Formula 1 World Championship 2017 Season Discussion

9 minutes ago, Frank B. said:

While it might look good, I actually liked the look of the black McLaren cars of the past couple of years. Plus, when they changed from Silver they were banging on about that being the biggest livery change in 25 years or something.

In other news....

Liberty shareholders approve F1 takeover

Liberty Media's shareholders have agreed to push ahead with its acquisition of Formula One, edging the U.S. media company closer to the completion of its takeover deal.

In a special meeting in Colorado, its shareholders agreed to issue new shares to fund the remainder of the acquisition and rename its media group as the Formula One Group. The meeting was the latest stage in the buyout that values the sport at $8.5 billion, with Liberty saying in a statement it still expects the acquisition to close in the first financial quarter of 2017.

Full Story

I'm hoping this brings about some big financial changes, a fairer distribution of prize funds, no extortionate fee's for tracks and I'd love to see them return to free TV or at least a more affordable streaming service.

I swear when I created that thread I didn't see that this had already been created, looked a good few times as well to be certain. Nevermind!

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that there are now no guarantees about his future in the sport, as Liberty Media's takeover nears completion

With Liberty's bid to take control of F1 expected to be completed by the end of this month, following approval of the plans by its shareholders and the FIA this week, there has been fresh doubt about Ecclestone's long-term position.

He had said last year when Liberty first got involved that he had been asked to stay on board for three years, but that has now been thrown into doubt.

More recently there has been speculation that Liberty is lining up former ESPN executive Sean Bratches as the man it wants to take control of marketing, sponsorship and media rights of F1, an area that Ecclestone has long controlled.

Speaking to the Press Association on Thursday, Ecclestone said that the decision on his future now rested with Liberty as they move to finalise what changes they want to make.

More: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-my-f1-future-now-in-liberty-s-hands-866879/

Maldonado hoped Rosberg shuffle would open up F1 chance

Pastor Maldonado had hopes that the Formula 1 driver market shuffle caused by Nico Rosberg's retirement would open up the chance for him to get back on the grid in 2017.

The Venezuelan, who was left without a drive after the 2015 season, has been considering his racing options for the year ahead.

As well as some discussions about an IndyCar move, he held talks with Sauber at the end of last year but could not reach an agreement.

However, he says that recently he had aspirations of getting an even more competitive F1 seat amid the movements caused by Mercedes needing to find a new teammate for Lewis Hamilton.

At least he didn't think he'd get the Merc seat, that would have been priceless.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/maldonado-hoped-rosberg-shuffle-would-open-up-f1-chance-867105/?s=1

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no words!

I can just imagine Sauber weighing up the money he would bring vs the cost of parts he'd inevitably destroy and just coming to the conclusion it wasn't financially viable.

Believe it or not, he's in talks to race in IndyCar this year, but apparently only the road races, he doesn't want to race on the ovals, so at least he's self-aware. :laugh:

• Like 2

Toto Wolff says promoting Pascal Wehrlein into a team where he would have to fight for the titles from the first grand prix could have been detrimental to his long-term career.

[...]

“He is fast and brilliant and he was always considered,” said the Mercedes motorsport boss.

“But he is in his development phase. He must be able to make mistakes and learn. And he could not have done that with us.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-explains-wehrlein-decision/

I think it's safe to say Toto made the right choice after what Wehrlein did at the Race of Champions last night...

3 hours ago, Frank B. said:

Aw that sucks :(

My only hope is with Liberty taking over they'll try and help new teams invest, most likely another US one, as we know they want to grow the market over there, and home teams and drivers always help.