Dopamine

On 5/17/2016 at 9:29 PM, Raphaël G. said:

I'm afraid the deadline is already exceeded :rofl: Would have been great though, if I had a lot of time on my hands :) 

So what's next for Dopamine?

This build is rather good, quality wise. I'd like to release version 1.0 final as soon as I have confirmation that there are no critical issues left. After the release of 1.0, my focus will shift to the UWP version. Development on the desktop version will continue however. While the current focus is now 100% desktop, 0% UWP, I'd like to shift that to 20% desktop, 80% UWP for a short period of time. And once the UWP version is published, it should become 50% for both.

The 20% for the desktop version will allow fixing bugs and adding small features.

The UWP version will start simple and as a phone application only. Because I want to publish quickly, I won't spend time building an adaptive UI yet. The desktop version can fill that gap for now. Adaptive UI will be added later. The app will be polished and dynamic, just like the dekstop version. They will look very similar.

wooo! Can't wait to see the UWP app! Very excited

On ‎7‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, ZipZapRap said:

wooo! Can't wait to see the UWP app! Very excited

I'm excited about it too. It's fun to make. I haven't written a line of code for Dopamine for the last 2 weeks however :( Daytime job is very demanding right now. I'm working almost day and night. Tomorrow I want to spend some time fixing small Dopamine desktop bugs and work on Dopamine mobile. Let's see how that goes :) 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lisztomania said:

I have noticed Dopamine using a lot of RAM on Windows 10. Around 200 megabytes. Is this expected? Or normal?

How big is your library, I'd imagine that's probably the biggest factor in memory usage.

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

How big is your library, I'd imagine that's probably the biggest factor in memory usage.

It's about 140 gigabytes, but it has already been scanned and indexed. Unless it scans constantly the memory shouldn't be that high I think. 

2 minutes ago, lisztomania said:

It's about 140 gigabytes, but it has already been scanned and indexed. Unless it scans constantly the memory shouldn't be that high I think. 

It doesn't to my knowledge but we'd probably need Raph to confirm.

I've got a 24GB library and I'm using about 65MB, so those numbers wouldn't add up if it is Library size dependant.

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:13 PM, lisztomania said:

It's not scanning constantly, and the high memory usage is typical for a .NET application and normal. Here is an explanation I found online:

When a .NET application starts, it asks the OS for a chunk of memory which it then segments to become the managed heap, stack, and large object heap. It is this total chunk of memory that TaskManager is reporting, which may or may not be completely used by .NET. Once a .NET application is given a chunk of memory, it will not release it until asked by the OS, which will only happen with the OS determines a need for more memory resources.

Simply put: the 200 MB are reserved for Dopamine, but that doesn't mean it is using the full 200 MB at any given time. That's how .NET works, and trying to do something about it is asking for breakage, or causes performance hits.

28 minutes ago, Raphaël G. said:

It's not scanning constantly, and the high memory usage is typical for a .NET application and normal. Here is an explanation I found online:

When a .NET application starts, it asks the OS for a chunk of memory which it then segments to become the managed heap, stack, and large object heap. It is this total chunk of memory that TaskManager is reporting, which may or may not be completely used by .NET. Once a .NET application is given a chunk of memory, it will not release it until asked by the OS, which will only happen with the OS determines a need for more memory resources.

Simply put: the 200 MB are reserved for Dopamine, but that doesn't mean it is using the full 200 MB at any given time. That's how .NET works, and trying to do something about it is asking for breakage, or causes performance hits.

oh so its like reserved parking but cars aren't necessarily using the spaces?

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

oh so its like reserved parking but cars aren't necessarily using the spaces?

Something like that :) 

9 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Ah, that explains it. There are times when it hit 300 and I was worried. Question, I am using Windows 10 insider preview. Any chance that Dopamine might not be meshing well with this OS build or it really doesn't matter?

11 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Something like that :) 

issue. Not a dopamine issue though. I have a CD I bought by a group Madison Rising  American Hero (Red) the Album and cover art

I use Windows Media Player to rip the CD and the WMP properly knows the tracks but no cover art. how can I create an album cover to work with Dopamine? what file format, size etc? I can modify the art myself.

