Windows 10: You can't disable reporting errors back to microsoft and where's network config options for setup?

It actually does that. On the top of the Start Menu it says something like "We are preparing search (and installing the worstest drivers we can find)".

It didn't show that on mine, and still searching for 'location' yields no results, so it's broken.

Yes because I'm sure the 98% of users will be aware that they need to wait for indexing to finish. Common sense would be to tell the user the index is being built like it does on OS X.

Oh like this?

indexing.thumb.png.12cb00798c172833ccaf0

• Like 2

It didn't show that on mine, and still searching for 'location' yields no results, so it's broken.

Didn't show it on mine either - seems better now but if I type "act" it brings up some code files called activation but only brings up the Setting > Activation when I type the next i...

Broken? Who wouldn't expect having to reboot several times before all the start menu apps are indexed? They were even so kind to roll back to the awesome random truncated profile names so you can also toss a few reinstalls in-between.

Here's what I get when I search for 'settings', so it can find the settings app just not half the stuff inside of the settings app...

settings.png

Yes because I'm sure the 98% of users will be aware that they need to wait for indexing to finish. Common sense would be to tell the user the index is being built like it does on OS X.

98% of users have probably never searched for anything before.

It's not. Check through the group policy view, it tells you the setting is ignored if you are not on windows 10 enterprise.

You are apparently not referring to what I am speaking of. I am not referring to the telemetry feature unique to Windows 10, but to the Windows Error Reporting feature.
Screenshot_(34).thumb.png.b05bc40662da60

The very policies that pertain to WER include no mention of what you speak of and do allow you to disable WER. The terminology used in the screenshot that I previously posted is consistent with previous versions of Windows when WER is disabled; are you going to say that it is not truly disabled in those versions as well? If WER does not check for solutions, then why do you think that problems are submitted?

Observe what happens when an application crashes in Windows 10 when WER is disabled via Group Policy. There is no option to check for solutions and no mention of this. Screenshot_(35).thumb.png.89bda00a65329e

Edited by Ian W
Added screenshots

You are apparently not referring to what I am speaking of. I am not referring to the telemetry feature unique to Windows 10, but to the Windows Error Reporting feature.

No I mean windows error reporting.

error_report.png

No I mean windows error reporting.

error_report.png

That doesn't make any sense! How can you be referring to WER when you previously stated, "Check through the group policy view, it tells you the setting is ignored if you are not on windows 10 enterprise"? This is not the case with the WER policy that you just listed or even the WER policy that I previously posted.

Please refer to the entire post written above. That the policy you just posted applies only to Windows XP and Server 2003 is irrelevant; the one that I previously posted applies to Windows Vista and later.

Screenshot (34).png

That doesn't make any sense! How can you be referring to WER when you previously stated, "Check through the group policy view, it tells you the setting is ignored if you are not on windows 10 enterprise"? This is not the case with the WER policy that you just listed or even the WER policy that I previously posted.

Please refer to the entire post written above. That the policy you just posted applies only to Windows XP and Server 2003 is irrelevant; the one that I previously posted applies to Windows Vista and later.

Screenshot (34).png

No, it is a requirement that you have vista or greater for the key to be changed, this does NOT mean that the key is read or used. The previous keys for windows update for windows vista/7/8 are still in group policy, they still say 'Requirements: at least windows vista' but changing them doesn't do anything because the configuration has been removed. The keys are kept so that an organisation can have multiple different versions of windows on their network (2000 - XP - 7 - 8 - 10) with one set of group policy rules, most likely set on a windows 10 client PC connected to the server via MMC, and the options for all the OS's can be configured - again, this has no guarantee that a newer operating system will read or respect the value of the key. E.g. 'prevent access to 16 bit applications' can be configured on a 64 bit machine but will have no effect at all on 64 bit machines because there is no 16 bit executable support for 64 bit windows, but the descriptive text does not tell you this.

Another one - windows messenger; 'do not allow windows messenger to run, supported on: At least Windows Server 2003 operating systems or Windows XP Professional' - there is no windows messenger for windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, it was removed from windows, yet this key has not been updated to tell people that it has no effect.

