SpaceX Updates (Thread 7)

I don't want to sit here and say "everything will be okay, we'll catch up in no time" because then we become the punchline of a Hitler Rant parody.

I'm starting to think that the "Fall of the Warsaw Pact" was a put-on. How better to get an adversary who would be willing to stop breathing down your neck to actually do so? One who would then be willing and able to then pour incalculable sums of money, manpower, business, technical expertise and even friendship into your Nation and your allies' Nations until all of you were sick of it? By the time your nation had finally sorted out whatever had been ailing it, and you were then powerful again -- even to the point that your adversary had become reliant upon your qualities -- you could then tighten the noose around their neck, and they would endure nearly any misdeed.

I believe we're approaching that time, but as much as I admire Russian "hard work" and their ability to cope with hardship and press on .. I think they're getting a little too daring.

My opinion only.

• Like 1

Being an outsider, I think that I may have an unusual take on things...such as....

Nations will be nations, politics will be politics and government pork barreling will be as such, and will remain at the whims of the greedy, with no nation exempt. What they lack is a vision, and once a vision is cast by visionaries.....innovation and progress follow.....look what JFK did, many years ago....and look at what newspace is doing now....we will be all right, I am sure of that.

:) 

2 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Being an outsider, I think that I may have an unusual take on things...such as....

Nations will be nations, politics will be politics and government pork barreling will be as such, and will remain at the whims of the greedy, with no nation exempt. What they lack is a vision, and once a vision is cast by visionaries.....innovation and progress follow.....look what JFK did, many years ago....and look at what newspace is doing now....we will be all right, I am sure of that.

I hope so. As I said, it's my opinion only, and I'm sure I'm just "in flux" (to put it in a nutshell, hehe) -- today's one of my "moody days". We'll all be okay and things will work out one way or another. ;) 

• Like 1

As per Doc's post....

SpaceX Falcon 9 upgrade certified for National Security Space launches

1/22/2016 - LOS ANGELES AIR FORCE BASE, El Segundo, Calif.  -- Lt. Gen. Samuel Greaves, Air Force Program Executive Officer for Space and Space and Missile Systems Center commander, updated the certified baseline configuration of SpaceX's Falcon 9 Launch System to Falcon 9 Upgrade, for use in National Security Space (NSS) missions. The baseline configuration of the Falcon 9 Launch System was updated to the Falcon 9 Upgrade on Jan. 25.

SpaceX is eligible for award of NSS launch missions, in accordance with the updated Certification Letter, as one of two currently certified launch providers.

The partnership between SpaceX and the Air Force continues as they focus on SpaceX's newest vehicle configuration, Falcon 9 Upgrade. SpaceX and Air Force technical teams will jointly work to complete the tasks required to prepare SpaceX and the Falcon 9 Upgrade for NSS missions.

This certification update takes into account all of the Spring 2015 Independent Review Committee's recommendations, including clarification that the SMC commander, as the certifying official, has the authority to grant certification and updates based on a New Entrant's demonstrated capability to design, produce, qualify and deliver their launch system. This includes allowing New Entrant certification with some open work, provided there are jointly approved work plans in place that support potential NSS mission processing timelines.

"The certification process provides a path for launch-service providers to demonstrate the capability to design, produce, qualify, and deliver a new launch system and provide the mission assurance support required to deliver NSS satellites to orbit," Greaves said.  "This gives the Air Force confidence that the national security satellites will safely achieve the intended orbits with full mission capability."

more at the link...

http://www.losangeles.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123467492

• Like 1

AMOS-6 Scheduled for May 2016 Launch by Space-X

Spacecom reports announced that Space-X has scheduled the launch of the AMOS-6 satellite for May 2016. AMOS-6, to be co-located with AMOS-2 and AMOS-3 at the 4 W prime orbital position, will provide services to Western, Central and Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.

Its Ka-band beams have been selected by Facebook to be the satellite backbone of its initiative to bring broadband Internet to Sub Sahara Africa with Eutelsat.

