Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

The mobile layout shows on my Lumia 1520 even though I have IE set to Desktop. Now I have to scroll down past all the articles to see the Latest Forum Activity section. Total pile of junk.

• Like 1

The mobile front page is choppy when I select the drop down menu, but it does look cleaner. That would be my only complaint. Also, there needs to be a new content shortcut.

I only just saw the button to have the articles in a list instead of in a grid.  Now I don't feel like it's such a massive change, and quite like it.

I don't like that there is just so much white space all over the shop though, but meh, I'll get used to it.  It still has my news, and links to forum articles.  I really don't use it for much else.

Do notifications still show on the news site for the forum?

Good job to all of those who have no doubt worked really hard to bring us this change.  Keep it up.

The mobile front page is choppy when I select the drop down menu, but it does look cleaner. That would be my only complaint. Also, there needs to be a new content shortcut.

This.  It's not smooth like it probably should be, but it's not too much of a big deal.  (GS5)

Not a fan of the new front page at all. Waaay too much white space, huge fonts, giant graphics. I'm on a standard 1920x1080 PC screen and it's painfully obvious that the front page has been designed for tablets, not PCs. 

Guys, please don't adopt the Microsoft kneejerk philosophy of hastily tabletizing everything in a half-hearted manner. There are still plenty of people who use PCs and want a PC interface.

• Like 4

I feel that the sizing is just to large.  On your normal 1080p monitor its hard to get half as much information without scrolling as before.  Its very pretty, but its a lot less efficient to get information from it.

Not a fan of the new front page at all. Waaay too much white space, huge fonts, giant graphics. I'm on a standard 1920x1080 PC screen and it's painfully obvious that the front page has been designed for tablets, not PCs. 

Guys, please don't adopt the Microsoft kneejerk philosophy of hastily tabletizing everything in a half-hearted manner. There are still plenty of people who use PCs and want a PC interface.

I feel that the sizing is just to large.  On your normal 1080p monitor its hard to get half as much information without scrolling as before.  Its very pretty, but its a lot less efficient to get information from it.

These pretty much sum up why I don't like it, I signed in and posted just to say this (which I rarely do if ever..) :D .

• Like 2

So Neowin just proved that whoever designs the site knows nothing about good design, or UI. They pulled a Windows 8! Does Neobond approve of this?

• Like 3

They pulled a Windows 8! Does Neobond approve of this?

Unfortunately, yes.

i also dislike about the clear-type fonts, as those font make the wrong assumption about my monitor's sub-pixel arrangement,

and thus giving horrible view instead.

• Like 3

Timan, is there a lot of new coding (such as the new auto hide top menu) or is it mostly css?

Personally, it would be nice to have previous styles of the site available...

IMHO, why the BLOG format was enormously successful is because articles are in serial order so it's easy to skip over the uninteresting ones and difficult to not skip the important ones. Blog style > Pinterest style. Okay so there IS a list view available, but it should be the DEFAULT when all the cookies are erased and you've seen signed out. Tile view should be the non-default.

And that still doesn't fix the problem of everything being too large now and too widely spaced so more scrolling is required to read anything. Happened to Twitter's web app. Now happened to Neowin as well. :(

• Like 2

A few more suggestions:

I don't see the need for both the hero articles and the trending articles along the side.  

My solution is to just keep the hero articles - we can already see the trending articles as they are clearly shown with a little Hot! tag. 

On big screens, move the hero articles' tiles to the right hand side of the screen above the advertisment and the community feed (the tiles will have to be slightly smaller). Then keep the entire left column as one giant blog feed with information density slightly more like that on dpreview.com 

I do. Said that I am experiencing a weird issue: on my Tablets, desktop and Laptops the clicking on an article the page is shown as it is supposed to be but using my Lumia 920 the background of the article text is blue; the background of the comments instead, is white as expected. Furthermore when using the phone I do not see, along the article headline, the count of the comments.

My phone browser attachicon.gifwp_ss_20140824_0001.pngattachicon.gifwp_ss_20140824_0001.pngis IE, OS is WP 8.1 with Cyan and Update 1, the browser is set to use desktop view.  

