Speed test your connection

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a customer of Foothills Telephone, which I believe is a subsidiary of Mikrotec.  I did have 3 Mbps down and 512 kbps up for like $40 a month, but I just upgraded to the 8 down and 1 up plan because it was getting painful with a game console and two computers in the house.  If one of us was watching YouTube or downloading something, the other one was just SOL.

I've tested the connection several times since upgrading and even during peak hours it has been pretty consistent.  I'm paying $70 a month for it, which is kind of sad cause' I got 12 down and 3 up for $60 when I lived in Washington, but for a rural area I can't complain too much.  Comcast and Time Warner don't even have lines here so we literally have like 2 companies to get internet from unless you try to use a 3G card with your cell phone company or satellite internet services or something.

3973620113.png

post-59115-0-16312400-1418211763.png

Download Speed: 25653 kbps (3206.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 23581 kbps (2947.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

UK Virgin MPLS 100mbit (2x pipes in HSRP mode @work) It shows BT because......most of Virgins National Ethernet is infact BT infra ;) they don't tell their customers that bit!

disappointing results tbvh but then again there are 200 systems and 150 users pounding the connections instead of doing work :woot: and of course the trans-atlantic pipe.

Uk side speedtest

3973950104.png

www.speedtest.net for uk measurement.

annual cost ?22k p.a. per line, so ?44k pa for 200mbit up/down. Home users are spoiled & heavily subsidised whilst companies get hammered!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as everyone knows, flash based speed tests are generally as inaccurate as all get out, but they're usually "off" by playing it safe and making your connection "look" better than it is. that said, my result is actually pretty close to accurate on that site this time, although still not quite what my speed plan is.

Download Speed: 58385 kbps (7298.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3556 kbps (444.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

4048060726.png

Will be moving to Virgin Media 50Mbps in just over a week, never had over 10Mbps before so a little excited. Moved my brothers onto Virgin Media 100Mbps just under a month and speeds are good and they really happy with it! (Below is their Speedtest)

4048065962.png