Networked visited by University of Michigan

55??  Dude pool is $15, scanner is $15..  and Could is $30 if you have already bought something from them - see at the bottom existing customers, put in one of your activation codes and you get all discounted prices

discount.thumb.png.0f9ff8f9f877e1d3e96e6

if you don't like cloud then don't buy it it for your other machines - but you can pick up pool or scanner for $15 for another machine.  I have pool/scanner on my server and just scanner on my desktop.

As to version I have the current 2.2.0.651 Beta of the pool.  You need to click into the pool options under the Pie chart...

As to "I have the Amazon Cloud Service, which I can't use with it."  And what is that exactly?  They clearly state they support Amazon Cloud Drive and S3...

What does garage space and broken into have to do with space???  Next time maybe they will sill your server?

7 hours ago, Jared- said:

You don't have a ridiculous amount of space....

For a home network, I think 30TB or so is pretty ridiculous. Most users won't even use 2TB of space.

Also, when websites fail to load; it says "DNS_PROBE_FAILED", dunno if that helps anymore.

what says "DNS_PROBE_FAILED" your browser?  What browser? What are you using for dns??  Your router?  Maybe its overloaded doing dns.. Did you sniff to see what your 100KB(b) was?

When you get this error did you do a dns query with nslookup or dig or drill or host or whatever your fav dns tool is?

18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

what says "DNS_PROBE_FAILED" your browser?  What browser? What are you using for dns??  Your router?  Maybe its overloaded doing dns.. Did you sniff to see what your 100KB(b) was?

When you get this error did you do a dns query with nslookup or dig or drill or host or whatever your fav dns tool is?

I'm using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for my DNS on the router. Should I not use them?

Chrome is the browser I use for nearly everything, FireFox if it requires Java, and if FF doesn't work, I use Edge *shudders*

I haven't had the time to sniff, I got home late from work last night, I'll try those commands tonight or tomorrow when I'm at work. Need to re-setup RDC, for some reason all my computers don't respond to it.

those are what you use on the router, but your client points to your router?  And your router forwards to those. The dns in many off the shelf routers suck ass to use the technical term ;)  They have limited resources in both memory and cpu and if they get asked a lot, they choke on it.. p2p clients can do a ###### load of queries.  Your ftp server might be doing a PTR for every IP hitting it..  Many other services are doing queries, etc..

So when it gets overwhelmed it fails to return anything to your client asking to go to www.domain.tld, so your browser chokes and gives you errors.

If your having issues with resolving, from a cmd line try asking your router, then try asking something outside your router like your 8.8.8.8 or do a direct query to the authoritative server for that domain, which you can find via whois or if dns is somewhat working via a NS query for the domain, then query those directly.

20 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Yeah, I knew i'd eventually be port scanned, however I wasn't expecting to be hit from tons of addresses. Since I posted this, I've had nearly 100 hits from different IPs, the Michigan one has hit me, even though I blocked the parent /16 address, including the two it lists on its site. BudMan and I are discussing firewall options, as well as a switch upgrade.

Not surprising TBH, there are a buttload of people doing it. Never underestimate the determination of basement dwelling script kiddies looking to fill their time with mindless vandalism xD

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

those are what you use on the router, but your client points to your router?  And your router forwards to those. The dns in many off the shelf routers suck ass to use the technical term ;)  They have limited resources in both memory and cpu and if they get asked a lot, they choke on it.. p2p clients can do a ###### load of queries.  Your ftp server might be doing a PTR for every IP hitting it..  Many other services are doing queries, etc..

So when it gets overwhelmed it fails to return anything to your client asking to go to www.domain.tld, so your browser chokes and gives you errors.

If your having issues with resolving, from a cmd line try asking your router, then try asking something outside your router like your 8.8.8.8 or do a direct query to the authoritative server for that domain, which you can find via whois or if dns is somewhat working via a NS query for the domain, then query those directly.

Hmm.. I have Sonarr, PLEX, and Deluge installed, those are the only apps connecting to the outside world, Sonarr is localhost only. PLEX is only used locally, but I do have it setup for streaming outside, just for myself.