I put a gif file of it at "C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Roaming\Dopamine\Cache\CoverArt"

thanks.

Chrisj1968

10 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

issue. Not a dopamine issue though. I have a CD I bought by a group Madison Rising  American Hero (Red) the Album and cover art

I use Windows Media Player to rip the CD and the WMP properly knows the tracks but no cover art. how can I create an album cover to work with Dopamine? what file format, size etc? I can modify the art myself.

I put a gif file of it at "C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Roaming\Dopamine\Cache\CoverArt"

thanks.

Chrisj1968

Give this a go... http://www.howtogeek.com/57237/how-to-get-complete-album-art-for-your-music-library/

As for ripping CDs, give this a shot, and see if you get better results. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

EAC is the weapon of choice for pirates, so you can be sure it's very good at what it does. :) 

Any one have more than one monitor and when dopamine starts, the splash screen shows up on another screen but the app shows up on the correct one (the screen where it was closed from)?  Doesn't always happen and trying to get the steps taken to reproduce.  Not that big an issue though, just have seen it a few times.

7 minutes ago, jackslade said:

Any one have more than one monitor and when dopamine starts, the splash screen shows up on another screen but the app shows up on the correct one (the screen where it was closed from)?  Doesn't always happen and trying to get the steps taken to reproduce.  Not that big an issue though, just have seen it a few times.

Try messing about with which monitor is set as the main display, or changing to single display, and switching between the two. Launch and close Dopamine each time, hopefully it will right itself.

Hi Raphael :)

I love your software!

I am using SnapX for my work everyday.

Downloading Dopamine right now.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, FiB3R said:

Give this a go... http://www.howtogeek.com/57237/how-to-get-complete-album-art-for-your-music-library/

As for ripping CDs, give this a shot, and see if you get better results. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

EAC is the weapon of choice for pirates, so you can be sure it's very good at what it does. :) 

thank you FiB3R. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: I saved it to the albums cache folder/ Album art and then right clicked the album in dopamine and changed it and pointed to the album cover. right on FiB3R! way to go bud

Edited by chrisj1968

Is there possibly any chance of getting a rip function built in to Dopamine? That would be schweet!

15 minutes ago, Stocks™ said:

Is there possibly any chance of getting a rip function built in to Dopamine? That would be schweet!

I think he said he won't add that feature. but not to worry. WMP does a fine job itself.

11 hours ago, jackslade said:

Mine does this, but I think I know why.

So I have a 3 monitor setup, I have dopamine set to use Nano player and sits in the corner of screen 1 however when i first start it up, the splash screen opens on screen 2.

I realised though that if I max the application it does in fact maximise to screen 2 - if move it to screen 1 and close and re-open the splash screen opens on screen 1.

Hopefully that makes sense and it helps understand how it behaves for you.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:14 PM, elmetnuter said:

Hi Raphael :)

I love your software!

I am using SnapX for my work everyday.

Downloading Dopamine right now.

Thank you!

I'm glad you find it useful! :) I have some new ideas for it. It'll get some updates in the near future.

Enjoy Dopamine :) Version 1.0 final is just around the corner. I'm currently testing the release build.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, jackslade said:

The splash screen has totally no intelligence :) It just displayed on the screen where the mouse is (I think, I'll have to do more testing). The main window remembers its last position.

I created a bug report for this. Low priority though, for when I'm bored :) 

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:31 PM, Stocks™ said:

Not anytime soon I'm afraid. There are other great tools specially made for that purpose. I won't try to compete with them.

On 6/17/2016 at 9:45 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Not anytime soon I'm afraid. There are other great tools specially made for that purpose. I won't try to compete with them.

Ahh bummer!

Thats cool, I actually have a seperate program already, I'm just lazy and wanted to do it through one application :p

@Raphaël G.

Can you share updated list of pending requests or issues? So we can have overview. It will also help people to not repeat the same requests again and again. I hope, it's OK with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zlip792 said:

@Raphaël G.

Can you share updated list of pending requests or issues? So we can have overview. It will also help people to not repeat the same requests again and again. I hope, it's OK with you.

It would be better if he post it on his website for everyone to see... 

Instead of we are flipping the forum pages to find the requests/issues.