Has Windows 10 redeemed Microsoft?

Why do you need those to be gripes when:

1. Telemetry not only can be turned off, but also exists in other versions of Windows.

2. WUDO can be turned off. Why gripe if it can be disabled?

3. Networks aren't shared unless you consciously share it out, and enter your key beforehand. The only thing enabled by default is the ability to do it. If it really bugs you, the ability can also be disabled.

4. Forced updates are a bit annoying. Settings is an app though and can be easily updated without huge fanfare.

It still not fixed

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/14/1756220/windows-10-still-phones-home-with-data-in-spite-of-privacy-settings

Why be so hyper loyal to an OS? Before we are dismissed as all haters I have to ask if you remember all the negative comments about Windows 7? I don't. Seems MS hit its peak in 2009. some would argue 2003 as it was the last time MS still had menus and no ribbons. Perhaps there is a reason for all of this

I can't wait for the Win32 x86 FitBit, Flipbook, and Facebook apps. Oh, wait.

Now you're just trolling.

It is called Chrome, Firefox, IE or Opera.  Why would I need to install Modern Applications (or even w32 ones) when web browsers give access to everything you listed ... and in many ways are superior.  Once again, just shows that Modern UI is primarily for smaller devices...not to replace w32.

How is that Photoshop Modern UI application coming along which replaces the w32 one.  Oh, wait.

• Like 2

It still not fixed

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/08/14/1756220/windows-10-still-phones-home-with-data-in-spite-of-privacy-settings

Why be so hyper loyal to an OS? Before we are dismissed as all haters I have to ask if you remember all the negative comments about Windows 7? I don't. Seems MS hit its peak in 2009. some would argue 2003 as it was the last time MS still had menus and no ribbons. Perhaps there is a reason for all of this

You have tunnel vision if you don't recall the gripes about Windows 7.

I am not hyper loyal, especially since I'm on OS X right now, I just don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Very little has changed with data collection since other versions of Windows. You see negativity, but you never consider why things are done. You just assume, OMG, MS is another Google!

• Like 3

You have tunnel vision if you don't recall the gripes about Windows 7.

I am not hyper loyal, especially since I'm on OS X right now, I just don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Very little has changed with data collection since other versions of Windows. You see negativity, but you never consider why things are done. You just assume, OMG, MS is another Google!

Examples:

Windows 7 complaints begin

http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/09/technology/windows_7_problems/

7 Things We Hate About Windows 7

http://gizmodo.com/5150284/7-things-we-hate-about-windows-7

• Like 3

Can you imagine if Microsoft implemented all of the functions\features from the suggestions\gripes in this thread?

...Yeah, it'd be a mess. The software will improve over time. The price of being early adopters :p. I used to be the same, not anymore lol. 

Party hats are coming off! http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-20150817-gj0i98.html

I usually take Microsoft news from Fairfax media with a pinch of salt as it seems they have some kind of grudge but this demonstrates WaaS can be completely over the average users head.

Possibly but I wouldn't expect it for around 6 months, it also gives up WaaS to some degree.

Edited by Son_Of_Dad

That's actually pretty good, if it's meant to be comedic. "Ejecting Devices Requires Too Many Clicks."

What I really hate about Windows 10 is the Volume Control. It used to be vertical in previous versions and now it has become horizontal.

Can you imagine the aggravation and discomfort this change has done to me?!

What I really hate about Windows 10 is the Volume Control. It used to be vertical in previous versions and now it has become horizontal.

Waaaa - it's not what I'm used to.  Please - it was different from the same control on my display (which has built-in speakers) until 10 - at least the two match up.  I use the display-contained speakers because they are NOT as loud as my default 2.1 speakers (due to lack of subwoofer).  Separate external speakers are not the default in most desktop-formfactor use cases, and they certainly aren't the default in portable applications - the separate speaker set is an edge-case, and has been an edge-case for quite a stretch.

Waaaa - it's not what I'm used to.  Please

You've just provided the overwhelming complaint for Windows 8. Nothing actually wrong with it just not what people are used to, why bother learning how something works.

You've just provided the overwhelming complaint for Windows 8. Nothing actually wrong with it just not what people are used to, why bother learning how something works.

