Networked visited by University of Michigan

Just now, Jared- said:

Right, resetting the router should've been done a week ago.

Sorry, life is busy this month. Between tax season, personal life, and school. I barely have time to do anything fun, let alone tinker.

Nuked the router. I'm setting up everything slowly. 

Did a reset to default settings. Within about 5 minutes from doing it "DNS_PROBE_FAILED" popped up in Google.

So far this is what I've done.

- Disabled IPv6

- Reset Router to Default settings

- Changed DNS Servers

Also, BudMan asked me in PM, if I could ping my gateway when it was happening, answer is no. It failed. I'm assuming the router is going up in flames.

Also, I figured this out because Netflix died, mobile devices suffered from it. So, it's looking like my router is dying.

when you say you can not ping your gateway do you mean your router???  192.168.1.1 or your ISP??  you need to try and ping both... if you can ping your router but not your isp it could be your isp just down..  If you can not ping your router then pretty much its toast..   Or you have something wrong with your machine.  Can you ping other stuff on your network - if so then your machine is fine..

its a tp-link right... You could put dd-wrt on it most likely.  That firmware is way better than the native ######...

5 hours ago, BudMan said:

when you say you can not ping your gateway do you mean your router???  192.168.1.1 or your ISP??  you need to try and ping both... if you can ping your router but not your isp it could be your isp just down..  If you can not ping your router then pretty much its toast..   Or you have something wrong with your machine.  Can you ping other stuff on your network - if so then your machine is fine..

its a tp-link right... You could put dd-wrt on it most likely.  That firmware is way better than the native ######...

Well.. I probably will, but I do need to change the gear anyways. I'm giving this router to my mom for her new apartment. 

I did what you suggested in your PM, Ping my DG and a website. This is the results;

C:\Users\BinaryData>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.100: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),

C:\Users\BinaryData>ping www.cnn.com
Ping request could not find host www.cnn.com. Please check the name and try again.

When I ping my ISPs DG for my IP, it fails 3x then 4th one it responds.

well here is the thing if you can not talk to your gateway, your not going to be able to find the IP for www.cnn.com so that test just shows that yeah you can not talk to your gateway.

When you can not talk to your router IP, can you ping other devices on your network?  which also could be just an issue with that router still if your all connected into its lan ports for your switching.

So, its really like a 10 min fix to just upgrade the router to dd-wrt and see if this makes this problem go away.  you can always still give it away once you get in the new setup.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

well here is the thing if you can not talk to your gateway, your not going to be able to find the IP for www.cnn.com so that test just shows that yeah you can not talk to your gateway.

When you can not talk to your router IP, can you ping other devices on your network?  which also could be just an issue with that router still if your all connected into its lan ports for your switching.

So, its really like a 10 min fix to just upgrade the router to dd-wrt and see if this makes this problem go away.  you can always still give it away once you get in the new setup.

So, dd-wrt it is. What are the chances of screwing it up to the point of it no longer working? :p

Normal person pretty freaking low like 1 in a 1000... You prob more like 1 in 10 ;) heheheh j/k its pretty freaking straight forward... Most devices it just simple upload of the new firmware using the current firmwares upgrade web ui..  What is the exact model of this tp-link and will look up the dd-wrt instructions.

here you go

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP-Link_TL-WDR4300#How_to_Flash

How to Flash

Download factory-to-ddwrt.bin and tl-wdr4300-webflash.bin from the router database.
    Optional: Download tl-wdr4300v1-webrevert.rar in case you need to restore to stock firmware.
    Remove Ethernet cable from the WAN port on the router.
    Perform a 30/30/30 reset.
    Using Internet Explorer and a PC connected via Ethernet, flash factory_to_dd-wrt.bin using the web interface.
    Confirm the router has rebooted by visiting http://192.168.1.1
    Perform a 30/30/30 reset.
    Visit http://192.168.1.1 and flash the tl-wdr4300-webflash.bin file.
    After the router has finished rebooting, do another 30/30/30 reset.
    Plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN port, and visit http://192.168.1.1 to setup your preferences.

Any monkey could do that in like 5 minutes with ZERO change of FU...

Then here are links to the lastest and greatest versions

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/02-15-2016-r29085/tplink_tl-wdr4300v1/

no difference, i did a friends archer c7 a few weeks ago, i believe the factory typlink defaults to 0.1, but once you ddwrt it will be 1.1 at least that is what i remember

Edited by Circaflex

Dude I have done this hundreds of times...  Only an issue once when I had too many beers ;)  And flashed the wrong version to the router... But was able to recover it..

But clearly its spelled out for you the correct files to grab... If it didn't work pretty sure there would be comments all over that wiki article, etc.

And you don't really have to do the 30/30/30 I rarely did that and didn't have any issues.. Doesn't matter what your router defaults too, once its on dd-wrt it will default to 192.168.1.1

edit: you flashing a tp-link reminds I should prob update the one I have sitting on my junk pile that I bring with me when might need a router, etc..

Yea I didn't do the who 30/30/30 either but the router was new. I think in your case bd maybe just one factory reset would be fine, the directions look like they mentioned doing it two or three times. 

yeah the official stance is full reset, upgrade to dd-wrt, full reset... Any time you update to newer version of dd-wrt, full reset before and after..  I have never once done it so many times, sometimes never and have not had issues.

But it sure doesn't hurt to do it that way.  And that your sure its clean install with nothing hanging over in nvram, etc.

