[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Windows 8 was/is a tablet based mess of an OS, eagerly waiting to see if Windows 10 allows desktop owners to feel at home again (Y)

Windows 8 was/is a tablet based mess of an OS, eagerly waiting to see if Windows 10 allows desktop owners to feel at home again (Y)

As a desktop owner, I felt very at home with 8.1 Even 8.0 didn't bother me that much, but 8.1 added some nice things, which Win10 will be building on.

As a desktop owner, I felt very at home with 8.1 Even 8.0 didn't bother me that much, but 8.1 added some nice things, which Win10 will be building on.

I do as well, but only after installing startisback :/

I feel more at home with 8.x than with any Windows OS since Windows 3.1.

• Like 1

Since 7 brought taskbar pinning I've used the menu less and less, the start screen change had little effect on me at that point.

• Like 2

Since 7 brought taskbar pinning I've used the menu less and less, the start screen change had little effect on me at that point.

Same here, George.  In fact, Taskbar pinning - which stayed put - largely obviated the Start menu altogether in my case. (Just yesterday, a family friend brought over their new Lenovo AIO to have their Office (365) subscription installed; instead of creating desktop shortcuts, I pinned their preferred Office applications to the Taskbar.  Because it supports touch, keyboard, AND mouse, you can select anything on either desktop OR Taskbar any which way - it's NOT one or the other.  Yes - I used a 7-style pinning in 8.1 - while the Start menu is gone, the Taskbar isn't.  In fact, if you application installer has a Create a QuickLaunch shortcut (and most application installers from the Windows 7 era do), it will pin to the Taskbar automatically.  Basically, there was NO change whatever for THIS Windows 7 user who upgraded, as I miss the Start menu not at all.

Dismissing ModernUI as touch-only is so incorrect it stopped being funny with the RTM of Windows 8 - why are folks continuing to think so?

I do as well, but only after installing startisback :/

I have to ask -- how many different applications do you use in a given day?  If you use more applications than are pinned to the desktop and/or Taskbar, I can see why you would need SOME sort of menuing system; however, if you don't, how many unused shortcuts do you have (on your StartIsBack, your desktop, or both)?  One major problem I have run into (starting in technical support) are users with a major case of "shortcut-itis"  shortcuts to every application, utility, etc., on their desktop, in their Start menu, etc. Unused shortcuts DO chew up resources - if there are programs that load when Windows starts that you don't use, they REALLY chew up resources (this is something Microsoft has warned against going back to Windows 3.x).  Every so often, review your shortcuts - all of them.  If you have unused (or seldom-used) shortcuts, they are ripe for pruning.  (Despite my using both Word AND Outlook several times a day, I have not a single shortcut for either on my desktop - or my Taskbar.  Instead, I launch via the Runbox - the olde-schoole Windows method; it works in every version of Windows since 3.x; the reason WHY it works is because Office is in the PATH by default.  It also applies to any of the Windows utilities and applets (WordPad, Notepad, etc.).  It's very KISS (Keep It Simple, Son) - and it applies to every OS in existence; yet how many users don't do it?)

There are also the old Fax & Scanning app, and a bunch of other smaller things. I would like to see everything freshened up.

The replacement is simply called Scan as I don't think anyone uses the Fax functionality any more.

No surprise for the 532, I'm pretty sure MS said a month or so ago that every WP8 Lumia will get upgraded to 10. If you're on WP 8.1.1 then there should be no issue going to 10.

Microsoft needs a flagship Lumia this year if they expect Windows Phone to survive. It's BS that most of my "Upgrade" options from my 920 are actually downgrades to lesser hardware.  

Microsoft needs a flagship Lumia this year if they expect Windows Phone to survive. It's BS that most of my "Upgrade" options from my 920 are actually downgrades to lesser hardware.  

Dot - go to the thread on the proposed Microsoft phablet (and my own comment) - I posit this phablet as just such a Lumia flagship (and a bridge to the Surface lineup AND an alternative to SurfaceRT).

