting a little number on it that showed how many notifications I have. Right now, there's nothing like that.

Well, not for me :). I visit Neowin from my PC only, so it was fine. And by the way, the new theme doesn't show notifications... I can see them if I click on the notifications icon, but before I was getting a little number on it that showed how many notifications I have. Right now, there's nothing like that.

Welcome to 2104 and responsive design. The webpage will now act as an app that will respond to different screen sizes, and input types. :)

post-420821-0-82797100-1408928646.png

ahaha, just halfway done to dumbification, now just imagine when neowin forum are to be formated with similar stuff, full with social buttons. 'show more' buttons.

a7U0DNp.png

above just a mock-up concept to how the dumbification could go to, just replace the vogons with neowins for more effect.

• Like 2