Cop Under Investigation After Manhandling Pool Party Teen

Not a all. And thinking like this is part of the problem imo.

The uniform means he's there to enforce the law. He works for you and is paid by you. He is not the law he represents it. At all time a police officer should to be right. It's his job to be right. It's why YOU pay him. **** happens we are humans and it's understandable we all do mistakes. But a police officer can't willingly give you an order he knows is against the limits he needs to work within in a particular case. Those limits are not the same as you and me and will vary depending on the case and situation but there's still limits he needs to respect and not cross as much as possible. If you see a police officer beating someone for no reason up to the point the person beaten might die it's your job as a citizen to question his action and even stop him if he is out of his mind.

Thinking the authorities is over the law is the first step in the lost of freedom. It's how you build a dictatorship. The authorities are voted by the people and paid by the people to represent and protect them.

In this particular case i think the police officer crossed a line with the girl. Things looked relatively under control before he went on a rampage. One of the other police officer was calmly talking with the kids when things got chaotic. It's not enough to be fired imo but certainly enough to question his actions and motive and give him a serious warning and possibly even some extra training.

I disagree.  Every situation I've seen lately involving police brutality always started with someone not cooperating.  That is where the respect should have happened.  I'm not saying the actions of the police are correct but I think its extremely rare that a cop involves excessive force when the people cooperate.  If the actions are not correct at any point then it should be addressed.  I never would condone anyone getting hurt or their rights being violated.  I just see where the respect on the side of the citizen was never there from the beginning.  I think your example is pretty extreme but I'm not saying it has not happened.  But honestly anyone trying to stop a police officer during a violent situation is a very dangerous affair.  You will likely be seen as a threat and further more violence.  I'm not sure what the best way to deal with something like that.

I can see your point and part of me agrees with it, but I guess ultimately we just see this slightly different. I see this as disobedient kids cause Officer to lose control of a situation. 

I think we can both agree whatever, he handled it wrong and I'm sure appropriate action will be taken against him. I think I'd just be a little more lenient than you :)

When I was younger I worked jobs where I had to deal with extremely confrontational and aggressive customers, many of whom were drunk and/or on various other substances. Most of the time if you are calm and respectful you can diffuse a situation. The individuals here were positively tame in comparison to the people I was dealing with and the sorts of people this officer probably deals with on a daily basis. There was no threat to him and absolutely nothing to warrant drawing his weapon.

Both sides bear responsibility but on one side your talking about children and on the other a paid professional. I think it speaks to a systemic cultural issue whereby the first response to any threat is to draw your weapon, which is a hostile act that serves to inflame situations. Policing in the US seems to be all about power - who is stronger, who has a weapon, who can shout the loudest. Unarmed individuals not following your instructions? Draw a gun. They have a gun too? Bring in body armour and tanks. There seems to be very little respect or compassion - it's an 'us versus them' mentality. The video of the pregnant woman being wrestled to the ground because she was ringing somebody up to ask about her rights is a classic example of that. There was no threat to the officers yet because she had the audacity to challenge their power she was assaulted. It's all about power.

When I was younger I worked jobs where I had to deal with extremely confrontational and aggressive customers, many of whom were drunk and/or on various other substances. Most of the time if you are calm and respectful you can diffuse a situation. The individuals here were positively tame in comparison to the people I was dealing with and the sorts of people this officer probably deals with on a daily basis. There was no threat to him and absolutely nothing to warrant drawing his weapon.

Things are way different 5 - 10 years (or more) ago than they are now.  Especially with the growing tension towards cops the past few years.

He was over aggressive towards the girl, that is a given.  However, IMO, there was no problem with him drawing his weapon when the two kids approached his back.  Approach an officer from behind in a situation like this, be prepare the have them draw their weapon. 

Of course, I am not an expert and speaking on opinion. Like all/most of the people posting in this thread.

However, IMO, there was no problem with him drawing his weapon when the two kids approached his back.  Approach an officer from behind in a situation like this, be prepare the have them draw their weapon. 

That's NOT what happened. Both individuals were directly in front of the officer when he drew his weapon and he had a clear line of sight, meaning he could see they weren't armed and didn't pose an immediate danger. He also knew he had two officers nearby. The officer took a dislike to one of the teens and drew his weapon in a power play. He had a look of rage in his eyes. He then proceeded to manhandle the girl. His actions were completely inappropriate.

