Are you umpire material?

Ok..I got one.

Shortstop gets hit in the nuggets with a line drive. Is it ok to laugh?

Absolutely!

On that note, an umpire I worked with once did a hardball game behind the plate with no cup. He got nailed by a foul ball right in the jewels and crawled off into the bushes to puke.

Absolutely!

On that note, an umpire I worked with once did a hardball game behind the plate with no cup. He got nailed by a foul ball right in the jewels and crawled off into the bushes to puke.

Oh man....what was he thinking????

But...I'd still :laugh: at him. You gotta ph34r the nugget-ball.

Runner on second, one out, count "2 balls and 2 strikes". The pitched ball bounces in front of the plate. While the batter swings and misses, the ball caromes off the catcher and ends up in the umpire's ball bag. What's the solution to this mess?

Runner on second, one out, count "2 balls and 2 strikes". The pitched ball bounces in front of the plate. While the batter swings and misses, the ball caromes off the catcher and ends up in the umpire's ball bag. What's the solution to this mess?

You think about the shortstop getting beaned in the nuggets and laugh again.

The batter and any runner advance 1 base.

This one is acually true

Rule 3.01e

You said must. Nowhere in that rule does it say must.

Have in his possession at least two alternate balls and shall require replenishment of such supply of alternate balls as needed throughout the game. Such alternate balls shall be put in play when_

(1) A ball has been batted out of the playing field or into the spectator area;

(2) A ball has become discolored or unfit for further use;

(3) The pitcher requests such alternate ball. The umpire shall not give an alternate ball to the pitcher until play has ended and the previously used ball is dead. After a thrown or batted ball goes out of the playing field, play shall not be resumed with an alternate ball until the runners have reached the bases to which they are entitled. After a home run is hit out of the playing grounds, the umpire shall not deliver a new ball to the pitcher or the catcher until the batter hitting the home run has crossed the plate.

You said must. Nowhere in that rule does it say must.
Have in his possession at least two alternate balls and shall require replenishment of such supply of alternate balls as needed throughout the game. Such alternate balls shall be put in play when_

?  (1) A ball has been batted out of the playing field or into the spectator area;

?  (2) A ball has become discolored or unfit for further use;

?  (3) The pitcher requests such alternate ball. The umpire shall not give an alternate ball to the pitcher until play has ended and the previously used ball is dead. After a thrown or batted ball goes out of the playing field, play shall not be resumed with an alternate ball until the runners have reached the bases to which they are entitled. After a home run is hit out of the playing grounds, the umpire shall not deliver a new ball to the pitcher or the catcher until the batter hitting the home run has crossed the plate.

Hrm. It doesnt say it, but then again, it doesnt say anything that the umpire can choose. I am pretty sure he must do it either way.

Hrm. It doesnt say it, but then again, it doesnt say anything that the umpire can choose. I am pretty sure he must do it either way.

No, the ump can decline if he feels the pitcher is stalling or generally trying to hold up the game.

No, the ump can decline if he feels the pitcher is stalling or generally trying to hold up the game.

I disagree but oh well.

Runner at 1st, batter takes the pitch. The catcher's throw back to the pitcher hits the still cocked bat of the batter. The ball bounces into the dugout and R1 goes to 3rd. Can he stay there?

• 3 months later...
I disagree but oh well.

Runner at 1st, batter takes the pitch. The catcher's throw back to the pitcher hits the still cocked bat of the batter. The ball bounces into the dugout and R1 goes to 3rd. Can he stay there?

I'll say yes. Let's have some more of these.