Part of the reason for a LACK of a flagship Lumia today is that if Lumia screens get any bigger, they wind up in phablet turf, and why should Microsoft bring out a "me-too" phablet?  Instead, what about an Intel-driven phablet?  A phabllet that can run business-productivity software?  (I referred specifically to Office 2013 because enterprises likely have unused licenses for it - such a phablet could use existing seat licensing, therefore, the extra software cost to the business would be nil.)  Such a phablet (I gave it the cryptonym of Lumia 2015) would be anything BUT a "me-too" phablet.  It would also be the missing bridge between Lumia and Surface and an alternative to SurfaceRT (which would solve the biggest complaint - no x86 compatibility in the RT price range; because it would be a phablet, it would be a Lumia - NOT a Surface).

Microsoft is at work undoing the bad choices Nokia made at the end. Lets face it, the 530 should never have happened, and the 630/635 is not that good for the price in general.

The 435, 532 and 535 are a nice new line showing that MS isn't going to skimp out on the hardware. They need to do a new 638 or 636 with 1GB and dump all the 512mb models asap.

If Windows 10 mobile is going to take longer than we think they could do a 835 and a 935 respin with WP 8.1.2 with a guaranteed update to 10.

Exactly, the OS is going to be the same on everything. Only difference here is that ARM devices won't have a desktop.

technically both as the OS's are being fused

My point exactly, Brando.

While both Lumia and Surface are Microsoft "brands", there is a disconnect between the two.

Surface is the "Ultrabook/tablet" brand, while Lumia is the "smartphone" brand (there are no Lumia phablets).

Intel (with BayTrail Atom) has now entered the phablet SoC space - if Microsoft will launch a BTA phablet, it should properly be a Lumia (not Surface) and (like other Lumias) be sold primarily by wireless carriers (not to exempt the Microsoft Store or even traditional retailers, which are still selling current Lumias).  What would separate this proposed Lumia from other phablets are features (specifically, being able to run productivity software, such as Office 2013 - which no Lumia can do today).  As to why Office 201x in particular, it's software that businesses - especially enterprises - doubtless have unused seats for (and existing seat-management platforms for).  It saves enterprises money, configuration issues, and user headaches (it's software they are already using) - name ONE phablet that covers this turf today.  In other words, what Surface Pro did for Ultrabooks, this Lumia can do for phablets.

I have to ask -- how many different applications do you use in a given day?  If you use more applications than are pinned to the desktop and/or Taskbar, I can see why you would need SOME sort of menuing system; however, if you don't, how many unused shortcuts do you have (on your StartIsBack, your desktop, or both)?  One major problem I have run into (starting in technical support) are users with a major case of "shortcut-itis"  shortcuts to every application, utility, etc., on their desktop, in their Start menu, etc. Unused shortcuts DO chew up resources - if there are programs that load when Windows starts that you don't use, they REALLY chew up resources (this is something Microsoft has warned against going back to Windows 3.x).  Every so often, review your shortcuts - all of them.  If you have unused (or seldom-used) shortcuts, they are ripe for pruning.  (Despite my using both Word AND Outlook several times a day, I have not a single shortcut for either on my desktop - or my Taskbar.  Instead, I launch via the Runbox - the olde-schoole Windows method; it works in every version of Windows since 3.x; the reason WHY it works is because Office is in the PATH by default.  It also applies to any of the Windows utilities and applets (WordPad, Notepad, etc.).  It's very KISS (Keep It Simple, Son) - and it applies to every OS in existence; yet how many users don't do it?)

I just don't like the start screen and big tiles on my PC monitor that has a higher resolution than 1080p. Feels clunky and designed for a touch screen interface. It's not so much about how many applications I use, it's about feeling like I'm maximizing desktop space and productivity. I never do anything in fullscreen apart from word processing and playing games (or videos). My web browser and any apps I'm using are usually various window sizes.

Options are fine, but MS nuked the start button completely with Windows 8. It was a forced procedure that was completely unnecessary given an individual dev managed to reinstate the start menu very easily (startisback). If he/she can do it, MS can give desktop owners a choice. My desktop isn't a mobile device.

