Welcome to Neowin Forums on 4.1!

The activity streams are a horrible replacement for new content for so many reasons. 

1. Being that it doesn't actually do the same job

2. The horrible layout that focuses on posts instead of topic view(why... why would I want post view..., and why is everything so big and wasteful with those stupid icons everywhere)

3. it doesn't work. if you set it to show topic you posted in, you'll be lucky to get 1-3 topics/posts.

New content was pretty much the only way I browsed the forum unless I was looking for something specific or making a thread. This severely reduces the usability of the forums and activity of me and probably the other new content browsers. which is the only way to browse large forums. 

3 hours ago, Brandon H said:

subscribers can choose not to have that show so that may have been what you were seeing (or not for that matter :p )

Wow, that's a horribly thought out feature.  (After someone replies to this, I'll change the post to explain how it's a great feature)

I don't think I like activity steams either.

Also, view counts for threads are no longer updating. New threads have a permanent 0 views problem.

20 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

View counts will be looked at today, and Unread Content is pretty much the new name for New Content, when I go here https://www.neowin.net/forum/discover/unread/ it shows me topics I have never accessed in the order of the newest, what is there not to like about this exact same feature?

I already explained this earlier and in another thread.

it may be the "new version" of new content, but it's not as good and doesn't do the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I already explained this earlier and in another thread.

it may be the "new version" of new content, but it's not as good and doesn't do the same thing. 

What doesn't it do? For me it shows New Content I have never read before, nothing there is anything I already replied in or follow.

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

The activity streams are a horrible replacement for new content for so many reasons. 

1. Being that it doesn't actually do the same job

2. The horrible layout that focuses on posts instead of topic view(why... why would I want post view..., and why is everything so big and wasteful with those stupid icons everywhere)

3. it doesn't work. if you set it to show topic you posted in, you'll be lucky to get 1-3 topics/posts.

New content was pretty much the only way I browsed the forum unless I was looking for something specific or making a thread. This severely reduces the usability of the forums and activity of me and probably the other new content browsers. which is the only way to browse large forums. 

Also using quoting in the editor still is as bugged as in the last update, more so even. keeps bringing up old quotes you did earlier instead of the posts you actually quoted, and deleting the old quotes is almost impossible. CTRL+A no longer works. so you need to manually mark, then delete, then click on the quote box, then it delete, NOT backspace, since despite being in the text box, backspace will make you go "back"

This has been an issue on every computer I've sed and every browser on the latest version, and a less severe version where you could actually ctrl+a and backspace on the previous update, but still it kept bringing up old quotes and even your replies you wrot, and not the post you actually clicked quote on. You need to delete the quote, then scroll back up to the post you where going to quote and click quote again. 

Use the condensed view which is an option on the right. Search preferences might not be fully fixed yet, I will ask the devs about this.

16 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Use the condensed view which is an option on the right. Search preferences might not be fully fixed yet, I will ask the devs about this.

I use the condensed view. it's still a horrible design compared to the old plain topic view which was identical to what you get in the forum categories. 

I mean, just go into a forum, and see how much cleaner and more efficient that layout is, than the messy crap that is unread content. 

one is clean, organized, efficient and easy to see what is what. the other is a mess that looks like it was made by a newbie UI designer who thinks he needs to get ieverythign in there at once and preferably have lots of large "helpfull" icons to label everything... ugh. 

16 hours ago, Yogurth said:

Commenting and quoting in the main page threads are super buggy :(  In fact quoting system is completely broken.

Agree, i see a lot of duplicate quotes and answers when using quote.

Edit it looks to be fixed.

19 hours ago, Aokromes said:

Agree, i see a lot of duplicate quotes and answers when using quote.

Edit it looks to be fixed.

It is not. It is just unpredictable. 

Come on guys, this is basic stuff and still not fixed. Notice the two forum entries. 

image.png

Also, unread content does not hide ignored users content. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Come on guys, this is basic stuff and still not fixed. Notice the two forum entries. 

image.png

We all have day jobs, and cosmetic issues like a menu option appearing twice, which doesn't in any way impact on usability, are not our top priorities when we come to look at Neowin issues. We will get to all of the bugs when we have time, but there are a lot of things we are working on at the moment. Have some patience.

