Networked visited by University of Michigan

4 hours ago, BinaryData said:

It's better than some of the routers out there. Linksys is owned by some garbage company. Netgear's have always been crap for my family. I think I'll just pick up something SMB style.

I'm not doing anything. I've not messed with ANY network properties at all. As for UPnP, I think it came default that way.

I'll do that. Haha.

Edit: After setting it in the adapter settings, still the same issue. I give up. I'll just freaking live with it.

Right? I have an ancient TP-LINK, and it works great....but I run DDWRT on it, so that's probably why. Linksys was bought out by belkin, which is, in fact, garbage. Listen to BudMan. He'll teach you lots, like what to disable/enable, how to port forward to which addresses, etc....biggest one is how to NOT double NAT...but he knows WAY more about it than I do. He's a very wise man.....follow what he says, and you can't go wrong.

23 minutes ago, Jared- said:

.....He isn't doing anything wrong with his port forwards.

It's clearly a DNS issue, start by removing that Google crap from your router. 

What am I supposed to use then? :p

1 hour ago, Jared- said:

Reset your router and the router get them automatically?

If that's the question, couldn't I just remove them now, reboot the router and see if that works?

Well, I removed the Google DNS, however it requires a secondary DNS, so it added 8.8.8.8 back. I'm using my ISPs DNS Server now. I'll test it tonight, if it doesn't work, I'll reset tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Jared- said:

Yeah that could work.

I'm still getting a bit of lag when doing some operations. BIt of a stutter lag. I'm going to probably end up nuking the router over night.

So get that firewall you were thinking of getting.. And be done with your typical off the shelf routers..  Or just run dns on one of your own boxes?  Nothing saying the dns has to be your router.

Bind takes all of a few minutes to download and setup on linux or windows.  Unbound is another one, dnsmasq yet another.. Tiny dns.. Powerdns, etc. etc. etc..  Do you have a windows server os running - it has built in..  Or you could grab tftpd that can do dns plus dhcp few other things.  http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

You then have your dns whichever you are using just be caching forwarder or resolver.. Or actually be authoritative for some local zone you setup.  Tell you what if you really want to get into IT/Networking understanding dns is something you really should understand!!

10 hours ago, Jared- said:

.....He isn't doing anything wrong with his port forwards.

It's clearly a DNS issue, start by removing that Google crap from your router. 

I have had more issues with the ISP dns than the "google crap".  Another alternative is the opendns.  I haven't ran the ISP crap on my routers since they decided to go down at random times between 2004-2007.  It may be stable now, but I wouldnt know..when I had customers that I dealt with on a constant basis simply moving them off of the ISP crap made their internet connection stable...I still refuse to use the ISP crap to this day and would rather rely on "Opendns crap" or "google crap" than "up and down ISP crap" (the "up and down ISP crap" is also known as crapcast or comcrap with their "It's craptastic" slogan) .

or just run your own resolver and don't worry about forwarding to any sort of crappy name server - get your information direct from the authoritative servers for what ever domain your looking up.  Now there are some of those that are crap as well ;)  And if they are on the other side of the planet might take a bit to resolve vs just looking it up in some cache from one of the dns providers.

Back a few years comcast use to have really bad dns, but they went anycast and while I don't use them on a reg basis.. When I have queried them they do answer.

There are plenty of lists of public dns you could use if you don't like google or open or your isp and running a real resolver is too much trouble for you.  Level 3 has some - 4.2.2.2 has always been very reliable ;)

3 hours ago, sc302 said:

I have had more issues with the ISP dns than the "google crap".  Another alternative is the opendns.  I haven't ran the ISP crap on my routers since they decided to go down at random times between 2004-2007.  It may be stable now, but I wouldnt know..when I had customers that I dealt with on a constant basis simply moving them off of the ISP crap made their internet connection stable...I still refuse to use the ISP crap to this day and would rather rely on "Opendns crap" or "google crap" than "up and down ISP crap" (the "up and down ISP crap" is also known as crapcast or comcrap with their "It's craptastic" slogan) .

