Cop Under Investigation After Manhandling Pool Party Teen

Lots of armchair lawyers around. Nobody was there so we shouldn't be too quick to bash either side. Yes, the cop did seem amped up but he was responding to a tresspassing and assault call. There were people all over the place trying to run away and he was trying to contain the situation. The girl in question was not following lawful commands from a police officer. When the officer was trying to control her, about 15 of them started to converge on him causing him to QUICKLY draw his gun.

>

As he is trained to do in the tactical training Tueller Drill. Once you let them within 21 feet you're at a severe tactical disadvantage, especially if they have a knife. One of them appeared to be reaching for his back pocket.

Mythbusters covered the Tueller Drill in the episode "Duel Dilemmas". At distances <20 feet a knife attacker was consistantly able to stab the defender before being shot at.

I didnt know avg was 98

They are using the Wunderlich test apparently (score * 2 + 60 = IQ)

That'd be it.

My son-in-law, a bright guy, quit police work because he tired of being betten, spat at, stabbed and shot at on a regular basis. He decided driving HAZMAT, including high explosives, was preferable.

• Like 2

~

Cop detains me for no reason, I treat them with respect as I have no reason not to and how I was raised to treat them.  Kind of hard to earn respect from a police officer when you don't see them often and have one encounter with.  It is not like a coworker you see everyday.  If I am detained for no reason, fine.  What is a little bit of my time worth.  In my experience, your actions dictate how the officer will react and i never had an issue.  Now, my brother who is in the military and thinks he is better than police...he has issues from time to time because he gives them a hard time.  No, I am not justifying what the cop did to the girl at all (like I stated before) and the girls friends/other people did not help the situation at all.

Most cops are fine and it is the bad ones that give the whole profession a bad name.  And this kind of thing is not new at all.  Its just becoming more visible since now everyone has a video recorder in their pocket.  Some are racial issues, some are not.  But people, even the victims, need to be smart and honest when accusing someone of racial issues.  Some cops are just stupid and should not wear a badge.  And cops in the past several months have been getting threatened a lot lately and ambushed/killed.  There are tensions everywhere and in the grand scheme of things, problems other than how police act with the population.  If I were a betting man, things are going to get worse before they get better.

AMEN!! Wait, we agree on something? :D

Kids don't realize how dangerous a situation can get when you mouth-off to a police officer -- and you are black. I'm only slightly kidding on the last bit of my sentence there.

My wife and I teach our kids to be respectful of police officers but also be careful what they tell police officers. Police officer isn't there for you, police officer is there for themselves and they are law enforcement. You call the cops to come help you because you are in need, they'll look for crimes you potentially committed as a first step before they help you out. That is what they are trained to do, figure out how you are a criminal. They don't care about age. We tell our kids to answer basic questions about who they are and how old they are, but anything beyond that they should be asking for one of us to be present.

Your best bet is to just realize that they can overpower you, easily, and given that realization USE YOUR BRAIN. Being respectful should be a no-brainer. If they are going to be disrespectful to you, there is nothing you can immediately do about it except be a good mental note taker of the entire situation and maybe bite them back with a civil suit on the other side of the incident.

• Like 2

Kids don't realize how dangerous a situation can get when you mouth-off to a police officer -- and you are black. I'm only slightly kidding on the last bit of my sentence there.

My wife and I teach our kids to be respectful of police officers but also be careful what they tell police officers. Police officer isn't there for you, police officer is there for themselves and they are law enforcement. You call the cops to come help you because you are in need, they'll look for crimes you potentially committed as a first step before they help you out. That is what they are trained to do, figure out how you are a criminal. They don't care about age. We tell our kids to answer basic questions about who they are and how old they are, but anything beyond that they should be asking for one of us to be present.

Your best bet is to just realize that they can overpower you, easily, and given that realization USE YOUR BRAIN. Being respectful should be a no-brainer. If they are going to be disrespectful to you, there is nothing you can immediately do about it except be a good mental note taker of the entire situation and maybe bite them back with a civil suit on the other side of the incident.

