Here's what foods are dangerous for dogs

Big puppy dog eyes can get just about anything they want when they appear at the side of the dinner table—but that doesn't mean they should. The wrong food scrap could cause symptoms that provoke a panicked call to the Pet Poison Helpline or a rush visit to the local veterinary office.

“We see animals for ingesting all sorts of stuff,” said Dr. John de Jong, president-elect of American Veterinary Medical Association and practitioner at the Newton Animal Hospital in Boston. “They present for vomiting, diarrhea, other issues like hematuria and ataxia—meaning that they are off on their walk—because of various toxicities.”

If you're going to feed Fido directly from your plate, de Jong recommends practicing common sense and moderation.

“See what your animal can tolerate in small doses, because every animal is different,” he said.

And proceed with most caution around this seemingly harmless set of eight table scraps, foods that are dangerous for dogs, which actually cause most of the toxicities and internal damage that vets see regularly.

Leftover Bones

Just because your dog regularly chews on bones, doesn’t mean you can throw it a bone from your meal, too. It’s a common misconception that some types of bones are okay while others are not, but, in reality, any bone pulled from your plate can be problematic. Poultry, pork, or steak all pose the same risks that dog chews purchased from the pet store do not.

“The reason you can’t give dogs bones is that they splinter,” de Jong explained.

Those shards can cause trauma to the mouth, esophagus, and all the way down the gastrointestinal tract, from fractured teeth to a scraped lining. Plus, if a bone has a lot of fat—bone marrow—on it, this can cause diarrhea.

More...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/09/13/heres-what-foods-are-dangerous-for-dogs.html

A lot of these I didn't know.  Then again, I normally did not give my dog anything other that dog food and treats.  Every now and then I would spoil him and give him steak bones and such.

• 2 weeks later...

Same with cats. It's not allowed to feed them from our plates. Animals need different amount of vitamins and minerals than we do, so it's unwise to give them potato, soup with garlic or onion, sweet porridge, fried chicken, etc.