SpaceX Falcon Heavy (updates & maiden flight)

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

Nothing official, but it sounds like it's lost. 

Any idea why they are being so quiet about it?

1 minute ago, Raphaël G. said:

Any idea why they are being so quiet about it?

They usually are until they get a bit more information.

That was pretty spectacular. The two side boosters landing at near the same time, incredible. I wondered how landing on a platform floating in the ocean with waves was gonna workout. Still, very impressive.

Just now, CrashGordon said:

That was pretty spectacular. The two side boosters landing at near the same time, incredible. I wondered how landing on a platform floating in the ocean with waves was gonna workout. Still, very impressive.

SpaceX have done it a bunch of times, so it's certainly possible.

1 minute ago, CrashGordon said:

It may not have gone so well this time, have to wait to see.

I doubt it had anything to do with the waves though.  It looked pretty calm out there.  I wonder if it came down too hot, but the video made it look like it might have exploded at it got close to the ship.  Hard to tell though.

25 minutes ago, bguy_1986 said:

I doubt it had anything to do with the waves though.  It looked pretty calm out there.  I wonder if it came down too hot, but the video made it look like it might have exploded at it got close to the ship.  Hard to tell though.

I've only seen the SpaceX feed and the cam went down before it showed anything. If that was the only thing that went wrong, it's still a great achievement.

Now back to watching some Starman footage :)

AHHHH MAHHHH GAWWWDDD!!! 

(STONE COLD!! STONE COLD!! :D :rofl:)

Actually, Brownsville could start doing some of the BFS "hopper" testing if it's ready by next year, he said. Either that or ship-to-ship.

9 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

AHHHH MAHHHH GAWWWDDD!!! 

(STONE COLD!! STONE COLD!! :D :rofl:)

Actually, Brownsville could start doing some of the BFS "hopper" testing if it's ready by next year, he said. Either that or ship-to-ship.

And I t can go to space WITHOUT the booster?!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, anthdci said:

And I t can go to space WITHOUT the booster?!!

Yep. 25~35t of payload, too. :yes: On Mars it can do it with practically a full manifest, on Earth it can do it with 25~35.

My parents were saying that its weird seeing this much excitement again over space flight. The sort of energy around these SpaceX launches especially today is very reminiscent to those of the early NASA launches. Very incredible achievement today!

Edited by wv@gt
  • Like 2

Heck of a day. I got back out on the ITL Causeway. Was awesome.

Pretty rowdy crowd on the causeway, plenty of profanities. Some even shouted me. =D