Truth - and it's something I referred to back when the Windows 8 Developer Preview arrived.  Still, change is inevitable - and in everything.  Therefore, that means that relearning how things work is ALSO inevitable.  Sticking your head in the sand has never been an option; we in IT should be the MOST aware of it.

Mine is vertical.

Truth - and it's something I referred to back when the Windows 8 Developer Preview arrived.  Still, change is inevitable - and in everything.  Therefore, that means that relearning how things work is ALSO inevitable.  Sticking your head in the sand has never been an option; we in IT should be the MOST aware of it.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

I don't like how it constantly turns my pinned icons invisible and I know it's not me because I went to work today and everyone else's Windows 10 computers were doing the same damn thing.

Also, I hate how they never go the distance. We've got replacement apps with less features than the app they're supposed to replace. We still don't have a make-your-own-tile utility. There are tons of Microsoft applications that don't support tiles (seriously, you make a new UI element then you don't support it with the majority of your own applications?). Configuring options for the OS are split between the new settings interface and the old control panel interface.

If you're going to redo the UI then go all out. Don't change it for a few things then leave in a ton of legacy interfaces that you still have to use.

I went to work today and everyone else's Windows 10 computers were doing the same damn thing.

Launch a group bey-atch email to the IT department on why the hell they jumped head first into a new OS.

Waaaa - it's not what I'm used to.  Please - it was different from the same control on my display (which has built-in speakers) until 10 - at least the two match up.  I use the display-contained speakers because they are NOT as loud as my default 2.1 speakers (due to lack of subwoofer).  Separate external speakers are not the default in most desktop-formfactor use cases, and they certainly aren't the default in portable applications - the separate speaker set is an edge-case, and has been an edge-case for quite a stretch.

I'm afraid you've lost me. What are you trying to say? That most modern flatscreens have built-in speakers? That separate speaker sets are too loud?

I plugged in some headphones and the volume control stayed horizontal. I thought maybe this setting is for L-R balance but no.

I'm really confused now and it's all your fault!

PS.  ;)

Nothing wrong with Windows 8, sure. It was just a complete mismatch with desktop computing.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Change in how things work is part of computing - on every level - and always has been.  Doesn't matter whether it's mainframes or tablets - in fact, where would phones (not JUST cell phones) be without changes in how things work?  Do you want to revert all the way back to rotary dialing?  Opinion really doesn't enter into it with change in general - at most you may have opinions on SPECIFIC changes; however, you have as much chance of stopping more general changes as Canute did of sweeping back the tide with that corn-broom.  I'm not talking Moore's Law, but a far more believable law that, in fact, predates computing; Heinlein's Law.  "What one brain can do, a better brain can either undo or improve."  Nobody has perfected the undo yet.  Improve?  Yes - we have LOTS of that.  For that reason alone, it makes no more sense to stick your head in the sand than it would with Brainiac (or Ultron) up in your face.  Otherwise, you wind up squashed flat, covered in syrup, jelly, jam, or powdered sugar, and served up for breakfast - and I don't know about you, but I have no desire whatever to be THAT committed to breakfast that i become part of the meal itself.

Heinlein's Law.  "What one brain can do, a better brain can either undo or improve."

Heinlein; The Master Of The Open Door.

Nobody has perfected the undo yet.  Improve?  Yes - we have LOTS of that.

LuX' Law: Progress doesn't automatically mean improvement.

For that reason alone, it makes no more sense to stick your head in the sand than it would with Brainiac (or Ultron) up in your face.  Otherwise, you wind up squashed flat, covered in syrup, jelly, jam, or powdered sugar, and served up for breakfast - and I don't know about you, but I have no desire whatever to be THAT committed to breakfast that i become part of the meal itself.

One day your car will be smarter than you and  will squash you flat like a pancake, with butter & sugar.

I'm afraid you've lost me. What are you trying to say? That most modern flatscreens have built-in speakers? That separate speaker sets are too loud?

I plugged in some headphones and the volume control stayed horizontal. I thought maybe this setting is for L-R balance but no.

I'm really confused now and it's all your fault!