37 minutes ago, Javik said:

Not surprising TBH, there are a buttload of people doing it. Never underestimate the determination of basement dwelling script kiddies looking to fill their time with mindless vandalism xD

Very true. 

Also, I have 1 Year sub to Amazon Cloud Services. I can't find the information needed for the Amazon S3 deal. Looks like it may not be supported. It says it is, but i can't seem to find the access key and all that.

No worries though, I could get the program they have setup, to run everytime something new is added to J:/

4 hours ago, Javik said:

You do realise that the scanning is probably  happening on already compromised machine, right? It's not like someone is sitting there watching.... 

If you've got other machines not working as expected on your network, I suspect you've got something configured incorrectly. 

1 hour ago, Jared- said:

You do realise that the scanning is probably  happening on already compromised machine, right? It's not like someone is sitting there watching.... 

If you've got other machines not working as expected on your network, I suspect you've got something configured incorrectly. 

Mm.. Just my main desktop, I can double check with my laptop too..

I'll do the DNS Check as well, if I can remember the damn commands.

Edited by BinaryData

Well.. Looks like my router IS doing DNS. It lists 192.168.1.1 as the DNS, yet the router has 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 listed for DNS? I hate networking, it hurts my brain too much.

If there are specific commands I need to run to get you useful information, let me know. 

"I hate networking, it hurts my brain too much."

Your in the wrong field of study then... ;)

Dude your router is running a name server, forwarding caching name server to be more correct..  Your desktop asks it hey what is the IP for www.neowin.net, your router ns app that is running looks in its cache, nope no record there - let me ask the servers I was setup to forward too.. googledns in your example..  Your routers ns software sends a query to googledns and asks hey what is the A record for www.neowin.net..  Google then has that cached or it would then forward or resolve it and send your router back its answer..  Which then your router would return to your desktop, all normally with in a few ms..   Your router would then cache this entry for the life of its TTL (time to live) and the next time your client or some other box on your network asks your router for www.neowin.net it would have to forward it.. it would have it in its cache and return it very quickly.

Now when your network for whatever reason is sending lots and lots of queries to your router, it sometimes gets overwhelmed and barfs and now nothing going to be able to resolve because you all ask the router for where you want to go..  Now your desktop once it asks for www.neowin.net and got an answer it will cache that locally for the life of the ttl that you got from your router, that was whatever the ttl was on it when your router looked it up from google.  So your client doesn't have to ask for it again until that expires..   So you might not notice if your dns on your router takes up dump, if it comes back up quick enough, etc.  Unless your trying to look up something new while its down.

So while you could have 10ge up and down for a pipe, if your not able to resolve anything because the name server you ask is down, then your 10ge is pretty much useless..

As to commands already listed quite a few of them.. Which dns tool do you like best, what OS are you using to troubleshoot? 

Simple nslookup

D:\>nslookup www.cnn.com
Server:  pfSense.local.lan
Address:  192.168.9.253

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    turner.map.fastly.net
Address:  23.235.44.73
Aliases:  www.cnn.com

See how it came back as non-authoritative.. That is telling you it was from cache.. but with little else for info other than you see it got that info from my pfsense.

Now dig on the other hand give you WAY more info in the query.

digquery.thumb.png.6207181cd44488cde78a4

You can see what the actual ttl is left for those records, it also returned the actual authoritative NS for the record looked up.  Shows you how long my server took to respond, size of the total query, timestamp.  etc.. etc..  The dig tool provides way more info than your simple nslooup.  And is a much more rounded tool for troubleshooting dns with.   But without understanding basic concepts of how dns works - then its all just magic and could give you all the cmds in the world not going to help you find your problem if you don't actually understand what your doing or what the results tell you.

As to your amazon services..  You mean AWS console login??  As you can see they have lots of services - that are different then their home user products..

aws.thumb.png.27387f8149bc4e67fe5965e8ee

What exactly do you have a subscription too??  You do understand that amazon has many different products for storage..  See the box I highlighted above, I use glacier that is not S3 either..

glacier.thumb.png.0d9056f87621a91944c6d1

While I don't have anything setup in S3

S3.thumb.png.a42d737755b2143fbec15f82652

This is completely different than what you would get with your prime membership..  So what is it you exactly have access to for storage from amazon??  And I will download the trial of the cloud pool from stablebit and take a looky see to how to connect..

