Has Windows 10 redeemed Microsoft?

You complain about a "tablet" layout on a desktop-formfactor PC - however, what makes ANY sense in terms of having a desktop-formfactor UI on something with a smaller screen (such as a notebook or laptop) - do you REALLY expect those of us that also have notebooks to be stuck "making do" with a desktop-formfactor-based UI simply to protect the biases OF that formfactor?  Speaking as someone that only recently added portables to his computing mix, that doesn't make ANY sense

- if touch and other features that are indeed more common with portable computing can be addressed, why can't the issues that are unique to portable computing (such as trackpads and touchpads - neither of which is remotely common on desktop-formfactor PCs) addressable?

I didn't complain, I was merely pointing out a fact.

You say you have only recently added portable to your mix. Have you already experienced the horrors of the touchpad? Don't you agree that having to navigate through the Metro interface using a touchpad is actually even worse than operating Metro by mouse?

Again (it's a question I asked before) are you referring to the form-factor, or desktop computing in general (which has not really existed since the luggable)?

Generally speaking I'm referring to any kind of computer interaction that doesn't include a touch screen.

Edited by EdLuX

Launch a group bey-atch email to the IT department on why the hell they jumped head first into a new OS.

They tested it out on five laptops; it wasn't the entire company.

I didn't complain, I was merely pointing out a fact.

You say you have only recently added portable to your mix. Have you already experienced the horrors of the touchpad? Don't you agree that having to navigate through the Metro interface using a touchpad is actually even worse than operating Metro by mouse?

Using Metro with a mouse works very well, actually. Better than with touch for some interactions. I just don't see the reason for all the "it doesn't work with a mouse" complaints - Metro does and IMO it works very well. I used Metro with a mouse for over a year before I got a touch device with Win8, and was quite happy with Metro and mouse. 

And using Metro with a touchpad is almost as bad as using the desktop with a touchpad.

Did it redeem Microsoft?  Nope, not in my view.  Their last 2 major OS releases have been flops.  8 was horrid; 8.1 was a very much needed improvement but still a major failure compared to 7. Giving Win10 as a free upgrade was very smart of them and has helped them regain some good karma.  But, 10 clearly was released as an unfinished product.  So no, they haven't redeemed themselves yet.  For me, it will take them releasing an OS that just works.  For the business world as well as for home users.  And without having to wait on a Service Pack to come along and fix major issues.  That's a pretty tall order, I know, but that's what I expect from them.

I have this laptop, the one I'm typing this on and did a screenshot of my device maanger in 8.1 and downloaded the drivers for my windows 7 64bit DVD OS. 

I had to get away from the metro'esque look of windows 8/8.1/8.2. That's all windows 10 is. several at least 3 updates for windows 10 have broken peoples installs. now they say in the news (front page neowin) said they won't say what's in the updates unless they are "significant" updates.  

Windows 7 is really the only "GOOD" OS during the decade 2000-2010. From XP-8, maybe 8.1, Windows 7 was the only complete OS. I read Neowin and what I've deducted is windows 10 was released as an unfinished product, that with all these updates, they are slowly completing the OS. Lord knows they don't listen to the insiders. I posted numerous feedbacks on various aspects of the Windows 10 OS in its early build days.

If you disagree, simply disregard what I say. We, as adults can mutually disagree. But the start menu given to us was a missed concept. People are still being forced to use start 10 or classic shell to get the start menu people like. But seriously, My windows 7 install, is a complete OS. XP worked, but easily compromised with infections, Vista wasn't liked, (I did like the UI look and feel) the kernel and core of the OS was massive. then 7 brought in a trimmed down kernel and core system and VERY reactive. A lot of steam users are complaining about windows 10. many of the titles people buy don't work and the going advice is to go back to 7. These new teams may have new concepts or perceptions on what we want.. no one knows what we want at MS. Impossible to fulfill. too many suggestions but MS is trying to create an OS that is revolutionary rather than evolutionary. 7 should have evolved into 8 then into 9 then into 10 with actual changes on how users use systems rather than create an OS that people have to work around.