SpaceX Updates (Thread 7)

The new SpaceX dispenser is a really big deal as it can handle heavier satellites than the ESPA rings used for ORBCOMM. They're also critical for launching "CommX."

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

Looks like it's stackable, too. FH could likely carry as many as will fit inside that huge fairing ... all it needs is a heavier interstage mount to hold the weight of all those birds and the dispensers onto the S2, and presto. Happy customer. :yes: 

• Like 1

Confirmed: the first reflown Falcon 9 will use the CRS-8 core. They're finalizing an agreement with the customer.

Also, SpaceX believes they've found a way to better protect the engines during reentry, this so that fluids do not boil and the engines restart normally. Sounds like another protruding nail has been countersunk.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

More on the new SpaceX satellite dispenser. With the 2 tiers shown it masses 1 tonne.

Looks like the tiers are generic; stack more for increased capacity.  Time for a longer fairing :)

SpaceX developed a Falcon 9 satellite dispenser unit that was capable of managing the critical-timed separation and deployment of ten satellites from each rocket. These dispensers were built out of a carbon fiber composite to reduce mass, minimize the total number of parts and simplify their composition while increasing structural stiffness and strength. The design of this dispenser places the Iridium NEXT satellite vehicles in two separate stacked tiers around the outside of each dispenser, holding five satellites per tier.

spacex iridium dispenser-web.jpg

• Like 2

Yessir. Now we're talkin'. Looks like they're gonna need longer fairings. :yes: Plus, if they're built smartly, they can get a longer fairing out of (roughly) the same weight or even less as the current ones using Carbon Fiber for the shell and wider crosshatches to add rigidity .. yeah.

• Like 1

Now that SpaceX has CRS-9 launched, and the S1 has landed at LZ-1 in magnificent shape, and interesting idea comes to mind about what SpaceX can do next to really challenge themselves before the Falcon Heavy and Dragon 2 Test Programmes get underway in 4Q 2016+.

Since the ultimate goal of reuse is "rapid turnaround", I propose that SpaceX starts putting some more of it into actual practice. Bear in mind that I'm gonna walk the process backwards. 

We already know that they've made huge headway in the Falcon 9 loading/unloading procedures regarding preflight and fuel/LOX -- they can do all of the preflight stuff in about 35 minutes, with going vertical in about 9 minutes and an hour to connect Fuel Lines, other Launch Hardware and go through checklists (I assume).

Takes them, what, an hour to rollout to the Pad from the Hangar/Integration Building? Two, even?

In the H/IB, it takes Marty and the Wonder Workers a full day to get a payload strapped onto an S2 & an Interstage and Fairings secured for Flight, maybe two. Of course, they can have this work done before it actually needs to be mounted to an S1. Preparation work is going to be everything with rapid turnaround, so yeah, they'll wanna have S2's on upward done ahead of time.

So let's say that Marty and the Wonder Workers have done this work ahead of time, and that the S1 is already on the Launch Pad and they haul the S2 on upwards out to the Pad and perform the integration there. It's a timesaving measure, but it'll still take them three hours to get it mounted and connected up. Afterwards, the Strongback will erect the now-complete Falcon-9 and the Preflight stuff can start once everyone has cleared out. Hell, they could even be waiting for the S1 to arrive from the Hangar after the below paragraph, saving some time. :yes: 

All that's missing, now, is how our S1 got there. We've landed at LZ-1, obviously. The S1 is in great shape, no issues. The Recovery Crews have quickly and expertly done their stuff, and the recently-landed S1 has been re-certified for flight, cleaned up, hauled back to the Hangar and lifted back onto a Strongback for the next launch. I'm suggesting that this process, total, will take six hours.

So, by my chunkulation, SpaceX could theoretically perform a Reflight on the same S1 with another payload within 12 hours. :) I'm sure they'd like to get that number lower, but I don't see that number being realistically lower than eight.

Your thoughts, anyone?

Assembly of any complicated nature is generally not done in the open due to environmental conditions for the workers and equipment, FOD, security concerns and company proprietary secrets.

Systems checks will also require test equipment, some of which are probably not portable.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocM said:

More likely they use a queue with weeks between each cores flights.

24 minutes ago, Draggendrop said:

Assembly of any complicated nature is generally not done in the open due to environmental conditions for the workers and equipment, FOD, security concerns and company proprietary secrets.

Systems checks will also require test equipment, some of which are probably not portable.

Valid points. I was thinking of my example more in an experimental & testing scenario. A "let's see if we can actually do it" sort of thing. :) 

• Like 1

The IAC 2016 Mars architecture presentation now has a name,

Colonizing Mars - A deep technical presentation on the space transport architecture needed to colonize Mars

CnxTWXXXgAAA8Xj.jpg

• Like 2

Draft EIS for SpaceX's Vandenberg SLC-4W stage landing complex.

It gives some propellant load info for F9 FT, and it reveals the grid fins give the first stage a cross-range of 25-50 km. 

Very interesting, if longish, read.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/permits/incidental/research/spacex_2016iha_draftea.pdf

• Like 2

Thank's...just downloaded the pdf. Should have some buried goodies.

The S1 does present a large cross section for "lifting body" use, and by the looks of it, SpaceX uses it to advantage...nice...:)

• Like 1

On 19/07/2016 at 11:44 AM, jjkusaf said:

Found this video interesting.  

<snip>

Thanks for sharing this, I always find these topics pretty interesting but way over my head so it was nice to have a much simpler view on what SpaceX are doing.

• Like 3

Just remember that video is 2-3 years old, meaning an eternity in SpaceX R&D terms. The BFR images shown date to 2012 and are not what's in development.  

• Like 3

J/K      This would be the one time that "ticket scalpers" could make money on a science event.

That would be so neat to be there.....:D

Bits and bytes....

Image album on imgur, contains images of the prep work on the pad for SpaceX HQ S1.....it will be an "X" for the legs.....:D

HQ S1 pad prep

Slow Sunday for news, so I thought that I would "space spam" the thread with some SpaceX art themes from Stanley Von Medvey, which you have probably seen before, but look more relevant every day that passes...

Image sources

SHLV_Return.jpg?1414884749

credit Stanley Von Medvey

Shipping_Center_cgtalk.jpg?1414887041

o4hLw.jpg

• Like 2

Jeff Foust ‏@jeff_foust
Gary Payton, speaking at AIAA conference, says he understands that, as of a few days ago, SpaceX has found a customer for reused Falcon 9.

• Like 1