That's NOT what happened. Both individuals were directly in front of the officer when he drew his weapon and he had a clear line of sight, meaning he could see they weren't armed and didn't pose an immediate danger. He also knew he had two officers nearby. The officer took a dislike to one of the teens and drew his weapon in a power play. He had a look of rage in his eyes. He then proceeded to manhandle the girl. His actions were completely inappropriate.

3:08 in the video.  Not exactly from the back (had to look at the vid again) more so torwards the right side but was not in front.  And the kids came up on him fast and one had crouched down a little and had his hands towards his back pocket.  The kid is lucky he didnt get shot.  They were not directly in front of the officer and the officer was already reaching towards his weapon when he got up.  Just look like he had issue removing hte gun from the holster.  And the kids did not run until the gun was drawn.  They should have never been up on him.  They stood their ground until he drew his weapon.

~

3:08 in the video.  Not exactly from the back (had to look at the vid again) more so torwards the right side but was not in front.  And the kids came up on him fast and one had crouched down a little and had his hands towards his back pocket.  The kid is lucky he didnt get shot.  They were not directly in front of the officer and the officer was already reaching towards his weapon when he got up.  Just look like he had issue removing hte gun from the holster.  And the kids did not run until the gun was drawn.  They should have never been up on him.  They stood their ground until he drew his weapon.

And watch closely-- one of them even had his fist balled and was moving very aggressively.

3:08 in the video.  Not exactly from the back (had to look at the vid again) more so torwards the right side but was not in front.  And the kids came up on him fast and one had crouched down a little and had his hands towards his back pocket.

I've seen the video plenty of times, thanks. Both teens were in direct line of sight and he drew his weapon when they were both in front of him. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

The kid is lucky he didnt get shot.

Sadly that's true but that only speaks to the insanity of policing in the US.

It scares me that you can watch that video and think him drawing his weapon was in any way acceptable or justified. He was out of control and had a look of rage. He should not have his job.

And watch closely-- one of them even had his fist balled and was moving very aggressively.

Are you even watching the same video?! Their behaviour was in no way aggressive. They were taunting the officer, sure, but there was no threat.

• Like 2

~

I've seen the video plenty of times, thanks. Both teens were in direct line of sight and he drew his weapon when they were both in front of him. That is UNACCEPTABLE.

Ok, I have to laugh at that comment. He drew his weapon when they were in front of him? NO WAY! I always draw mine when someone is behind me, where I can't see them or use my weapon.

~

Are you even watching the same video?! Their behaviour was in no way aggressive. They were taunting the officer, sure, but there was no threat.

Ofc. It was absolutely aggressive. And even if they were only taunting, that's a problem right there. Sounds to me like you must have been one of the people there.

Sadly that's true but that only speaks to the insanity of policing in the US.

It scares me that you can watch that video and think him drawing his weapon was in any way acceptable or justified. He was out of control and had a look of rage. He should not have his job.

Kids approach officer from the side in a hostile manner with one kid reaching towards his back pocket.  Office gets up and takes a step or 2 towards the kids while his hand was on already on his weapon getting ready to take it out.  Kids held their ground even when the officer stepped towards them and then the office drew his weapon.  Then the kids run.

It was stupid of the kids to approach the officer like that especially considering how he was treating that girl. 

Taunting in of itself is an aggressive action.  Hunched down, arms open, and comments can be considered threatening. 

But like I said, this is my opinion and no one here is an expert unless they can prove otherwise.  Some people who do know what they are talking about are saying it was justified, some are saying it was not.  But either way, he will most likely lose his job over how her treated that girl.

I just watched that part three times and the kid with the blue shirt is putting his hand in the back\side of his pants and for a sec I even though it looked like he was going for something under his shirt.

Taunting in of itself is an aggressive action.

No. It CAN be aggressive but it isn't inherently so. In this case it was clearly mocking as they were clowning about, jumping up and down like kids.

I can see we're not going to agree on even basic points, so I'll leave it here.

Respect the uniform; not the man wearing it.

I was taught to respect police officers and when in a situation where I'm dealing with a police officer I know that they are in control. If I'm stopped by an officer for no reason I'm polite and answer any questions and do what I can to give the officer what he needs so I can be on my way.

Respect the uniform; not the man wearing it.

I was taught to respect police officers and when in a situation where I'm dealing with a police officer I know that they are in control. If I'm stopped by an officer for no reason I'm polite and answer any questions and do what I can to give the officer what he needs so I can be on my way.

It's hard to respect the uniform when it's being worn by someone violently throwing a girl around. It's hard to respect the uniform when day in and day out it's worn by police officers who are killing unarmed suspects without any criminal charges being filed.