This really is a 5 min process, you should of done it long ago when it was first suggested in the beginning of this thread.  In all the times I have done this I have never seen a router be less stable after going to dd-wrt than the native..  i have a tp-link 3600.. And the native firmware was on it all of 5 minutes... Booted it, checked it out - could tell it was crap... Loaded dd-wrt before ever got put into actual use.

You have to really F it up to brick the things.. Even if you install the wrong version, you can quite often recover them...  When I did it when I was drunk, just used the paperclip trick to short 2 pins on a cheap and got the correct firmware loaded.. Common mistake made even when doing native firmware upgrades is users try and upgrade via wireless - that is ALWAYS bad idea!!!  Connect with a wire to the router and your fine.

Keep in mind Circaflex, we are talking about BD... If anyone can mess it up - he can ;)  But like I said even when I was 13 sheets to the wind and installed the WRONG firmware...  I was able to recover it, while even more booze in me..  So it really quite difficult to brick them...

So are you done yet? You stated you were going to do it 3 hours ago ;)

Without WAN incoming, router refuses my connection. I've manually set my ip, subnet and dg, nothing. It refuses to connect. Can I install it with the Wan cable plugged in? 

Starting to get ######.

Wait what? If you are still on the stock firmware, do the hard reset to clear any crud that was setup during this mess. Plug ethernet cable into a laptop and into the router, login, flash the ddwrt firmware. Thats all. You can definitely connect to a router via hardwire without the router having a wan cable plugged in, that is how i did the archer c7. I dont see why you couldnt leave the wan cable connected, shouldnt be a problem, but I am sure @BudMancan chime in for that.

6 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Wait what? If you are still on the stock firmware, do the hard reset to clear any crud that was setup during this mess. Plug ethernet cable into a laptop and into the router, login, flash the ddwrt firmware. Thats all. You can definitely connect to a router via hardwire without the router having a wan cable plugged in, that is how i did the archer c7.

Except it doesnt. I've done it before but it won't let me. Now I can't get Internet back. Ffs....

I'm done screwing around with this. I did the hard reset like it said too. Apparently i bought a pos router. I'll stick with this junk until Friday and buy my firewall, switch, and wap then.  This is more than a 5 minute process, BudMan. I don't screw around with modding things or doing things like this. I've never installed ddwrt before, and clearly I'm about as useful as USB1 is fast.

You can't be afraid to break stuff.  That is all part of learning in this field.  If I were afraid to break stuff, I would never leave the house. 

broken snow shovel, check...shoes fell apart, check....lost a few lugnuts, check....borked a rds server gateway, check....

crap happens, sometimes it happens all at once.  When it does happen, regardless of how much it cost you, you work through it.    If you give up or don't want to play with it until it works, this is not the field for you. 

Patience and being able to work through the issue (no matter how major or small it is) is what is needed in this field. 

Do you think I give up when a server decides that it doesn't want to power on...and the entire multimillion dollar company is relying on this server to be up to be able to cash checks (banking check processing server, there was only one), did you think I said f it, it is broke?  No I worked through the issue, regardless of how stupid the "fix" was  (powering on and off the system for about 7 hours, and yes it did eventually power on with me just hitting the power button until 4 am).  I never gave up on that crap box. 

Rule one: take your time.  It takes as long as it does to get it right. 

Rule two: don't get frustrated.  Leave and come back if you are burnt out.  It may come to you in 30 seconds after you have had some sleep.

I'm not afraid to break things, not at all. But if this does break, I'm without internet for the next week, I don't have the cash to replace it right now, spent a little too much on my new TV, lol. I'd prefer to have a back up in case this didn't work.

What I did was..

1. Unplugged wan.

2. Performed 30/30/30

3. Attempted to go to 192.168.0.1 (didn't work)

4. Set my IP to 192.168.0.100 (defaults to 100 - 199)

5. Set my subnet to 255.255.255.0 (default)

6. Set my dg to 192.168.0.1

7. Set my dg to nothing

Still didn't work. Tried everything I knew, even went back to the manual to try and figure it out. Googled a bunch of different things, and nothing. None of my PCs could access it, I was getting a 169 Address..

Edit:

Do I absolutely HAVE to remove the WAN connection?

you can go to the store and pick up a router for 20 bux if needed.  I know I have a staples, walmart, target, etc that I can pickup a cheapy router if needed (besides I do have a few laying around, but if I didn't there are options)

192.168.1.1?

don't forget to set your pc to 192.168.1.100 or something in that range.

just an example of said cheap router

http://www.staples.com/Comtrend-WR-5881-Wireless-4-Port-Router-10-100-MbPS-WL-N-RTR/product_IM1QM6706

5 minutes ago, sc302 said:

you can go to the store and pick up a router for 20 bux if needed.  I know I have a staples, walmart, target, etc that I can pickup a cheapy router if needed (besides I do have a few laying around, but if I didn't there are options)

192.168.1.1?

don't forget to set your pc to 192.168.1.100 or something in that range.

just an example of said cheap router

http://www.staples.com/Comtrend-WR-5881-Wireless-4-Port-Router-10-100-MbPS-WL-N-RTR/product_IM1QM6706

My router defaults to 192.168.0.1. I don't know why but apparently TP-Link wants to be special, and annoy people.

I set my IP to 192.168.0.100, and nothing. The connection wasn't made. I had no "internet".

Something sounds way off. Hard reset the router using the paperclip method (poke the reset button), plug into router via ethernet. At this point, you arent getting internet so just unplug the WAN cable just in case it was causing a problem, and profit. You dont need to set any ips, mess with the subnet, none of that. Just connect via a physical cable to the router and flash away.