Formula 1 Silly Season 2015

Well....

Max Emilian Verstappen is a Belgian-Dutch racing driver, who competes with a Dutch licence....

IMO the license should have nothing to do with it, so I agree with the flag choice.

The return this year of the collapsed Marussia Formula One team has been blocked by its rivals, according to the sport

That is utterly disgusting.

I hope they still make the effort and with a gap year come in and destroy half the field, it won't happen but I hope it does.

• 2 weeks later...
F1 helmet design changes in-season to be banned

Formula 1 drivers will be banned from changing helmet designs in-season under new rules set to be introduced this year, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

As part of a push to improve the promotional appeal of the sport, F1 chiefs have grown concerned that fans are turned off by drivers constantly changing their helmet colours.

Unlike the days of Ayrton Senna when a drivers' iconic helmet design was part of his appeal, these days some drivers change their colours at every race.

One of the most extreme examples is four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel, who has used around 60 different helmet designs over the course of his career.

Just like a rule introduced last year that has forced drivers to keep the same car number for their career in a bid to make it better for marketing, F1 will now force drivers to not change helmet designs as much.

High-level sources have revealed that teams, the FIA and Bernie Ecclestone have agreed to limit drivers to just one helmet design for the season.

This was approved at a meeting of the F1 commission in Geneva this week, and is set to be ratified by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council for introduction this season.

The hope is that fans will be able to identify with drivers more easily both at the track and on television.

Source: Autosport

Manor F1 team agrees to use 2014 Ferrari engines

The Manor Formula 1 has agreed a deal to use old Ferrari engines this year, as work continues on trying to get back on to the grid.

Following the announcement that the former Marussia outfit is coming out of administration, the team's chiefs are continuing to put together the elements that they need for a return.

A key hurdle to overcome was agreeing an engine deal, with Ferrari one of the main creditors left when Marussia collapsed last year.

However, speaking at the Barcelona F1 test, Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene revealed that verbal agreement had been reached for the Maranello outfit to supply year-old engines in 2015.

"We said to them yesterday that we are going to supply them with the 2014 engine," he said. "There is nothing in writing at the moment."

Although a vote by the F1 Strategy Group recently closed off the possibility of Manor using an updated 2014 car, AUTOSPORT understands that the team is pushing on with a modified version to comply with this year's rules that could even be ready for the start of the season.

It is believed the team wants to race as early as it can with its interim model, before switching to a fully bespoke 2015 car during the early part of the campaign.

If Manor is able to return by the Bahrain Grand Prix, then it will qualify for around

• Like 1

What good is it if Manor enter races only to fail to qualify under the 107% rule though?

I guess it depends on the definition of what they have to do to get the prize money and what allowances the stewards make. Lets not forget that HRT failed to make the 107% a few times and still took part in the race.

The thing here is, Manor aren't going to be competitive unless their given the chance to earn some money. Teams should stop standing in their way and allow them to just go racing. Without competition the sport will not continue, if there are no teams to compete, then there is no competition. 

The same teams that are blocking Manor, are the same teams moaning that they aren't getting their fair share, yet they are finding excuses to block a team to get access to its fair share!

• Like 1

I was about to say that's a strangely low amount of laps for Merc until I noticed Lewis... any news on why Rosberg only did what I can only assume was half a day? Still suffering from Neck issues?

An impressive amount of laps from everyone today, even Mclaren showing they are staring to overcome a lot of their gremlins. I know compared to some it looks low, but when you think back to where they were last test, or back to Renault last year, they aren't really doing too badly.

Formula 1 bosses are attempting to bring more consistency to the sport by decreeing that all drivers must stick with one style of facial hair throughout the season.

I think so and he's going to be kicking himself. I have a feeling Ferrari's pace is real. The guy cant catch a break. What a disaster that would be for him if the current form hold true.

It just dawned of me that his situation reminds me of Dan Marino. One of the best NFL QB's in history but only went to the Super Bowl once and lost to Joe Montana and the 49ers.

Did anyone really expect McLaren to be any good this year? Unproven drivetrain from a manufacturer more worried about reliability than outright speed, from a team that has made questionable engineering decisions for years. Doesn't look good at all.

I don't get the love for Marussia/Virgin/Manor/whatever. They are totally uncompetitive at the best of times - yes they got points in Monaco, but then Maldonado has a race win to his name - and really are a disgrace. Someone has to come last, but they shouldn't be a mobile chicane for the entire grid, and then delay a race restart after each safety car while they try to catch up. 

Barcelona F1 test: Fernando Alonso taken to hospital after crash

Fernando Alonso has been airlifted to hospital for further checks after crashing his McLaren-Honda during Barcelona Formula 1 testing.

The two-time F1 world champion went off on the exit of Turn 3 late in the Sunday morning session, and hit the wall on the inside of the circuit.

He was reported to be conscious and talking, but was taken to the medical centre by ambulance and then transferred to hospital by helicopter for further evaluation.

The accident came on Alonso's 21st lap of the day and while he was fifth in the standings.

McLaren had missed the opening hours of the test as Honda configured its engine following the overnight arrival of the re-engineered MGU-K seal intended to resolve its problems from earlier this week.

Alonso was only scheduled to drive for the morning before handing over to team-mate Jenson Button, as McLaren tried to equalise its drivers' mileage to get maximum feedback following another disrupted week of running.

Source: Autosport

^^ Thankfully, he only suffered a concussion and he's recovering well.

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso is making a "solid recovery" just a day after his crash in Formula 1 testing.

His McLaren team also revealed he had undergone a "thorough and complete analysis" and the results were "completely normal".

They added the accident was down to unpredictable "gusty winds" and there was "no evidence" his car suffered "mechanical failure of any kind".

The Spaniard, 33, is being kept in hospital for further observation.

No decision has yet been made on his participation in the third and final round of pre-season testing, which begins later this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31585149

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet