Windows 10 Desktop?

I've been reading posts on here about lost desktops with some update to Windows 10.  I'm afraid I'm not exactly sure of the terminology, so my research didn't help much.  But I used to be able to left click the "start" button and what I call my desktop (a few icons like recycle bin, an icon for my printer - stuff I mostly don't touch) - so when I'd left click "start," my screen would show lots of icons or tiles for things like MS Outlook, a couple weather apps (or whatever they are!), Spider Solitaire, Store, Excel, Word, calculator, etc.).  So, maybe they're gone for good - as well as the function that allows you to swipe in from the right side of the screen and bring up settings and  such, I think.

I don't care that those things are gone or different, but where do I go to find things like "Excel" that I use fairly frequently?  The shopping icon is now on my taskbar now even though I almost never use it - unlike Excel.

If it's something with my computer though (Acer Aspire/M), I would appreciate someone letting me know so I can get my computer fixed.  By the way, I semi-tried a lot of the suggested things but generally ran into obstacles because my Windows 10 just doesn't have what the instructions said - like one talked about accessing settings by swiping in from the right - I no longer have that function.

Thanks so much and happy computering.