Posted in my edit

I enabled Adblock to block neowin, which blocks the cloud ad and the menu works as well as fixes the footer problem that I posted before

1st image is with the ad

2nd with it blocked

So either the ad or the ad box is the problem

Yep, that darn app is causing serious issues for people. I need the source of it still, if anyone is savy enough to get it.

The ad was reported, I now have the console code so that I can report the actual ad (Thanks Timan).

I have looked with interest at the feedback and aside from seeing that all of the staff and 99% of the subscribers loved it we were always going to expect people to "hate it".

Some of the complaints:

• Huge promos (the ones we had were to restrictive and small, you'll see that the grid has many styles and we can even put one massive promo image there)
  • Tiled view instead of summary view (this is a design decision that lets us have two items on the same row, you can go back to summary view by clicking on the options top right of the news view)
  • Huge fonts (I dunno maybe you guys that are complaining about that all have 20/20 vision, I'm 41, wear glasses and it is now comfortable to read on my Lumia 925, whereas before it wasn't, we also got a lot of complaints before the upgrade stating that the font was too small, if you mean just the headlines themselves, that was a design decision, yes they could be smaller, but we like them like that).
  • Change is baaaaad (get used to it, our previous design was four years old)
  • It's like every other tech site (unfortunately this design was mocked up a year ago, ask any subscriber for proof, it just took way too long to implement it)

post-25747-0-53757400-1408948338.png

Here is my feedback:

1 - This navigational bar is way too large. Needs to be shrinked. The easiest way would be to make the Neowin logo smaller. We know we are on Neowin.

2 - Ive always hated these pictures in the previous design and now I hate them more. They make no sense at all. Are they up there based on hit count? Comments? Randomly? Staff pick?

3 - Ive picked the default view for my feedback. In the default view, all I see is 2 headers. I don't see any information about the article at all at a glance. In the previous design I could at least see SOMETHING. I think that is better than nothing. In the list view it is a bit better but still....

4 - This is completely broken so I imagine it is a bug. No who posted the last post, when they posted, how many replies it has, etc....

5 - Pointless as well. Under the more section, you have a chat on IRC section. Social media should be included there.

Also in general everything feels way too big/in your face. Most people on this site are not blind. The font size needs to be reduced a lot.

My suggestion: Why not make sections movable? You click on a section (ads could not be moved) and move it somewhere else making important content to YOU a priority. Ive seen sites that allow you to dynamically do this and I think it would be a huge improvement.

There is a list view for those that can't handle change 

thanks

I already voted No because I liked list view. :(

anyways it's still bit too bright for my eyes.

attachicon.giffeed.png

Here is my feedback:

1 - This navigational bar is way too large. Needs to be shrinked. The easiest way would be to make the Neowin logo smaller. We know we are on Neowin.

2 - Ive always hated these pictures in the previous design and now I hate them more. They make no sense at all. Are they up there based on hit count? Comments? Randomly? Staff pick?

3 - Ive picked the default view for my feedback. In the default view, all I see is 2 headers. I don't see any information about the article at all at a glance. In the previous design I could at least see SOMETHING. I think that is better than nothing. In the list view it is a bit better but still....

4 - This is completely broken so I imagine it is a bug. No who posted the last post, when they posted, how many replies it has, etc....

5 - Pointless as well. Under the more section, you have a chat on IRC section. Social media should be included there.

Also in general everything feels way too big/in your face. Most people on this site are not blind. The font size needs to be reduced a lot.

My suggestion: Why not make sections movable? You click on a section (ads could not be moved) and move it somewhere else making important content to YOU a priority. Ive seen sites that allow you to dynamically do this and I think it would be a huge improvement.

+1 for making the navigation bar thinner and an option to disable showing highlighted articles talked about in his second point. List view is definitely better than tile view.

I also forgot to mention that since 2001 all of our style updates have used the current output of the news, requiring very little changes, but this update has changed several ways on how we post and render news, making it a more extensive update.

thanks

Then use darkside, which is a theme option in your user drop down menu from the nav.

Don't like the desktop version, mobile is ok

Can't edit post from mobile. I like old top down better than those tiles.

Will look into getting edit on mobile in the future.

thanks

If switching to Darkside and listview solves your issues you can always delete your vote and change it.