Space-X is scheduled to launch AMOS-6 via a Falcon-9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, FL, USA during the May 2016 window.

AMOS-6's 39 Ku-band segments and 24 Ka-band beams will provide a wide array of services. The new satellite will be larger than AMOS-2 and AMOS-3 combined and will incorporate new technologies such as High Throughput Ka-band spot beams for improved broadband internet access. The Ka-band spot beams will cover Europe and Africa as well as Ku-band technologies for new and existing clients.

Spacecom CEO and president David Pollack, stated, "We are excited by AMOS-6. It will expand our European coverage throughout all of the continent with a new Pan-European beam and with its HTS Ka-band spot beams, the satellite will take us into new markets and provide tremendous services to our clients."

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/AMOS_6_Scheduled_for_May_2016_Launch_by_Space_X_999.html

This may be the heaviest bird yet...?

SpaceX Ready for Ambitious Year of Construction at Texas Launch Site, USAF Certifies Upgraded Falcon-9

Nice write-up with a few images...

http://www.americaspace.com/?p=90975#more-90975

• Like 1

Check your calendars kiddies,

Musk announced in Hong Kong that SpaceX will announce their Mars architecture at the September 26-30 International Astronautical Congress 2016 conference, which is in Guadalajara, Mexico.

First Mars mission about 2025

Also; he expects to visit ISS in a few years

• Like 2

I will staple my calendar, to my forehead....:woot:

edit...would love to see Elon enter through the ISS hatch...and do a Dr. Evil finger plant....

2DrEvil.thumb.jpg.b99c911631c12bf1e6c980

Edited by Draggendrop
comedy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DocM said:

We know we're in trouble when he buys a dead volcano ;) 

... And there's the final piece of the puzzle! We've seen his rockets, we've seen his tube transit system.. Soon, his volcano base shall be revealed!

As soon as satellites start to vanish from orbit, we know we've got a -real- supervillain on ours hands!

He doesn't own a white persian cat, does he?

• Like 2

Oh No.....

tumblr_m90ka7Zr021rby5xwo1_500.thumb.jpg

and this scene after last Dragon splashdown....

Rescue-460x304.thumb.jpg.58f2e2e2091d3cb

:woot:

Edited by Draggendrop
  • Like 1

Generic article...

Elon Musk reiterates Mars mission ambitions

Elon Musk, founder of private spaceflight company Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX), said on Tuesday that his firm aims to put humans on Mars by 2025.

The billionaire entrepreneur, who is also the man behind electric-car maker Tesla Motors, reiterated comments made in the past that people can be taken to the red planet within ten years, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reported.

Speaking at the StartmeupHK Venture Forum in Hong Kong, Musk shared his thoughts on innovative ideas that could yield big returns.

Electric aircraft, anti-disease gene technology and brain-computer interface are three top ideas that entrepreneurs should look into, said Musk.

Musk, 44, who has been dubbed as the “real Iron Man” and well known for his innovative ideas, predicted that all vehicles will be equipped with auto driving technology in the next 10 to 15 years.

The entrepreneur is seeking to apply Tesla Motor technology and create electric aircraft, which are seeing enabling humans to explore the space and live on Mars by 2025.

In other comments, Musk said that Tesla has taken 70 percent share of Hong Kong’s electric vehicle market. 

Last year, 2,221 Tesla Model S vehicles were sold in Hong Kong, the highest in the world on a per capita basis, he said.

http://www.ejinsight.com/20160127-elon-musk-reiterates-mars-mission-ambitions/

The Atlas launch is delayed as well, electrical connections for payload...?

Better to be safe with this fresh start....

:(

edit Atlas source...

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/missions/earth-science/launch-of-gps-iif-12-delayed/

Edited by Draggendrop
added source

1 hour ago, DocM said:

Yeah, the reasons have been on L2.  Not sure if they'll slide something into an early Feb. slot or not.

That ok.... It will be totally worth the wait.  :yes:

• Like 1