It is a good strategy and I am terrible sorry you have to deal with it this way.

Should not be that way :) unfortunately a black person in sportswear is more suspect....

Too me too, I don't deny it, if there are a few of them looking menacing at you.

Though being black is not a prerequisite I assume you. Looking different then your neighborhood is enough unfortunately

You're right Jim -

I put that in bold, for the simple fact I wanted it to stand out. 

I think its worth mentioning, at the very least, that if those kids werent acting like that - that cop wouldn't have gone nuts.

Its another case of complete disrespect of the law.

Yes, the cop went nuts.

With that many kids shouting, acting aggresively, none of them doing what they are told, none of them acting civilized - I think it is understandable for someone to go on the attack in the attempt to put a handle on the situation as if to say, "Alright Dammit ! Enough is enough!"

However, slamming a 13 yr old girl was not the time -

One of the boys who were in his face yelling god knows what ?  They wouldnt have looked pretty funny wiggling and shaking from a taser -

I'm curious as to what you think about the kids who sat down in the grass immediately when told to do so. Or, the kids who were imploring the officer that they had done nothing wrong with, "sir"?

If he couldn't handle it alone he should have waited for backup or asked for assistance from the other officers. Instead he starts throwing about a teenage girl, which agitated the crowd - they wanted to protect her, which was completely understandable. That's what caused all the teens to gather around, at which point he panicked and drew his weapon. The situation wasn't out of control until he made it so.

Yes, but police can't control other people's actions - they can only control their own. If he had acted calmly and with restraint this situation would not have happened. It works both ways. But let's be serious here, we're talking about children. He's supposed to be the grown-up.

Very well said. This video was disgusting and that's a despicable way to treat a 14 year old girl. Being black at the pool is not illegal.

Also this is how it started:

Brandon Brooks, a white teenager who filmed first video of the police encounter, explained to Buzzfeed News that many of the black kids had special passes to swim in the community pool

According to 19-year-old community member Tatiana, who put together the event to celebrate the end of the school year, several white people at the pool hurled racial slurs at her friends, calling one a

Lots of armchair lawyers around. Nobody was there so we shouldn't be too quick to bash either side. Yes, the cop did seem amped up but he was responding to a tresspassing and assault call. There were people all over the place trying to run away and he was trying to contain the situation. The girl in question was not following lawful commands from a police officer. When the officer was trying to control her, about 15 of them started to converge on him causing him to QUICKLY draw his gun. He didn't point it at anyone and he didn't fire it. He had his knee on her back because that is the instructed way to hold someone and he was out of handcuffs.

Everything I have read states that this was a private party at a pool. There is this thing I guess called "guerilla rave" where a DJ plans on crashing parties like this and even charges the people like $15 to go to it. These people were hopping fences, causing mayhem, and fighting. They brought it on themselves. Nothing the police did was out of line and he will be cleared.

You may want to watch the video again and count the number of kids that approached the officer. A few points.

