Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

Everything is too big... I prefered the smaller ones of the old design, where i was able to scan all news really fast. The big one needs lots of scrolling and reading to see if there is anything woth opening...

It's nice and clean... the only tweak it needs is me getting used to it, which won't take long since I visit this site every hour or so.

Overall I like it, a bold change definitely.

Think the only improvements id like to see are the size of the popular or latest news dialled back a bit, maybe even more aligned to the old one.

Bit more scale for high rest display would be nice too as I now get less news per page (npp) and we all just want more out of life don't we? more freedom, more fun, more npp.

Not bad, overall I like it but seems a little "big". Maybe it's the font size? looks good but feel like it's showing alot less info than it used too?

For those who are griping and want an option to revert back to the old design. It is Technically Speaking - Not Possible. Even if they wanted to, a bunch of extra coding (not just CSS) had to go in to Neowin's backend.

For those who are griping and want an option to revert back to the old design. It is Technically Speaking - Not Possible. Even if they wanted to, a bunch of extra coding (not just CSS) had to go in to Neowin's backend.

Summary view is there as an option.. so technically the old news layout is possible.

Not a fan of the large grid view but then I supposed that's more for tablets.  Takes far too much scrolling!

The compact view is fine though.

Unfortunately, yes.

i also dislike about the clear-type fonts, as those font make the wrong assumption about my monitor's sub-pixel arrangement,

and thus giving horrible view instead.

The fonts have no say over that, if the sub-pixel alignment is wrong it's the browser (or OS settings) at fault.

It's fine, "modern" looking, but needs some improvements :

- the header is far too big, even on a 1200p screen

- the lack of separator/differentiator between frontpage stories makes the layout less readable, I'm not saying straight lines between them, but at least some alternated background colors

I think its great, it looks great, responds great, and has a clean, modern look. (not metro look) and most of all, very customisable. Cant wait until the forums have the same overhaul :)

It's nice and works really well on my mobile devices.

Currently receiving 403 Forbidden

string(20) "Too many connections"

And some random SQL errors on the forums.

All teething problems I guess.

Regarding the size of the fonts, would something similar to Instapaper's approach be hard to implement?

jjvZNdm.jpg

No, quite easy to implement.

@Neobond why don't you guys start with listing all updates/tweaks/changes each month, similar to what tweakers.net does (Neobond, you do live in NL, I think you know the site?) so feedback can be given? :)

I think its great, it looks great, responds great, and has a clean, modern look. (not metro look) and most of all, very customisable. Cant wait until the forums have the same overhaul :)

Darkside on the forums will be nice. :)

I do post updates in Site Announcements, but this is kind of a major update and if I need to post a help manual along with it then we're doing it wrong. I am disappointed that some people have complained about options that we already have in the update, complaining without bothering to look.... eg: complaining it's too bright (we added darkside) complaining that summary view is gone, (it isn't) and so forth.

Being from a tech community im surprised that those complaining haven't spent 10 minutes just randomly clicking on things to see what they do. Isn't that what we all do when we get new software?

Darkside on the forums will be nice. :)

Very true, along with the updated modern look :)

Like Steven said above: Before complaining, test the new site first. Give the devs a few days to iron out bugs and react to feedback/constructive criticism. 

Too many of you are complaining for the sake of it without giving the new design a chance (imho).

I do post updates in Site Announcements, but this is kind of a major update and if I need to post a help manual along with it then we're doing it wrong. I am disappointed that some people have complained about options that we already have in the update, complaining without bothering to look.... eg: complaining it's too bright (we added darkside) complaining that summary view is gone, (it isn't) and so forth.

Completely agree! That's the first thing I did :) Darkside and summary view for me. I actually do like it but agree with the font's being too big. If people have bad eyes then they can enlarge the text using the browser functionality.

Neobond - one option that I can't find though is to make the header-bar (with the Neowin logo) fixed rather than floating on top of the news articles. Is there something I'm missing?

Cheers.