SpaceX Falcon Heavy (updates & maiden flight)

Yessir. That'll sort all the questions concerning the tires. :yes: I just hope SpaceX remembered to sort it. Sometimes it's the most mundane, basic, stupid crap that'll trip up the smart ones ... :rofl:

Bear in mind that a FH booster nose cone is large enough to be converted into a 2-story fishing cottage.

The payload fairing could hold a double-decker bus with room to spare. 

FH's maximum payload weight is more than a fully loaded 737 airliner; passengers, crew, fuel and cargo.

Thrust: equal to eighteen 747 airliners at full throttle.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

All true, but it's been drilled into us since the beginning to err on the side of caution. Cooled, chilled and brittle rubber composites that have been subjected to rupture forces can act like projectiles and have many of the same properties as such -- including penetration/shredding capability.

Not saying that it's likely, just that it's possible. Don't want that stuff doing damage, and we have to take worst-possible-case scenario into account. I'm sure it'll be fine, though. (Y) 

I would imagine that Tesla is probably little more than a shell, surely with all the components that could shake around and loosened during launch, everything that can be removed probably has been.

• Like 2

Not as much as you'd think since the chassis is semi-monocoque. 

Most likely the big battery pack is gone in favor of space-rated batteries, and the electric motor is gone, and the systems cooling system has been removed to eliminate volatiles.

• Like 1

Odds are good that they'll scrub today, out of an abundance of caution -- all things being equal with FH this cycle. :no: One delay after another, after another.

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

GO for propellant loading

Where do you go for this information since the stream isn't live yet?  Just curious if there is a technical stream somewhere.  I probably won't understand half of it, but it'd sound cool.  lol

• Like 1

Twitter, and https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/. There's a big meet-up with a lot of the Forum members down at the launch today, and some of them are working at the Cape (some NASA/US-Gov, others SpaceX). Many of them are on Social Media and are providing status updates as they're able. And, of course, it's all over the various Space News outlets who are already live on their respective channels on Youtube and such. :yes: