Dopamine

On 3/21/2016 at 2:16 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Got it! Thanks! :) 

Question. What was that URL to your Dopamine releases? I should have by now saved it to my favorites but haven't :( .

Hello Raphaël

I've been following the development of Dopamine for quite a while. Kudos to you for giving us such a gem of an audio player. I've just tested the portable version of the latest preview (1.0.0.627) on my Win 7 Home Premium laptop. I've noticed that if I minimize the app rather than putting it in background then I do not get a live preview when I hover the mouse pointer on the taskbar icon (no spectrum analyzer animation). I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the OS or is this a feature that has to be integrated in Dopamine for it to work. I would also love if the app window (especially the mini player) could dock to the screen edges. These were my two cents. 

Keep up the great work! :)

Yeah this Dopamine is the only music player I use. the dark scheme is great for my eyes and the layout makes life so much simpler.

Raphael. is there a way, you can add my SmartAudio by Conexant at: Smart Audio have your app somehow, hopefully its reasonable to the lower section

nvwrxh.png

some how add if the coding doesn't require too much, if not, forget the idea. but it will allow for me to adjust my bass, surround sound and volume leveling and more. But could it be simple as running a shell call?

The default installation path is " C:\Program Files (x86)\DTS, Inc\DTS Studio Sound" here are the files in the folder: (note the red circled extension as its where I go to directly manipulate the bass, treble, 3D sound, volume leveling and more.

4udjwo.png

*** If it's impossible then don't worry about it but if it is, it would put my audio adjustments right there quickly. perhaps in a way as we do our select our music folder... I select the folder and it does the rest.

just a though that hopefully won't put you out on too much coding

have a good one Raphael! I could send the files or the whole tree as an email to you to mess with it or I can test it. either way, count me in

** Idea, probably better to place it to the right of cloud in the menu list above... But I'm willing to create a desktop video of how it takes a while to get at the sound features. the APO3GUI takes my directly to the adjustments for the treble and bass and the features I mentioned above

-Chrisj1968

Edited by chrisj1968

Not pressing or even necessarily a proper request, but while I like the blue program icon, I was thinking that to blend in with Windows 10 better it might be better to have a white teardrop with a transparent headphone cutout in the middle.  This would look slick on the taskbar and blend in better on a tile when pinned to start.

4 hours ago, Darrian said:

Not pressing or even necessarily a proper request, but while I like the blue program icon, I was thinking that to blend in with Windows 10 better it might be better to have a white teardrop with a transparent headphone cutout in the middle.  This would look slick on the taskbar and blend in better on a tile when pinned to start.

You can manually change the icon to white variant. Here's how to do that :

1. Right click on dopamine's tile in your start menu -> More -> Open file location

2. Right click on Dopamine shortcut file -> Properties -> Change Icon -> Browse

3. Find and choose the white icon file in C:/Program Files (x86)/Dopamine/Icons

4. Click OK and Apply

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:29 PM, Ravensky said:

Same here, the album display process is very slow now as it didn't use to be and it makes the music stutter when browsing the albums list =(

I picked your post to reply, but it is as valid for the other posts concerning this stutter issue.

Album cover loading has been slowed down on purpose in an attempt to avoid stutter. I'll most likely make it faster in the next preview, as it doesn't solve anything. The stutter is a known issue. I haven't found the source of the issue and I'm working with the developer of the audio library to try to find this out. Some builds ago I resolved it by moving the audio playing to a separate process called Axon. That worked great. There was only 1 issue: Windows Smartscreen. For the portable version, Smartscreen shows a popup for each exe which is started. That means the user has to click "Launch anyway" for Dopamine.exe and then another time for Axon.exe. So, for now, I moved everything back to 1 exe.

I thought it was related to the UI freezing. But it is not consistent. Long UI freezes don't make the audio stop. It seems more related to displaying of images.

Conclusion: I know about it and I'll fix it. However it is a difficult one to solve, so it won't be fixed tomorrow.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, Drilon said:

Hello Raphaël

I've been following the development of Dopamine for quite a while. Kudos to you for giving us such a gem of an audio player. I've just tested the portable version of the latest preview (1.0.0.627) on my Win 7 Home Premium laptop. I've noticed that if I minimize the app rather than putting it in background then I do not get a live preview when I hover the mouse pointer on the taskbar icon (no spectrum analyzer animation). I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the OS or is this a feature that has to be integrated in Dopamine for it to work. I would also love if the app window (especially the mini player) could dock to the screen edges. These were my two cents. 

Keep up the great work! :)

I'll create a task to check the live preview out. I think it is normal that the preview is static when minimized. The preview as it is now is added by Windows, not by me. At a later stage, I'd like to show album art as a preview instead of the full window.

I've created a feature request for docking.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 0:58 AM, chrisj1968 said:

Yeah this Dopamine is the only music player I use. the dark scheme is great for my eyes and the layout makes life so much simpler.

Raphael. is there a way, you can add my SmartAudio by Conexant at: Smart Audio have your app somehow, hopefully its reasonable to the lower section

nvwrxh.png

some how add if the coding doesn't require too much, if not, forget the idea. but it will allow for me to adjust my bass, surround sound and volume leveling and more. But could it be simple as running a shell call?