This is the cloud drive they support

clouddrive.thumb.png.f623bf0c0895406bfc5

This is the free photo one you get with prime, but if you want to store more stuff then you need subscription for that.

clouddrivestorage.thumb.png.0b7cf5147a00

Ok, so I'm trying to use the Amazon Cloud Drive. It asks for Access Key, would that just be my normal password? Figured it out, Google was unhelpful, however I did notice StableBit has a forums, haha. An older topic resolved my problem. You have to enable experimental files. I'm wondering if Amazon will like me uploading 9TB of data. :p

I created a 10TB Cloud Drive, with a 1GB Cache size. This is kind of nifty, actually. 

You have to click on the Cog Wheel -> Troubleshooting -> Enable Experimental Drives.

So, this is what I'm getting for my DNS.

Screenshot_2016-02-06-10-06-35.thumb.png

Forgive me, I'm on my phone because my work won't allow RDC Programs. I screwed up my RDC when I re-installed Windows. So, this is what I'm stuck with using.

I'll try more stuff later. TeamViewer is being stupid on my phone.

so your client is pointing to more than 1 dns?  And 1 is not answering and 192.168.1.1 is not answering either..  And you don't have any reverse zone setup for 192.168.1.0/24 or since its down it is not resolving that. See how pfsense.local.lan is what it shows for my dns IP.

C:\>dig -x 192.168.9.253                                                     

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P2 <<>> -x 192.168.9.253                                   
;; global options: +cmd                                                      
;; Got answer:                                                               
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54889                    
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1      

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:                                                        
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096                                        
;; QUESTION SECTION:                                                         
;253.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa.    IN      PTR                                  

;; ANSWER SECTION:                                                           
253.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN     PTR     pfSense.local.lan.           

;; Query time: 0 msec                                                        
;; SERVER: 192.168.9.253#53(192.168.9.253)                                   
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 06 16:34:02 Central Standard Time 2016                      
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 86

From what you posted your internet would be pretty much useless because you can not resolve anything.. What does you client have for dns?  Pointing to dns that doesn't have the same info is pointless..  Your local dns 192.168.1.1 should have all your local records, that say googledns is not going to have a clue about so if you want to resolve local stuff then all you should point to is your local dns.

Do a directed query to say google dns 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or opendns or 4.2.2.2 always seems to answer - run by level3

C:\>dig @4.2.2.2 www.cnn.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P2 <<>> @4.2.2.2 www.cnn.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 3381
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.cnn.com.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.cnn.com.            158     IN      CNAME   turner.map.fastly.net.
turner.map.fastly.net.  21      IN      A       23.235.40.73

;; Query time: 18 msec
;; SERVER: 4.2.2.2#53(4.2.2.2)
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 06 16:38:33 Central Standard Time 2016
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

or

C:\>nslookup
Default Server:  pfSense.local.lan
Address:  192.168.9.253

> server 4.2.2.2
Default Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2

> www.cnn.com
Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    turner.map.fastly.net
Address:  23.235.39.73
Aliases:  www.cnn.com

When I just do "dig", this is what I get (I'm retarded, ignore that, thought I typed my IP in, took a picture of the wrong one). Above it, is my dig on google.

Screenshot_2016-02-06-15-42-21.thumb.png

Edited by BinaryData

TL;DR You've been dicking around with your network and it's configured incorrectly. Factory reset your stuff and start again. 

All the jargon above is only going to confuse you more. 

4 minutes ago, Jared- said:

TL;DR You've been dicking around with your network and it's configured incorrectly. Factory reset your stuff and start again. 

Nope. The only thing I've changed in the last 2 weeks is ports. One of our Network Admins suggested I might be breaking the NAT Tables with having so many ports open.

"I might be breaking the NAT Tables with having so many ports open."

What??  Do you have like 1000's of them open?  10s of thousands?  You do understand that the state table of your router handles every session.  Forwarding a few freaking ports is not going to put any extra load on anything..

So you did a directed query in the first one... Why did you do a query against ns1.google.com ??that is what 216.239.32.10 PTR says it is??

And your second one - yeah doing an empty query to your dns should return the root servers..