My experience with police has been very positive, with them always being extremely police, courteous and restrained. I'm not sure how I'd react if I had to deal with officers like this, especially when they could shoot me dead and claim self-defence.

• Like 1

It's hard to respect the uniform when it's being worn by someone violently throwing a girl around. It's hard to respect the uniform when day in and day out it's worn by police officers who are killing unarmed suspects without any criminal charges being filed.

My experience with police has been very positive, with them always being extremely police, courteous and restrained. I'm not sure how I'd react if I had to deal with officers like this, especially when they could shoot me dead and claim self-defence.

You can't lump all police officers for the actions of a small group.  Won't get you very far.  To be honest; every time you interact with a cop there is a potential albeit minute that you could be shot dead.  To me; the fact that they have that control should mean...respect the uniform.

You can't lump all police officers for the actions of a small group.  Won't get you very far.  To be honest; every time you interact with a cop there is a potential albeit minute that you could be shot dead.  To me; the fact that they have that control should mean...respect the uniform.

That's called fear, not respect. Respect is earned.

• Like 2

we don't lump them all in one group.  even 1% is too much.  and that 1% deserves no respect, just because they got to wear the same uniform as respectable cops.

uniform should not deserve respect by default, since a lot (yes, even 1% would be a lot for such a police force, but it is likely more)

of them shame the uniform and what it means. To serve and protect. that is what I, and You are paying them for.

Not to be scared to be shot by accident and do what they say no matter what.

Again, we are going back and force. Some people must have grown up in fear of cops. I was lucky to live in western europe since i was 15 till i was 22 and in canada then.    yes canada has ###### cops too, but they are not as likely to pull a gun.

in west europe I was NEVER scared of cops.  i was feeling more safe next to them.   they were always friendly, even when i acted daft.  

no so much in usa and sometimes in canada.       and not give me the thing that usa is more dangerous then uk,  uk cops don't carry guns,

and in the place i lived someone was stubbed, or shot quite often, as i was right next to the poor area. 

i was scared of those teen/adult criminal, but being a teen myself (19) i was NEVER worried about cops. ever.  

in USA and somewhat in Canada, but to lesser extend, I was harassed by cops, for no reason as all. 

there were friendly cops too, and sometimes, like in this video - they stopped their team mates from acting crazy.

most of them were cool.   but a lot of them CREATED tension.  which is unacceptable.

they treated me as suspect immediately, instead of witness. giving me crap and being extremely aggressive, while unprovoked by me in any way whatsoever.

that is not cool.  that is bad training.

Simple fact:

If that group wasnt acting like a bunch of unruly animals - the cops wouldnt have behaved that way, period.

ohh,  so we are posting in BOLD now :shifty:

yes, we know that.  that is damn obvious.  the point is that the way that cop acted is unaceptable even given the circumstances.

we are not saying any other cops are at fault in this case, or that the kids are correct in acting like that.

the way you put it in BOLD ( i wish i had a sound effect for it... lol)  make it sound that you approve of that specific cops actions, and justify them to us.... i hope it is not true.

Going BOLD myself now, as it looks like fun...   :p

CONCLUSION:

1) Yes, kids are incorrect in behaving this way.   FACT

2) Yes, this one cop is out of hand and is under investigation for his behavior.     FACT

Everyone agree to agree? Sympathy for his situation be damn, he is paid to deal with this stuff and keep his temper and head on straight. 

If he had a metal trauma or issues, then he should not continue to be dispatched to situations like that.

I am sure there are opening in police department. and he should take a dispatch or filing work.

• Like 2

here's an article confirmed by the CIA contractor

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/06/09/414999/US-POLICE-BRUTALITY-BLACK-PEOPLE-AFRICAN-aMERICANS

The United States police departments do not employ relatively intelligent people so that they cannot act compassionately and logically when encountering criminals, says former CIA contractor Steven Kelley.

>

Steven D. Kelley is a nutjob. His "CIA contracting" amounted to his small California company making laser sights. He's been one of InfoWars favorite conspiracy theorists, and has written a book titled "Lasers, Cavers and Magic" (Cavers are a supposed secret society). He also rattles on about building pure silver "BeamShips" and UFO's. Ick.

A Michigan State University study released last January found that 45% of cops have 4 year degrees, half of those majored in Criminal Justice and the rest ranging from psychology to business. Other studies show up to 74% have attended college, and the differencr would include those with 2 year Associate Degrees.