The default installation path is " C:\Program Files (x86)\DTS, Inc\DTS Studio Sound" here are the files in the folder: (note the red circled extension as its where I go to directly manipulate the bass, treble, 3D sound, volume leveling and more.

4udjwo.png

*** If it's impossible then don't worry about it but if it is, it would put my audio adjustments right there quickly. perhaps in a way as we do our select our music folder... I select the folder and it does the rest.

just a though that hopefully won't put you out on too much coding

have a good one Raphael! I could send the files or the whole tree as an email to you to mess with it or I can test it. either way, count me in

** Idea, probably better to place it to the right of cloud in the menu list above... But I'm willing to create a desktop video of how it takes a while to get at the sound features. the APO3GUI takes my directly to the adjustments for the treble and bass and the features I mentioned above

-Chrisj1968

Hi Chris. It is an interesting idea. However probably not for Dopamine standard. I is a specific product and would probably fit more as some sort of custom plugin to Dopamine. I don't have a plugin or extension system in place yet. But it is on my wishlist for much later. So I'm kindly saying no for now. But once there is a plugin system, this might be possible.

8 hours ago, Darrian said:

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize the icon was already included.

Ideally I could provide this as an option in the installer. But I haven't figured this out yet.

Dopamine 1.0.0 Build 630 was just released. This is the changelog:

26-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.630 (Preview)

- Updated the French translation (Thanks Anthony)
- Updated the Spanish translation (Thanks Jackaluichi)
- The panes on the Artists, Albums, Genres and Playlists pages are now resizable
- Fixed a crash when deleting songs from a playlist
- Fixed several bugs which occured when adding songs to playlists

Info + download

Edit: more tweaks to resizable panes are planned. But that's for a bit later.

12 hours ago, Raphaël G. said:

Hi Chris. It is an interesting idea. However probably not for Dopamine standard. I is a specific product and would probably fit more as some sort of custom plugin to Dopamine. I don't have a plugin or extension system in place yet. But it is on my wishlist for much later. So I'm kindly saying no for now. But once there is a plugin system, this might be possible.

Ideally I could provide this as an option in the installer. But I haven't figured this out yet.

absolutely ok. sorry for putting too much on your plate.

Awesome work on the resizeable columns, you've even made it better than my beloved Zune now by keeping the track times fixed to the right. It's just perfect. Thanks! :)

Awesome work on the resizeable columns, you've even made it better than my beloved Zune now by keeping the track times fixed to the right. It's just perfect. Thanks! :)

Did you get chance to check out the date added field being the file creation date?

1 hour ago, dakn said:

Did you get chance to check out the date added field being the file creation date?

Thanks!

Yes, but for the next build. See changelog (work in progress):

27-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.631 (Preview)

• Switching between album layouts and sizes doesn't require a full reload of the albums
  • Order by date added is now based on the creation date of the file
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Ravensky said:

It's a Windows only program atm... =)

I'm talking about the ability to synchronise between the music library and Android/Windows 10 Mobile devices - that has nothing to do with it being a 'Windows only program'. Learn what MTP is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Nom Nom's said:

I'm talking about the ability to synchronise between the music library and Android/Windows 10 Mobile devices - that has nothing to do with it being a 'Windows only program'. Learn what MTP is.

umm I do know what it is, and MTP is not supported natively on Windows 10 only if you install a protocol porting kit, which is probably not going to happen, if for instance Dopamine installed a protocol porting kit on my PC I would be ######...

so maybe you need to learn what MTP is and which OS's use which protocol's natively or not...

Source: Microsoft MTP Porting protocol kit...

1 hour ago, Ravensky said:

umm I do know what it is, and MTP is not supported natively on Windows 10 only if you install a protocol porting kit, which is probably not going to happen, if for instance Dopamine installed a protocol porting kit on my PC I would be ######...

so maybe you need to learn what MTP is and which OS's use which protocol's natively or not...

Source: Microsoft MTP Porting protocol kit...

Or the alternative is to use libusb and libmtp. There is a .NET wrapper called mtpnet which IIRC Banshee used many years ago.

libusb -> libmtp -> mtpnet -> Dopamine

On 3/26/2016 at 2:18 PM, Raphaël G. said:

Dopamine 1.0.0 Build 630 was just released. This is the changelog:

26-03-2016: Dopamine 1.0.0.630 (Preview)

- Updated the French translation (Thanks Anthony)
- Updated the Spanish translation (Thanks Jackaluichi)
- The panes on the Artists, Albums, Genres and Playlists pages are now resizable
- Fixed a crash when deleting songs from a playlist
- Fixed several bugs which occured when adding songs to playlists

Info + download

Edit: more tweaks to resizable panes are planned. But that's for a bit later.

in the next build please decrease the loading time of album arts when selecting an artist, like what you said before. Currently, it's only ruin the overall UI responsiveness.

I've just had a little play around in photoshop to try come up with a (possibly) more elegant selection box. It does require a little more spacing around each album though.

What do you think?

dopamine_selection.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tejoenardo said:

in the next build please decrease the loading time of album arts when selecting an artist, like what you said before. Currently, it's only ruin the overall UI responsiveness.

Done. Other UI responsiveness tweaks are also coming.

• Like 1