I had the same problem years ago. A local company was our isp, and they were going down at least twice a week for hours. Then I switched to Google, and till this last week, have had no problem.

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

or just run your own resolver and don't worry about forwarding to any sort of crappy name server - get your information direct from the authoritative servers for what ever domain your looking up.  Now there are some of those that are crap as well ;)  And if they are on the other side of the planet might take a bit to resolve vs just looking it up in some cache from one of the dns providers.

Back a few years comcast use to have really bad dns, but they went anycast and while I don't use them on a reg basis.. When I have queried them they do answer.

There are plenty of lists of public dns you could use if you don't like google or open or your isp and running a real resolver is too much trouble for you.  Level 3 has some - 4.2.2.2 has always been very reliable ;)

Well, even after switching to my ISPs DNS servers, I'm still having problems. I'm thinking it might be a local problem. Jared may be right, however it might not be the router but a configuration on both my PCs. I'm tempted to just nuke both PCs, and the router and start fresh. But that's more work than I want.

Just now, sc302 said:

start with the router, it is the easiest.

Yup. That's the plan. I'm going to use opendns as well to start with, or Level 3. Just to see if it's actually something wrong with Google DNS or not. It's unlikely, but why not confirm it?

yep, no harm in trying to see if there is an issue with them. 

FWIW, in my 500+ user environment there are no issues with google dns.  I do think you have some sort of onsite network issue (computers and/or equipment) that is causing you issues. 

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

yep, no harm in trying to see if there is an issue with them. 

FWIW, in my 500+ user environment there are no issues with google dns.  I do think you have some sort of onsite network issue (computers and/or equipment) that is causing you issues. 

Yeah. What I also find strange is, when I'm downloading from my seedbox, I don't lose connectivity when the dns issue pops up. It keeps downloading like nothing happened. I'm going to nuke the router soon as my 30GB of files are done.

it could be another computer on your lan causing dns issues.  look for a super chatty computer.  would need either a hub between your router and your switch or a router or switch that supports mirrored port and use that in conjunction with wireshark.

23 minutes ago, sc302 said:

it could be another computer on your lan causing dns issues.  look for a super chatty computer.  would need either a hub between your router and your switch or a router or switch that supports mirrored port and use that in conjunction with wireshark.

Yeah, I don't have any spare ones. We chucked all our old equipment, I do have my WRT54G Wireless router, however, it doesn't work well xD

sometimes it is good to keep somethings around, you never know what you could use it for later.   That router is a switch...not a hub, it won't work.

Unfortunately, to pick up a hub it is over 100 from what I have seen.  The only real purpose for one is to packet sniff and sellers know that.  You can pick up switches dirt cheap, but a hub...amazon has them for over 100. 

Edit: it is used, it is dirty, but for 9 bux it might be worth picking up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-24-Port-10-100Mbps-Dual-Speed-Stackable-Hub-DS524-/161951038471?hash=item25b508bc07:g:LqkAAOSwZ1lWcvVx

Remember, the only purpose for this is to packet sniff.  It has no other purpose, do not use this on your network for anything else...it can and will slow things down.

5 minutes ago, sc302 said:

sometimes it is good to keep somethings around, you never know what you could use it for later.   That router is a switch...not a hub, it won't work.

Unfortunately, to pick up a hub it is over 100 from what I have seen.  The only real purpose for one is to packet sniff and sellers know that.  You can pick up switches dirt cheap, but a hub...amazon has them for over 100. 

Edit: it is used, it is dirty, but for 9 bux it might be worth picking up

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Netgear-24-Port-10-100Mbps-Dual-Speed-Stackable-Hub-DS524-/161951038471?hash=item25b508bc07:g:LqkAAOSwZ1lWcvVx

Remember, the only purpose for this is to packet sniff.  It has no other purpose, do not use this on your network for anything else...it can and will slow things down.

Yeah, i'll put it in my rack. I've been talking with BudMan about Firewalls and switch setups.