Cop detains me for no reason, I treat them with respect as I have no reason not to and how I was raised to treat them.  Kind of hard to earn respect from a police officer when you don't see them often and have one encounter with.  It is not like a coworker you see everyday.  If I am detained for no reason, fine.  What is a little bit of my time worth.  In my experience, your actions dictate how the officer will react and i never had an issue.  Now, my brother who is in the military and thinks he is better than police...he has issues from time to time because he gives them a hard time.  No, I am not justifying what the cop did to the girl at all (like I stated before) and the girls friends/other people did not help the situation at all.

Most cops are fine and it is the bad ones that give the whole profession a bad name.  And this kind of thing is not new at all.  Its just becoming more visible since now everyone has a video recorder in their pocket.  Some are racial issues, some are not.  But people, even the victims, need to be smart and honest when accusing someone of racial issues.  Some cops are just stupid and should not wear a badge.  And cops in the past several months have been getting threatened a lot lately and ambushed/killed.  There are tensions everywhere and in the grand scheme of things, problems other than how police act with the population.  If I were a betting man, things are going to get worse before they get better.

You're right Jim -

I put that in bold, for the simple fact I wanted it to stand out. 

I think its worth mentioning, at the very least, that if those kids werent acting like that - that cop wouldn't have gone nuts.
Its another case of complete disrespect of the law.

Yes, the cop went nuts.
With that many kids shouting, acting aggresively, none of them doing what they are told, none of them acting civilized - I think it is understandable for someone to go on the attack in the attempt to put a handle on the situation as if to say, "Alright Dammit ! Enough is enough!"

However, slamming a 13 yr old girl was not the time -

One of the boys who were in his face yelling god knows what ?  They wouldnt have looked pretty funny wiggling and shaking from a taser -

• Like 1

Steven D. Kelley is a nutjob. His "CIA contracting" amounted to his small California company making laser sights. He's been one of InfoWars favorite conspiracy theorists, and has written a book titled "Lasers, Cavers and Magic" (Cavers are a supposed secret society). He also rattles on about building pure silver "BeamShips" and UFO's. Ick.

A Michigan State University study released last January found that 45% of cops have 4 year degrees, half of those majored in Criminal Justice and the rest ranging from psychology to business. Other studies show up to 74% have attended college, and the differencr would include those with 2 year Associate Degrees.

DocM - You are right in that was a fail in quoting Kelley.

However, there are several cases where people were not hired simply because they scored too high - even lawsuits stemming from the fact.  In fact, I think a state's Supreme Court ruled its OK for cops to use that hiring practice.

Simply having a 4 yr degree or 2 yr degree means not a whole lot.  I have one from a respected university ( \m/ Hook Em Horns \m/ )- and I dont think I ever went to class ! 

• Like 1

DocM - You are right in that was a fail in quoting Kelley.

However, there are several cases where people were not hired simply because they scored too high - even lawsuits stemming from the fact. In fact, I think a state's Supreme Court ruled its OK for cops to use that hiring practice.

>

The case was in New London, Connecticut.

A US federal court ruled that the New London policy of excluding intelligence test scores over 33, equivalent to an IQ higher than 125, was reasonable because surveys showed low police job satisfaction in that demographic. Those people tended to quit soon, meaning all the department money and time spent on training them was wasted.

New London PD usually hires scores between 20 and 27, with 20 being roughly an IQ of 100. The US average is 98.

The case was in New London, Connecticut.

A US federal court ruled that the New London policy of excluding intelligence test scores over 33, equivalent to an IQ higher than 125, was reasonable because surveys showed low police job satisfaction in that demographic. Those people tended to quit soon, meaning all the department money and time spent on training them was wasted.

New London PD usually hires scores between 20 and 27, with 20 being roughly an IQ of 100. The US average is 98.

I didnt know avg was 98

They are using the Wunderlich test apparently (score * 2 + 60 = IQ)

Lots of armchair lawyers around. Nobody was there so we shouldn't be too quick to bash either side. Yes, the cop did seem amped up but he was responding to a tresspassing and assault call. There were people all over the place trying to run away and he was trying to contain the situation. The girl in question was not following lawful commands from a police officer. When the officer was trying to control her, about 15 of them started to converge on him causing him to QUICKLY draw his gun. He didn't point it at anyone and he didn't fire it. He had his knee on her back because that is the instructed way to hold someone and he was out of handcuffs.

Everything I have read states that this was a private party at a pool. There is this thing I guess called "guerilla rave" where a DJ plans on crashing parties like this and even charges the people like $15 to go to it. These people were hopping fences, causing mayhem, and fighting. They brought it on themselves. Nothing the police did was out of line and he will be cleared.