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea what Microsoft is doing with Windows Phone. We may find out more tomorrow but the lack of regular flagships is a major issue. The trouble is that everyone coming out of contract now will be looking to Android or iOS, meaning that Microsoft is missing out on those users for at least the next two years - users who may never switch back to Windows Phone. If I was looking for a new phone there just isn't anything available for Windows Phone that appeals to me.

Windows 10 might be an opportunity for Microsoft to reinvent itself but it's not like Windows Phone was a successful reinvention from Windows Mobile. Microsoft needs to be offering features that aren't available elsewhere and at prices that are competitive. Nokia did a good job distinguishing Lumia devices from others thanks to their colourful design but Microsoft hasn't done anything to expand on that.

Microsoft is at work undoing the bad choices Nokia made at the end. Lets face it, the 530 should never have happened, and the 630/635 is not that good for the price in general.

The 435, 532 and 535 are a nice new line showing that MS isn't going to skimp out on the hardware. They need to do a new 638 or 636 with 1GB and dump all the 512mb models asap.

You highlight one of the major problems, which is that the naming scheme is utterly ridiculous. HTC nearly drove itself into the ground with a similar practice. Apple, Samsung and Google have easier to follow product lines. I'm a tech enthusiast and try to follow mobiles as much as I can yet the Lumia range is utterly unnavigable.

I just don't like the start screen and big tiles on my PC monitor that has a higher resolution than 1080p. Feels clunky and designed for a touch screen interface. It's not so much about how many applications I use, it's about feeling like I'm maximizing desktop space and productivity. I never do anything in fullscreen apart from word processing and playing games (or videos). My web browser and any apps I'm using are usually various window sizes.

Options are fine, but MS nuked the start button completely with Windows 8. It was a forced procedure that was completely unnecessary given an individual dev managed to reinstate the start menu very easily (startisback). If he/she can do it, MS can give desktop owners a choice. My desktop isn't a mobile device.

In other words, you didn't have issues with the then-existing UI feeling kludged and clunky (from XP to 7) with all the patches and add-ons?

Part of my issue with the original Start menu was that clunky and kludged feeling with all the various patches and add-ons - worse, they did NOT work together uniformly.  Like you, I'm a keyboard+mouse user (no touch support whatever), so that definitely was NOT it.  The difference between us is that you needed that obvious bias toward mice (which I have nothing against - I even pointed out that some users DID need that); the only real difference is that despite my being a keyboard+mouse user, I'm not overly biased that way.

Another issue is that I don't have a desktop resolution taller than 1080p - mine is "exactly" 1080p.  (Due to my astigmatism, taller than 1080p is not practical - and it won't ever be practical as long as said astigmatism is not correctable by surgical means.)

Lastly, the very fact that a third party DID manage to bring it back should have enabled Microsoft to leave things as they were with 8.x - why the insistence that Microsoft throw THIS third-party developer (and all the others) under the bus?  Despite that I specifically didn't need THIS third-party utility, third-party utilities - in any OS - are there to fulfill needs of those that use them - therefore, being against them makes absolutely no sense.  It would be the same if Google banned third-party Web browsers from Android (or Apple were to do the same with iOS or OS X).

Have I explained myself sufficiently?

The replacement is simply called Scan as I don't think anyone uses the Fax functionality any more.

My point was that they don't need to have two of those things. The old one should be removed once the new one provides the same level of functionality. After all, it is already buried into Programs and Features.

Yea, those were really weird releases.

My point was that they don't need to have two of those things. The old one should be removed once the new one provides the same level of functionality. After all, it is already buried into Programs and Features.

It will be, the point is that no one sends faxes any more so the replacement, called Scan, is all we'll get.

Samsung ... have easier to follow product lines

I still remember my confusion between Galaxy S and Galaxy Ace on a phone call - not to mention Galaxy Y, Duo, Grand, Note, Tab etc. :laugh:

And yes, Lumina line desperately needs a new naming scheme.