[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I don't see what's wrong with the Spartan UI so far, it's minimal, light, and space saving, everything users wanted. The key complaint with the last IE UI they introduced was that it didn't leave enough space for the tabs, they then let you place the tabs under the address bar like before.

Since then users have asked for just two things, tabs on top, which they're doing and extensions which rumors suggest they're also doing. To say MS isn't in touch with what users want is as far away from what's going on as you can get. Windows 10 is all about adding things users have been asking for, plain and simple. Now if you don't like the icons or where a button is placed then that's a small issue overall. I get a kick out of people complaining that something doesn't look good and then when news is posted on the front page that the browser could support themes a group call that a waste of time.

It's clear to me that some people want their cake and eat it to, that's not how it works.

I do hope IE legacy is pushed back, I mean it's not the default broswer or mode of new browser if not IE.

IMO put the new metro brower as default, since you now can run metro app's on desktop just like any other win32 app, hide the old win32 browser unless somehow it's called by a legacy app or something...

Please don't have like in 8/8.1 2 browsers at the same time by default, it confuses users A LOT!

Plus let's be realistic why just not drop Ie7 and before support and move on, it's not like there are still 90% of sites using it and the few that depend on it, suck it it's time to move on. Most sites that depend on Ie6 also work on firefox and Chrome, so there is no excuse but lazzy from developers on those sites to add IE10/11 and now 12 or whatever is called.

I wish Microsoft was more agressive on legacy crap.

I do hope IE legacy is pushed back, I mean it's not the default broswer or mode of new browser if not IE.

IMO put the new metro brower as default, since you now can run metro app's on desktop just like any other win32 app, hide the old win32 browser unless somehow it's called by a legacy app or something...

Please don't have like in 8/8.1 2 browsers at the same time by default, it confuses users A LOT!

Plus let's be realistic why just not drop Ie7 and before support and move on, it's not like there are still 90% of sites using it and the few that depend on it, suck it it's time to move on. Most sites that depend on Ie6 also work on firefox and Chrome, so there is no excuse but lazzy from developers on those sites to add IE10/11 and now 12 or whatever is called.

The problem with "legacy crap" is that it's like that "old pair of shoes" - they are used to it and comfortable having it around (even if it is full of more holes than grade AA Swiss).

I think there's just going to be one default from the way it sounds, Spartan. IE11 will be there but not upfront, probably hidden until needed or turned on through some setting for those that want.

Spartan sounds like it will be used for everything right down to the phone which is very good, making it a store app that they'll finally update faster and not when the OS is.

Microsoft will drop support for Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 next year on 16 January. IE9 will only be supported on Vista, IE10 only on Server 2012, and all the rest is required to update to IE11 (or whatever is new by then).

Microsoft will drop support for Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8 next year on 16 January. IE9 will only be supported on Vista, IE10 only on Server 2012, and all the rest is required to update to IE11 (or whatever is new by then).

Yes, but what I mean is the amount of files, folders, code, etc.. still present on W10 because of IE legacy crap, MOVE ON, you didn't? YOU HAD NOT 1 DAY, OR a WEEK, OR A MONTH, OR A YEAR, BUT 5 YEARS since IE8 to do so!

The upper one looks much too good to be authentic, sadly.

They should really use the "Spartan" icon in the lower pic as the actual icon.

I think by now the Whole world agrees that MS and design aesthetic don't go together. That UI is fugly beyond... and such poor taste. I mean is this the best they could come out with ? A chrome and firefox copy for the UI? Jesus how slow are these people to realise what consumers actually want. MS understanding consumer needs are like men who say "women are a mystery"; the typical attitude of staying stupid their whole life.

Quoted for truth.

LMAO, that proven fake screenshot looks like crap.

Quoted for truth.

"too good"..... :woot: :woot: :woot:

I generally want to eat cake that I buy U89RlYS.gif

Exactly! If I can't eat a cake I buy... 

tm9zQyZ4WcabK.gif

as for Spartans UI.. I'm on the fence still. still time to tighten their shot group.

Quoted for truth.

The upper one is one of the most horrible designs I have ever seen, are you living in the 1990s with a blue marker and some crayons? The lower Spartan logo is also ugly, that chose of colors and it does not fit Apple iOS, Modern UI, or Material design. it just looks like photoshop art.

That new image is said to be another concept/mockup from MS and not a working build. I don't think the "awesome" builds have set foot out of the OS group, they're probably locked down tight just like Spartan.Also, if something newer was going to leak I think it would've already. I had hoped to see something in the 991x line come out but it seems partners haven't gotten anything past 9901, it's always one of the partners that leaks builds.

I like the way the taskbar is headed though, I'm sure there will be a option to change the search box back to a button or remove it, gain more space to pin apps back.

?I'm looking forward to the Preview, I realy hope they include 'Spartan', through I do hope they won't call it Spartan, it's simply not a good name. They have "Edge" in the UAS, that could be a nice name. Anyway, I'm also looking forward to this new theme. I wonder how they are going to use the accent colors. :)

I like the way the taskbar is headed though, I'm sure there will be a option to change the search box back to a button or remove it, gain more space to pin apps back.

In 9901 there is already an option to show icon instead of the box.

At this time, I'd like to open it up so that anyone can ask me questions about 9901 and request screenshots of something.

They could add the accent color you pick to running apps on the taskbar or just add a bit of it to the taskbar itself so it's not solid black. Either way I wonder if talk of accent colors means they'll let us strip the different color tiles and have them all be one color like on WP?

That is yet another option users have asked for since the start. Plus folders on the start screen/menu.

They could add the accent color you pick to running apps on the taskbar or just add a bit of it to the taskbar itself so it's not solid black. Either way I wonder if talk of accent colors means they'll let us strip the different color tiles and have them all be one color like on WP?

That is yet another option users have asked for since the start. Plus folders on the start screen/menu.

Would the folders behave in the same way as they do in Windows Phone? If so, then that definitely would be very useful, as you don't always want everything to be "open" all the time, however a choice to toggle it would also be helpful. So that all folders would be opened the same way as they are in Windows 8/8.1.

The light-theme "concept" looks nice, hope all third-party app devs are quick to update their icons. And live tiles on the dekstop I see. Wonder if they'll keep the drop shadow like in the Technical Preview, it's a nice touch but totally not Modern UI.

Drop shadows are needed now that they've taken away the thick window borders, so expect that to be there going forward. As far as folders go, they should at least work the same as they do in WP 8.1.1, at best they'll update it a bit to work better when used in the new start menu which has limited space.

I'm more interested in updates to the tile system itself though. I'd like to see them add the interactive toggle switch from that one concept video that leaked out last year and got pulled. Basically with one press the live tile goes from an information giver to a full widget with some basic controls in place so you don't have to open the app at all.

This type of setup would work well with key apps like mail, calendar, music and even things like messaging apps. I see this as the next step in live tiles and I hope they pull it off.

• Like 2

Is there any talk of supporting proper add-ons with Spartan?

It'd be crazy if they went through the trouble of modernising IE completely and still now allowing for proper add-ons that aren't crappy toolbars or limited bookmarklets.