Are you umpire material?

I thought it would be fun to test some armchair baseball umpire knowledge.

Is it correct if the tie goes to the runner?

What is the penalty for the batter who refuses to enter the batters box?

What is the Infield Fly rule?

More later.

tie goes to the runner yes

If batter doesnt enter box, the pitcher will be told to pitch and the umpire will call balls and strikes accordingly

the infield fly rule is: if runners are on 1st and 2nd or on the corners or the bases are loaded with elss than 2 out, and the batter pops up on the infield, and the umpire deems the ball catchable by an infielder, the batter shall be out and the ball dead. this is to avoid the fielder purposefully dropping the ball to cause a double or triple play.

Edited by CatnipOligarthy

tie goes to the runner yes

If batter doesnt enter box, the pitcher will be told to pitch and the umpire will call balls and strikes accordingly

1) Wrong, there's no such thing as a tie to an umpire. You're out or you're safe.

2) Wrong

3) Right

1) Wrong, there's no such thing as a tie to an umpire. You're out or you're safe.

2) Wrong

1) yeah, see but a runner is safe unless the fielder tags him or the base before he reaches safely. if they arrive at the same time, the ball didnt arrive first, and he is safe, its a tie and hes safe.

2) yeah that was a guess.. ive never seen a batter refuse to enter the box

Another;

Is the batter out if he turns left and is tagged instead of turning right after overrunning first base?

should be. because then he has made the turn to 2nd base, you can only overrun first if you continue going down the line.

1) yeah, see but a runner is safe unless the fielder tags him or the base before he reaches safely. if they arrive at the same time, the ball didnt arrive first, and he is safe, its a tie and hes safe.

Actually, the runner must BEAT the play. If he tied, he didn't beat the ball.

2) yeah that was a guess.. ive never seen a batter refuse to enter the box

The umpire shall call strikes NO MATTER where the ball is pitched, until the batter returns to the batters box.

should be. because then he has made the turn to 2nd base, you can only overrun first if you continue going down the line.

It is a judgement call by the umpire. If the umpire believes that the runner's intention was to advance, he will be called out. If he believes that the runner had no intent, it doesn't matter which way he turns. He could turn right and make a move for second base, the umpire will call him out if he's tagged.

If a runner is on base and is hit by a fair ball, is he out?

not if hes still on the base. if he is off the base and hit by a fair ball hes out.

not if hes still on the base. if he is off the base and hit by a fair ball hes out.

The bases are in fair territory. A runner is out when hit by a fair batted ball while touching a base, except when hit by an infield-fly or after the ball has passed a fielder and no other fielder had a play on the ball.

If the runner is touching first or third, he is not out unless the ball touches him over fair territory. If one foot is on the base and the other is in foul ground and he is hit on the foul ground foot, he is not out. It is a foul ball. (If the ball has not passed beyond first or third. He is actually expected to vacate the base to stay safe if he's about to be hit by the ball.

What is the penalty if a ball is handles by a fielder but he uses a piece of equipment besides his glove or hand?

Example: a catcher drops a thrown ball (not pitched, thrown) and reaches for it with his facemask to roll it back towards him.

The catcher in this situation would be thrown out of the game if I remember correctly. I know that happened not too long ago, maybe last season.

Edit: Or was it that every runner advances one base? Maybe the catcher got thrown out for arguing. :laugh:

What is the penalty if a ball is handles by a fielder but he uses a piece of equipment besides his glove or hand?

Example: a catcher drops a thrown ball (not pitched, thrown) and reaches for it with his facemask to roll it back towards him.

3 base penalty for all runners.

Batting lineup:

• Abel
  • Baker
  • Charles
  • Daniel
  • Edward
  • Frank
  • George
  • Hooker
  • Irwin

Baker bats. With the count 2 balls and 1 strike, (a) the offensive team discovers the error or (b) the defensive team appeals. What happens?

I thought it would be fun to test some armchair baseball umpire knowledge.

Is it correct if the tie goes to the runner?

What is the penalty for the batter who refuses to enter the batters box?

What is the Infield Fly rule?

More later.

As far as I know.....

1. No. The runner has to BEAT the throw to first. There is no tie.

2. The pitcher is awarded a strike. I also think the ball is still live, meaning the pitcher can pick off a runner.. I could be wrong on the latter part.

3. Catnip answered this one.

/edit Whups. guess i'm a bit slow....

Batting lineup:
  • Abel
  • Baker
  • Charles
  • Daniel
  • Edward
  • Frank
  • George
  • Hooker
  • Irwin

Baker bats. With the count 2 balls and 1 strike, (a) the offensive team discovers the error or (b) the defensive team appeals. What happens?

I think they're SOL, since more than one pitch has been made.

I think they're SOL, since more than one pitch has been made.

In either case, Abel replaces Baker, with the count on him 2 balls and 1 strike.

Same lineup as above;

Baker bats and doubles. The defensive team appeals (a) immediately or (b) after a pitch to Charles.

In either case, Abel replaces Baker, with the count on him 2 balls and 1 strike.

Same lineup as above;

Baker bats and doubles. The defensive team appeals (a) immediately or (b) after a pitch to Charles.

Immediately.