Hurricane Irma

Hello everyone,

I survived :-) but the last 24 hours haven't been fun, I'm thankful my power is back up and my house didn't suffer any damage, except our porch that partially flew away, but yeah it has been horrible.

All my whole family including the ones in Miami, Naples and Tampa are still without power

Thank you all who kept us on your prayers and had good wishes.

10 minutes ago, Ely said:

Hello everyone,

I survived :-) but the last 24 hours haven't been fun, I'm thankful my power is back up and my house didn't suffer any damage, except our porch that partially flew away, but yeah it has been horrible.

All my whole family including the ones in Miami, Naples and Tampa are still without power

Thank you all who kept us on your prayers and had good wishes.

Good to hear.  Glad your family is ok.  From what I have been reading, crews are hard at work getting power back as fast as they can.  But with what, 7.4 million without power, that may take a while.

Hello everyone, I am still here, the storm hit us late Sunday night and knocked out the power, which is still out, the cell networks were hit as well, but they have since recovered. We made it though with no damage. When the power is restored I will post pictures of the area.

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Hello everyone, I am still here, the storm hit us late Sunday night and knocked out the power, which is still out, 

Survival tip: home standby generator. We've used ours three times  this summer, and winter is it's "busy season." 

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Hello everyone, I am still here, the storm hit us late Sunday night and knocked out the power, which is still out, the cell networks were hit as well, but they have since recovered. We made it though with no damage. When the power is restored I will post pictures of the area.

(Y) good to hear!

We're fine here. Have some damage to our vinyl fence but the screen enclosure made it out without a scratch.

3 minutes ago, DocM said:

Survival tip: home standby generator. We've used ours three times  this summer, and winter is it's "busy season." 

I've thought about that but those are bolted to a concrete slab, right? Any amount of flooding will render that investment useless.

9 minutes ago, DocM said:

Was a story where a woman when to get a generation for her father who was on oxygen and she was afraid of the power going out.  She was next in line to get one but the guy in front of her got the last one.  She broke down and without informing the guy about her problems, he gave her  the generator.  The store got more generators and called the guy up and gave him a free one for what he did.

5 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

We're fine here. Have some damage to our vinyl fence but the screen enclosure made it out without a scratch.

I've thought about that but those are bolted to a concrete slab, right? Any amount of flooding will render that investment useless.

That was the Fukushima approach, and why they lost power to their cooling system.

We faced this at the wifes aunt's cottage up north, which is on the shore of Lake Huron. Trust me - the Great Lakes get storm surges where the Witch of November is large and in charge. For Huron, it's Noreasters.

The solution to flooding generators, both of Fukushima, up north beach homes, and likely at your house would be to mount the generator at a higher elevation than the house's ground level such as on a mound, stilts or pylons. Higher than the first floor would of course be silly because you'd be gone before it flooded.

We put the wife's aunt's  on a platform supported by four foot pyons. Ours is on pylons which put it level with our rear deck.

Edited by DocM

Florida looting crackdown is 'white supremacy,' claims author Sarah Jaffe

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/12/florida-looting-crackdown-is-white-supremacy-claims-author-sarah-jaffe.html

????

Stealing food/water from stores in a crisis is one thing, but taking advantage of a situation like this and steal/robbing things from people's homes other than food is inhuman.

More than 50 arrested for looting in Miami during Irma: police

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-irma-looting/more-than-50-arrested-for-looting-in-miami-during-irma-police-idUSKCN1BN2RA

Surprised it wasnt more.

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/12/florida-looting-crackdown-is-white-supremacy-claims-author-sarah-jaffe.html

????

We're finally at the point where it seems these words have zero weight to them anymore. People just throw them out at a moment's notice to describe anything and everything. It's pretty sad.

Hurricane Irma refugees call out Disney World resort for price gouging food and drinks

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/09/12/hurricane-irma-refugees-call-out-disney-world-resort-for-price-gouging-food-and-drinks.html

Disney should not have charge anything.  They should have given away food/water for free like so many other people/organizations are doing.

16 hours ago, techbeck said:

????

Stealing food/water from stores in a crisis is one thing, but taking advantage of a situation like this and steal/robbing things from people's homes other than food is inhuman.

More than 50 arrested for looting in Miami during Irma: police

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-irma-looting/more-than-50-arrested-for-looting-in-miami-during-irma-police-idUSKCN1BN2RA

Surprised it wasnt more.

All looters should be shot on sight, martial law style.  Scumbags.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:20 AM, techbeck said:

Was a story where a woman when to get a generation for her father who was on oxygen and she was afraid of the power going out.  She was next in line to get one but the guy in front of her got the last one.  She broke down and without informing the guy about her problems, he gave her  the generator.  The store got more generators and called the guy up and gave him a free one for what he did.

Saw that - very touching.

With me being the natural skeptic, when I first heard about it - I was thinking "I hate facebook" - till I saw the vid.  Those tears and empathy were not rehearsed.

Its nice the positive stuff makes its way to the masses.  As opposed to the BS the media usually sinks its teeth into.

I was really proud of all the positive press Texans were getting in regards to Houston.  

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The first piece of looting footage I saw was people emptying out a shoe store... 

The worst part - was ALL of the people who were mad about people complaining about it.
I read pages of comments on social media where people were telling others to mind their business, and that people were only getting upset because it was only certain "types" of people who were filmed.
The jokes about the cameras being racist were awesome.

4 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Saw that - very touching.

With me being the natural skeptic, when I first heard about it - I was thinking "I hate facebook" - till I saw the vid.  Those tears and empathy were not rehearsed.

Its nice the positive stuff makes its way to the masses.  As opposed to the BS the media usually sinks its teeth into.

I was really proud of all the positive press Texans were getting in regards to Houston.  

Americans show their true colors in times like this.  Race, looks, and anything else go out the door when disasters like this happen.  Wish people had the same mindset outside of the disasters.

2 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

The worst part - was ALL of the people who were mad about people complaining about it.
I read pages of comments on social media where people were telling others to mind their business, and that people were only getting upset because it was only certain "types" of people who were filmed.
The jokes about the cameras being racist were awesome.

I have seen black people as well as white people arrested for this.  And people lie Sarah Jaffe are morons for comparing the arrests to white supremacy.  Some people just need to make more of an issue out of things than what is really there. 

Going on 81 hours with no power, we've got a generator, but once it runs out of fuel, I have no money to buy more :( the power company will not give any estimate when the service will be restored

4 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Going on 81 hours with no power, we've got a generator, but once it runs out of fuel, I have no money to buy more :( the power company will not give any estimate when the service will be restored

I doubt you will get an estimate on repair.  You normally do not get estimates outside of disasters like this.

Our city power company is reporting ~500,000 without power, and I am in that number! I managed to get $14 to get 5 gallons of gas for the generator, and my friend, whom I am staying with, will be able to get more as needed. This hurricane was a huge experience that I don't want to go through again!