6 hours ago, Jared- said:

You've already re-installed Windows on your new box? Wow. 

You've got a configuration error somewhere, I'd start with your router.

Edited by Jared-

6 hours ago, BinaryData said:

Nope. The only thing I've changed in the last 2 weeks is ports. One of our Network Admins suggested I might be breaking the NAT Tables with having so many ports open.

lol, What?! :wacko::huh:

So Its 730 am in the morning here, I am not really doing anything on the net yet.  Just reading some stuff, wife is sleeping.  Nobody else here.. And currently 199 states open on my firewall. Its current size setting is 201000 of them.. So this is normally about 10% of the Ram on the firewall..  I have 2GB assigned to the VM so that makes sense.  Would depend exactly what firewall your running.  Every connection is going to normally have 2 states per connection..  So Currently I could have about 100,000 connections open before I would start to see trouble..

states.thumb.png.93294bc9db88fea51a63c1a

But you running a ftp server killed your router because of states??  I find that really really unlikely unless your got some real POS router??

There are some cheap off the shelf routers that could choke on a p2p connection... You running p2p as well?? Which can ramp up the number of connections for sure..  What is your router??  Here is a chart of number of connections of different off the shelf routers tested..

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/77-max-simul-conn

If you scroll way down there are some that have like 4096 connection limit...  You could prob eat that up with a couple of torrents running for sure..  But the many of them are over the 40K connections, which you would think would be more than plenty for any home sort of connection..  Can you even view how many your router has in its state table?

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

"I might be breaking the NAT Tables with having so many ports open."

What??  Do you have like 1000's of them open?  10s of thousands?  You do understand that the state table of your router handles every session.  Forwarding a few freaking ports is not going to put any extra load on anything..

So you did a directed query in the first one... Why did you do a query against ns1.google.com ??that is what 216.239.32.10 PTR says it is??

And your second one - yeah doing an empty query to your dns should return the root servers..

Well, the FTP in passive mode wouldn't take anything less than 1,000 ports. I could've configured it wrong, but I had 50,000 - 51,000 open specifically for that. I've disabled it, nothing changed from that.

Like I've stated before, I really don't know what I'm doing. I've never had a problem like this before.

Here are my open ports:

open_ports.thumb.png.2e0cca6cfcda01ff25e

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

So Its 730 am in the morning here, I am not really doing anything on the net yet.  Just reading some stuff, wife is sleeping.  Nobody else here.. And currently 199 states open on my firewall. Its current size setting is 201000 of them.. So this is normally about 10% of the Ram on the firewall..  I have 2GB assigned to the VM so that makes sense.  Would depend exactly what firewall your running.  Every connection is going to normally have 2 states per connection..  So Currently I could have about 100,000 connections open before I would start to see trouble..

states.thumb.png.93294bc9db88fea51a63c1a

But you running a ftp server killed your router because of states??  I find that really really unlikely unless your got some real POS router??

There are some cheap off the shelf routers that could choke on a p2p connection... You running p2p as well?? Which can ramp up the number of connections for sure..  What is your router??  Here is a chart of number of connections of different off the shelf routers tested..

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/77-max-simul-conn

If you scroll way down there are some that have like 4096 connection limit...  You could prob eat that up with a couple of torrents running for sure..  But the many of them are over the 40K connections, which you would think would be more than plenty for any home sort of connection..  Can you even view how many your router has in its state table?

My router is this one; TP-Link N750

7 hours ago, Jared- said:

You've already re-installed Windows on your new box? Wow. 

You've got a configuration error somewhere, I'd start with your router.

Soon as I'm done port scanning my own IP, or if it cancels out, I'm going to change something. My DHCP page didn't have any DNS Servers listed. Which was originally there when I set it up.

C:\Users\BinaryData>nslookup
Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

> nslookup cnn.com
Server:  cnn.com
Addresses:  157.166.226.26

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to cnn.com timed-out

Ran it while it was having a hiccup.

Edit:

Never seen this "Toredo" before. Though, Google said this is a 6to4 tunneling, appears to be ok? Though, I'm not running IPv6 on anything, and I don't think our ISP is, but I could be wrong.

what_is_this.thumb.png.184e2910cbf97c810

Edited by BinaryData