Let's play a small game of "Guess The Browsers"

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

Correct. (Y) I wonder if the average user would be able to tell the difference.

Likely, I didn't recognise the first image, and assumed it was edge.

Firefox was easier because of the 'in private browsing'

7 minutes ago, Buttus said:

yea, the top one is the new firefox quantum or whatever, beta, v57

the 2nd, no idea

omg, the first is edge?   jeez

No, the bottom image is Edge, first one is FF

• Like 2

Just now, Draconian Guppy said:

whats the shield on the edge  on the right?

It's uBlock Origins.

6 minutes ago, Buttus said:

the 2nd, no idea

Oh crap! I'm not very good at paying attention to my own screens. It does however show that Mozilla was very inspired by Edge.

34 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Likely, I didn't recognise the first image, and assumed it was edge.

Firefox was easier because of the 'in private browsing'

Except the In Private Browsing is Edge, not Firefox.

47 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Edge and

Firefox?

It's actually Firefox and Edge...

45 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Does it matter? Are we moving on from Firefox looks like Chrome to it looks like Edge now?

16 minutes ago, Buttus said:

the 2nd, no idea

No, the first one is FF.

Edited by oldtimefighter

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

That's what I meant, I didn't bother changing it as Lime had quoted me, so the mistake would still be there

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

It's actually Firefox and Edge...

Does it matter? Are we moving on from Firefox looks like Chrome to it looks like Edge?

No, the first one is FF.

I know, I screwed it

I am normally not a fan of flat design but the new Photon UI didn't go as far as Edge and it just looks better to boot.

14 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

The blueness of the tabs & Private Browsing label would honestly suit Edge more. Orange is usually associated with Firefox.

13 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Does it matter? Are we moving on from Firefox looks like Chrome to it looks like Edge?

It's doesn't. I was just surprised they copied design elements from Edge. I always thought they were going the Chrome route. I was wrong.

I'm glad Mozilla decided to keep at least some of the customizable elements of the browser. I was kinda scared they would remove all of them with this update. 

9 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

The blueness of the tabs & Private Browsing label would honestly suit Edge more. Orange is usually associated with Firefox.

It's doesn't. I was just surprised they copied design elements for Edge. I always thought they were more going for the Chrome route. I was wrong.

I'm glad Mozilla decided to keep at least some of the customizable elements of the browser. I was kinda scared they would remove all of them with this update. 

Cars all look the same. Android phones all look the same now. There are design trends that are copied everywhere including browsers.

Saying that, understand things look even more the same if not familiar with them. I have used the Photon UI with 57.0beta for one day and could tell that was Firefox right away. At work, I also use Firefox but regular staff only have IE and Chrome as options. I sometimes can't tell right away which one is open at first glance on the user's desktop.

9 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Cars all look the same. Android phones all look the same now. There are design trends that are copied everywhere including browsers.

Saying that, understand things look even more the same if not familiar with them. I have used the Photon UI with 57.0beta for one day and could tell that was Firefox right away. At work, I also use Firefox but regular staff only have IE and Chrome as options. I sometimes can't tell right away which one is open at first glance on the user's desktop.

Point taken. It just surprised me is all.

At the end of the day, it's a good change, and it will be even better once most of the existing extensions are updated to support it. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

The average user can't even tell what version of Windows they are using by looking at the bottom bar.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, warwagon said:

The average user can't even tell what version of Windows they are using by looking at the bottom bar.

Yeah that's true. If only the boot screens still made it obvious which version they had.

• Haha 1