6 hours ago, DaveLegg said:

We all have day jobs, and cosmetic issues like a menu option appearing twice, which doesn't in any way impact on usability, are not our top priorities when we come to look at Neowin issues. We will get to all of the bugs when we have time, but there are a lot of things we are working on at the moment. Have some patience.

It may not impact usability but it impacts the impression of a site.

I have a day job too but am willing to help out. Sounds like you guys need some extra hands. Sorry if I seem impatient, but unlike other people who have been posting here, all I get in feedback is "seems fine here". or nothing at all. There is literally no acknowledgement to the bug reports I am giving. Kinda feeling ignored. This particular bug with the duplicated forums in the navigation was posted before and not once did anyone post back past, "you must be cached". Well I've tried it amongst many devices, and it is not a cache issue. Can you guys at least acknowledge the issues being reported so we don't feel like we are being ignored?

As for priorities, I hope this one is number 1:

Unless you want to lose the forum to hackers. While the redirect on the second login *cough* is SSL, the form POST is not, and passwords are sent as plain text.

• Like 1

What's really needed is a bug track page where we can see exactly what's been reported, and it's current status. I to feel like Adrynalyne, like we report stuff and it's largely ignored or just not acknowledged. The double forum entry in the menu may not be a huge frame work issue, but it is amateurish, and despite what Dave said, is a usability screw up (many reports and heat maps have shown user confusion with duplicate menu items). It's also something that can be sorted in roughly 10 minutes, so do t, check it off and move on.

I update my subscription on this site, and i'm happy to, but i would love to see the team pick up the pace a bit on the frankly absurd issues we're seeing.

Sorry to say the forum and front page at the moment is probably one of the worst experiences iv`e come across in a long time. Sure other places have had small bugs but at the moment the whole experience is terrible!

Sure i understand running a forum and database the size of Neowin is not a walk in the park and most of the problems lie with IPB , maybe the adage newer is not always better applies here...

I really hope the next update to the neowin site is a swift major kick to the IPB butt and a move to something else, be it in house or semi in house. 

The quality and indifference to users that IPB is showing shows it's not a software to be trusted and it obviously isn't designed to handle large forums like this. 

If switching means losing old archived content, then so be it. do your best to make a converter to whatever platform you switch to, but for the sake of users, developers and everyone, SWITCH! and when switching chose a platform that doesn't rely on every page being a damn script and breaking basic standard web navigation. I don't know what software RCGroups uses, but it's forum dwarfs the size of this by an order of magnitude. and they thankfully still use plain unique page loads for the forum pages, and it's blazing fast and handles the size extremely well and rarely has downtime.  For them the content is more important than looking fancy  and having all the latest web 2.0 trends powering their board, instead you focus on what's the purpose of a forum, presenting and sharing information and discussing things.  

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

It may not impact usability but it impacts the impression of a site.

I have a day job too but am willing to help out. Sounds like you guys need some extra hands. Sorry if I seem impatient, but unlike other people who have been posting here, all I get in feedback is "seems fine here". or nothing at all. There is literally no acknowledgement to the bug reports I am giving. Kinda feeling ignored. This particular bug with the duplicated forums in the navigation was posted before and not once did anyone post back past, "you must be cached". Well I've tried it amongst many devices, and it is not a cache issue. Can you guys at least acknowledge the issues being reported so we don't feel like we are being ignored?

As for priorities, I hope this one is number 1:

Unless you want to lose the forum to hackers. While the redirect on the second login *cough* is SSL, the form POST is not, and passwords are sent as plain text.

Our number one priority is currently the issue where posts sometimes double up and post twice, which seems to happen mainly when quoting other posts. This is impacting experience for users across the site, and also affecting comments made on front page news stories. This is way more important than a link appearing twice in a menu.

The SSL issue will be fixed, as I said before, but isn't our top priority. Until very recently we didn't even support SSL at all. If you use the same password for Neowin as for your online banking, then to be frank, that's a bad decision on your part, not our fault.