• We obviously do not have the full picture as to what happened.
  • There are conflicting reports as to who was supposed to be there and who wasn't.
  • There are reports that white adults at the party instigated the ensuing incident
  • It was reported that there were 12 officers on the scene
  • The officer (Casebolt) only went after the black kids
  • Only the black kids were detained and/or handcuffed. Correction: One white girl, Gracie Stone was handcuffed.
  • Another officer was calmly speaking with the kids (and they with him), giving them advice on what not to do when police show up. Casebolt then comes in yelling and cursing for those kids to sit down.
  • At one point, one of the kids filming (white kid) sat down in the grass with two of the black kids after the officer told them to sit down and stay there. He then got up and continued to film and was never again addressed by the officer(s) throughout the video.
  • Two of kids plead with Casebolt, calmly and politely addressing him with "sir" and saying they had just arrived, while complying with his demand to sit down.
  • The girl that was wrestled to the ground was initially leaving. She continued to leave, while saying something to the officer. He then goes after her, yanks her back, and throws her to the ground.
  • Two girls, out of instinct it appears, rush to help their friend. Casebolt shoves one of the girls away.
  • A "citizen" gets between the officer and the girls, pushing them away.
  • Casebolt continues to wrestle the girl as two boys approach him.
  • One of the boys pulls his pants up and takes off his hat. As he gets closer to Casebolt, he slips then pulls his pants up again. Note, that he is not going for anything or reaching in a pocket (Casebolt's firearm was not drawn at this time).
  • Casebolt sees the boys, and stands up. The boys take two or three steps away from Casebolt.
  • Casebolt places his hand on his weapon and the boys take another step back.
  • Casebolt moves forward, drawing his weapon and the boys race off.
  • Two other officers enter the frame. One grabs Casebolt. The other goes after the boys.
  • No other officers were responding in this manner.
  • The Captain said the behavior on the video "raises concerns".
  • Officer Casebolt has resigned from the McKinney Police Dept.

Much has been said about the young lady who was wrestled to the ground by Ofc.Casebolt and she certainly did not need to be treated in such an OTT aggressive manner.  However, she did not comply with the officer's orders and, in fact, aggravated the situation by her refusal to comply. If she had simply obeyed his commands and left, she more than likely wouldn't have been subjected to his far too excessive treatment.  Let me be clear, Officer Casebolt was in the wrong in how he let himself become overwhelmed by his temper and aggression and his resignation is for the best. And I am not saying or implying she is at fault.

Here are some screenshots of the young lady clearly showing that she was leaving but for some unknown reason (curiosity?) returns to the area, these pictures were taken from this video -

Vl5BTdZ.jpg

LE1UT6h.jpg

364OJZv.jpg

cNdIVS0.jpg

lTUaXRe.jpg

h3SaqXm.jpg

WcxI9wi.jpg

More info.  Shows video of the fight which was the reason why the cops were called to begin with.  Also witnesses saying how this is not about race and that a few thugs is what ruined everything.  Another witness saying security guards were attacked and that a mother and 3 little girls were attacked....kids drinking, smoking pot....

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/06/07/video-emerges-of-violence-at-innocent-pool-party-in-mckinney-texas/

Also a video explaining what happened by the McKinney PD

More info.  Shows video of the fight which was the reason why the cops were called to begin with.  Also witnesses saying how this is not about race and that a few thugs is what ruined everything.  Another witness saying security guards were attacked and that a mother and 3 little girls were attacked....kids drinking, smoking pot....

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/06/07/video-emerges-of-violence-at-innocent-pool-party-in-mckinney-texas/

Also a video explaining what happened by the McKinney PD

You know, I believe every word in that article. That said, this officer still needed to resign. A cops job is to respond to idiots like this. They are trained specifically to deal with thugs. They are not supposed to sink to their level. 

You know, I believe every word in that article. That said, this officer still needed to resign. A cops job is to respond to idiots like this. They are trained specifically to deal with thugs. They are not supposed to sink to their level. 

Just shows how media spins things and that one party may not be as innocent as they claim or appear to be.  Regardless if the comes out that the officer acted inappropriately, there is more to the story than what was being reported the past couple of days and I am sure more will come out soon.

Guessing there will be more video that comes out.  Find it hard to believe that there is no more video and non of when the police first showed up.  And the fact that the kids came back a few days later and vandalized and committed crimes...deplorable.

And of course, a lot of people could be lying.  Why there is an investigation.

Just shows how media spins things and that one party may not be as innocent as they claim or appear to be.  Guessing there will be more video that comes out.  Find it hard to believe that there is no more video and non of when the police first showed up.  And the fact that the kids came back a few days later and vandalized and committed crimes...deplorable.