PS.  ;)

Most desktop speaker sets ARE too loud for their surroundings (typically cubes) - also, most flat-panel displays do include speakers (after all, they are, by and large, STILL based on FPTV displays - which still include them; the difference between such displays is, if anything, less than it was when both sorts of displays were based on cathode-ray tubes).  The 2.1 external speakers I am referring to in fact DO date back to the CRT days (which weren't that long ago - in fact, Bush the Younger was about to finish his second term, and Windows 7 had recently launched) - because most CRT displays did NOT have built-in speakers (as a lot of CRT TVs had extremely-poor-quality speakers, unsuitable even for reproduction of the low-quality PC audio of the day).

Nothing wrong with Windows 8, sure. It was just a complete mismatch with desktop computing.

Before luggables, "desktop computing" was, in fact, the ONLY factor, for the rather simple reason that computers weren't portable.  However, when the first practical luggables came about (before even Windows NT), "desktop computing", even (if not especially) within Microsoft, referred to the form-factor - not anything else.  However, no concessions were made in any sort of computing to deal with luggables - until XP, few concessions had been made to deal with even laptops, let alone notebooks (which had begun to appear in what Beldar Conehead would refer to as "mass quantities").  How many concessions were made even post-XP (at the very least, between XP and 8) to deal with laptops and notebooks?  (Notice that I have not even ONCE mentioned tablets OR slates.)  Now (and by now, I am referring to merely between 8 and 10), we have suddenly attempted to pigeonhole "portable computing" as exclusively tablets and slates; however, there are still plenty of notebooks being made (while the Surface 3 may be a tablet, the Surface Pro 3 is more of a convertible notebook than a true tablet) - HP and Dell, among others, still sell a significant number of notebooks - in Toshiba's case, that is their entire marketplace.  In other words, tablets have not completely obviated the need for the notebook - and in a lot of cases, they never will.  (I've pointed out - repeatedly - that one advantage that notebooks have over tablets is a larger physical screen size; however, notebooks LACK screen size compared to desktop-formfactor PCs.  For that same reason, a screen layout that may be great on a desktop-formfactor PC bites on a notebook, or even a laptop.  You complain about a "tablet" layout on a desktop-formfactor PC - however, what makes ANY sense in terms of having a desktop-formfactor UI on something with a smaller screen (such as a notebook or laptop) - do you REALLY expect those of us that also have notebooks to be stuck "making do" with a desktop-formfactor-based UI simply to protect the biases OF that formfactor?  Speaking as someone that only recently added portables to his computing mix, that doesn't make ANY sense - if touch and other features that are indeed more common with portable computing can be addressed, why can't the issues that are unique to portable computing (such as trackpads and touchpads - neither of which is remotely common on desktop-formfactor PCs) addressable?

Again (it's a question I asked before) are you referring to the form-factor, or desktop computing in general (which has not really existed since the luggable)?

Most desktop speaker sets ARE too loud for their surroundings (typically cubes) - also, most flat-panel displays do include speakers (after all, they are, by and large, STILL based on FPTV displays - which still include them; the difference between such displays is, if anything, less than it was when both sorts of displays were based on cathode-ray tubes).  The 2.1 external speakers I am referring to in fact DO date back to the CRT days (which weren't that long ago - in fact, Bush the Younger was about to finish his second term, and Windows 7 had recently launched) - because most CRT displays did NOT have built-in speakers (as a lot of CRT TVs had extremely-poor-quality speakers, unsuitable even for reproduction of the low-quality PC audio of the day).

"Cubes"?  Or do you mean "cubicles"? Don't you think it would be be wiser to use headsets in cubicles? Also, I wikipedied "FPTV" and it turned out to be a Canadian Portugese Speaking specialty tv channel ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPTV without disambiguation).

Anyway, I'm now on my 3d flat panel screen (an LG 27EA63) and guess what? Like its predecessors on my desk It has NO built in-speakers but it DOES have a headphones OUT! (as you may know, one can attach an external speaker set on a headphones out.)

All 'n all I still don't understand what your point is because imho it really doesn't matter 1 bit which kind of speakers/headphones you use when applying volume control in Windows.