Speed test your connection

108.thumb.JPG.6f6071ffa12c92904983adb3920a0103.JPG

I have not read every single post in all 51 pages here, but we are having a controversy in my town concerning the internet speed we are getting.

The term "speed burst" has come up. I'm not a network person. All I've used is Speedtest but I'm wondering what would be a good program to test what your true internet speed is over a longer period of time. Thx.

4 minutes ago, tompkin said:

I have not read every single post in all 51 pages here, but we are having a controversy in my town concerning the internet speed we are getting.

The term "speed burst" has come up. I'm not a network person. All I've used is Speedtest but I'm wondering what would be a good program to test what your true internet speed is over a longer period of time. Thx.

A bandwidth test that lets you choose your file size. Speed burst in my experience is only good for a very short time. 

Alternately, download a large file from s site you know has a large pipe to it. I tested mine here with msdn. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

A bandwidth test that lets you choose your file size. Speed burst in my experience is only good for a very short time. 

Alternately, download a large file from s site you know has a large pipe to it. I tested mine here with msdn. 

What one person is claiming is that the ISP is advertising (for the lowest plan) 30mbps. He is saying that a burst speed will go up to that speed then come back down to 10 or 5mbps. He is claiming that the ISP is ripping people off because they are advertising the burst speed when in reality (he says) they may only be getting a third of the speed.

Just now, tompkin said:

What one person is claiming is that the ISP is advertising (for the lowest plan) 30mbps. He is saying that a burst speed will go up to that speed then come back down to 10 or 5mbps. He is claiming that the ISP is ripping people off because they are advertising the burst speed when in reality (he says) they may only be getting a third of the speed.

Well the rub there is that it is probably up to 30. Unless it is DSL, it is a shared pipe so the more neighborhood traffic, the less there is to go around. 

Going by mw own experiences, I'm rated to 300/30 but I speed test at 375 which then trickles down to 335 and with a sustained download, I've seen it peak at 37 megabytes per second. The trickle down effect is a speed burst tech, pretty sure. So imo I would think you would speed burst above 30 and then trickle down closer to the rated speed. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Well the rub there is that it is probably up to 30. Unless it is DSL, it is a shared pipe so the more neighborhood traffic, the less there is to go around. 

Going by mw own experiences, I'm rated to 300/30 but I speed test at 375 which then trickles down to 335 and with a sustained download, I've seen it peak at 37 megabytes per second. The trickle down effect is a speed burst tech, pretty sure. So imo I would think you would speed burst above 30 and then trickle down closer to the rated speed. 

Last question: When I do the download of the big file for the test, is Speedtest good enough or do I need something else?

3 minutes ago, tompkin said:

Last question: When I do the download of the big file for the test, is Speedtest good enough or do I need something else?

Try downloading a trial OS, like Windows Server 2016. That will give you a better idea of sustained speed. Don't do it on wifi if possible. 

Or something like this: http://speedtest.tele2.net/

• Like 2

3/26/2017 9:58 PM Download: 52.18 Mbps Upload: 4.66 Mbps

Pay for 60/5. On a super old computer using Palemoon SSE running Lubuntu 16.04LTS

Don't have a clue why this computer has ALWAYS had such a lousy upload on certain sites like that second one?!

screen.png

screen2.png

Edited by cork1958

gigabit fiber in Iceland. vodafone isp.

test from the country is  slower.

cant go any faster on lan port ?

2 ms ping.

Download

939.71 Mbps

Upload

935.54 Mbps

• 1 month later...

128761096-obEOGg2z.png

This thread reminded me to do a speed test. Nothing else is running, except for this forum and the speed test in the test.

Though, speed tests aren't exactly an accurate representation of your true Internet speed, it seems.

Using BT Infinity 2 (unlimited), Wi-Fi connection not far from the router (my bedroom is above the living room, where the router is stored).

Also, this is a slight bump, but I felt the need to share this as it is in a stuck thread.

• 1 month later...

6380017159.png

:D but that's supposed to be 100Mbps upload.. i dunno why it's showing 57. Either way, I'm only paying for this speed until my 3 month special pricing ends, after that i'll be going to 100/50, which is still plenty fast.. still too expensive @ $91 a month before tax :(

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...