Of course their is more video, I have no doubt these thugs with obvious lack of parenting hid the more incriminating video. These kids are not innocent. I just cant justify the officers actions because they where wrong too. I can however blame the officer more than the kids because he has a moral duty and higher standard set for him than some punks with bad parenting. Community policing needs to be used to try and help these thugs view the cops positively and help to improve their communities. The onus is therefor on the police department and the educational system to make the first steps in creating an environment that these kids can flourish in.

If the officer had never escalated the event, he would never of had to feel in danger. Like the chief said, 12 officers were dispatched, 11 did their job, 1 did not. Its telling that the other officers did not have the problem that this officer did. They even had to interfere when he stupidly pulled his weapon.

3 Officers were on the scene initially.  Later, 9 more responded.  Did not say when the 9 other ones responded and there is no video of what happened prior to the officer taking down the girl.  Not saying the officer was right, but premature to say how things escalated.

And he media questioning the McKinney PD didnt even ask about the officer pulling the gun.  It was how he treated the girl.  Media at its finest.  And apparently only one person filed a complaint with the PD.

3 Officers were on the scene initially.  Later, 9 more responded.  Did not say when the 9 other ones responded and there is no video of what happened prior to the officer taking down the girl.  Not saying the officer was right, but premature to say how things escalated.

Not surprised that you quote breitbart insinuating it was these children where responsible for the escalation, but that my opinion that it was the officer is "premature to say how things escalated". 

• Like 1

Not surprised that you quote breitbart insinuating it was these children where responsible for the escalation, but that my opinion that it was the officer is "premature to say how things escalated". 

I was quoting an opinion that was different from most that the officer pulled his gun because of the aggressive behavior of some teens.  Things escalated out of control before that and apparently there is no video of that...oddly enough...and they are still collecting statements/info..  Apparently the officer thought he was wrong so he resigned. 

There is no video of what happened prior apparently and no info has been given on who escalated what.   I was quoting an opinion that was different from most that the officer pulled his gun because of the aggressive behavior of some teens.  Things escalated out of control before that.  Apparently the officer thought he was wrong so he resigned. 

There is literally nothing short of murder or arson or something that obviously didn't happen to provoke such a heavy handed response from this officer. 

There is literally nothing short of murder or arson or something that obviously didn't happen to provoke such a heavy handed response from this officer. 

Witness reported security guards being attacked, mother and her kids being attacked. 70 kids vs 3 officers initially.  Does not say when the 9 other officers arrived.  Kids helped escalate the situation, according to witnesses, and the one officer took it to far with how he handled that teenager.

I still find it funny that so far only one person has complained to the PD about the incident involving the officer.

Anyway, that is really all I have to say right now and we can go back and forth on this all night.  Fact is, an investigation is still going, more info is being collected and probably released, but I dont think anything is going to excuse the officer with how he handled the teenager.  And rightfully so.

Have a good one

I'm curious as to what you think about the kids who sat down in the grass immediately when told to do so. Or, the kids who were imploring the officer that they had done nothing wrong with, "sir"?

Good kids, doing what they were told -

Any of them get thrown to the ground ?

Im glad you brought this up - because it helps what I have been saying throughout all of these "cops are bad - blacks get shot for no reason" type videos

Cop trying to get order in a crazy situation,

Grabs 2 kids, tells them to take a seat and not move

The do just that - even putting their hands behind their back

What does the evil cop do next ???

Shoot them ?

Pepper spray ?

Taze ?

Beat the crap out of them with a baton ?

No, no, no, and no

He leaves them be - and deals with the ones causing the problems...

SHOCKING !

OMG what does this mean ?  Does it mean that if you do what a cop tells you to do - you will get through unscathed ?  Amazing, I know

Does it provide evidence that if you're a smartass, saying you're gonna sue, calling the cop a racist, crap like that  - bad things will happen - sure does.

Once again, thanks for making my point.

Good kids, doing what they were told -

Any of them get thrown to the ground ?

I was thinking that too. I noticed 100% of the kids in the video who did what they were told the first time didn't end up with their face in the grass.