No, it is a requirement that you have vista or greater for the key to be changed, this does NOT mean that the key is read or used. The previous keys for windows update for windows vista/7/8 are still in group policy, they still say 'Requirements: at least windows vista' but changing them doesn't do anything because the configuration has been removed. The keys are kept so that an organisation can have multiple different versions of windows on their network (2000 - XP - 7 - 8 - 10) with one set of group policy rules, most likely set on a windows 10 client PC connected to the server via MMC, and the options for all the OS's can be configured - again, this has no guarantee that a newer operating system will read or respect the value of the key. E.g. 'prevent access to 16 bit applications' can be configured on a 64 bit machine but will have no effect at all on 64 bit machines because there is no 16 bit executable support for 64 bit windows, but the descriptive text does not tell you this.

I just showed you a screenshot where WER is disabled in Windows 10 because of Group Policy. There is no prompt to submit information about an application crash to Microsoft when WER is disabled. Security and Maintenance (formerly Action Center) reports that it will not check for solutions (i.e., submit information to Microsoft).

I am well aware of Microsoft's commitment to compatibility, but this does not have anything to do with what you previously stated:Capture.thumb.PNG.5dc5ac5992bc38d274384c

Another one - windows messenger; 'do not allow windows messenger to run, supported on: At least Windows Server 2003 operating systems or Windows XP Professional' - there is no windows messenger for windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, it was removed from windows, yet this key has not been updated to tell people that it has no effect.

Just stop.  How much ignorance can you show in a day?

First its claiming a keylogger is in Windows 7 and now this?  Its not an app, LOL.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/168893

I just showed you a screenshot where WER is disabled in Windows 10 because of Group Policy. There is no prompt to submit information about an application crash to Microsoft when WER is disabled. Security and Maintenance (formerly Action Center) reports that it will not check for solutions (i.e., submit information to Microsoft).

I am well aware of Microsoft's commitment to compatibility, and this does not have anything to do with what you previously stated:Capture.thumb.PNG.5dc5ac5992bc38d274384c

Not according to their FAQ: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/feedback-diagnostics-privacy-faq

'Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide updates to Windows (via Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool), but some apps and features may not work correctly or at all.'

Just stop.  How much ignorance can you show in a day?

First its claiming a keylogger is in Windows 7 and now this?  Its not an app, LOL.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/168893

No it is not related to the messenger service. It's related to windows messenger which was bundled with windows XP and caused a huge outcry (feel free to google fu) because it was a PITA so various keys were added in SP1 or SP2 to disable it.

snip

donkey.png

Edited by zhangm

Not according to their FAQ: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/feedback-diagnostics-privacy-faq

'Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide updates to Windows (via Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool), but some apps and features may not work correctly or at all.'

And this is the telemetry feature that I previously referred to. Are you again going to tell me that WER isn't disabled when the policies are active? In spite of all the evidence to the contrary?

I am tired of how you keep changing the subject when you are shown to be wrong. In the OP you referred to WER, then you switched to compatibility, then you switched to the telemetry feature, and then back to WER, and then back to compatibility, and now—for good measure, apparently—we are back at the telemetry feature.

And this is the telemetry feature that I previously referred to.

I am tired of how you keep changing the feature when you are shown to be wrong. In the OP you referred to WER, then you switched to compatibility, then you switched to the telemetry feature, and then back to WER, and then back to compatibility, and now—for good measure, apparently—we are back at the telemetry feature.

The way I've read it is error reporting has been bundled into telemetry, that's how all the MS documentation reads to me.

Yes there's the 'send report to microsoft' dialogue when a program crashes but from what I understand, regardless if you send that or don't/have it enabled or not, it will send crash reports with telemetry data.

The way I've read it is error reporting has been bundled into telemetry, that's how all the MS documentation reads to me.

Yes there's the 'send report to microsoft' dialogue when a program crashes but from what I understand, regardless if you send that or don't/have it enabled or not, it will send crash reports with telemetry data.

Or perhaps disabling WER disables that aspect of telemetry? All of the available evidence suggests that this is the case, and really nothing to suggest otherwise.

Not possible to remove US english language files from system, a step backwards.

What do you mean? I installed a localized edition (official ISO) and it only shows one language. I don't remember being able to install an English version with a language pack and being able to remove English, at least not officially, I remember having to change the fallback registry entry for English to be removable. Actually it seems an improvement compared to previous versions since it seems install only one keyboard layout: previous Windows versions always installed English and it was super-annoying because there was no real way to get rid of it: even when removed from the language list and with the keyboard shortcuts disabled it would always pop up on somewhere unless eradicated from the registry XP-gangsta-style.