• Baker
  • Charles
  • Daniel
  • Edward
  • Frank
  • George
  • Hooker
  • Irwin

Abel walks. Baker walks. Charles forces Baker. Edward bats in Daniel's turn. While Edward is at bat, Abel scores and Charles goes to second on a wild pitch. Edward grounds out, sending Charles to third. What is the ruling if the defensive team appeals (a) immediately or (b) after a pitch to Daniel?

If a batter goes up to the plate and nothing is said till after the at bat, it as if he went in order and there are no penalties.

If something is said when he steps into the batters box, the batter who was skipped is out.

(a) Abel's run counts and Charles is entitled to second base since these advances were not made because of the improper batter batting a ball or advancing to first base. Charles must return to second base because his advance to third resulted from the improper batter batting a ball. Daniel is called out, and Edward is the proper batter;

(b) Abel's run counts and Charles stays on third. The proper batter is Frank.

Two outs, bases loaded, 3-2 count. With all runners going on the pitch, the batter takes ball four. R2 touches and rounds 3rd and is picked off by the catcher before the runner from 3rd touches the plate. Does the run score?

A relief pitcher enters the game with 2 outs and a runner at first. Without delivering a single pitch, the new pitcher successfully picks off R1, thus retiring the side. The manager now inserts a pinch-hitter for the reliever, who is due to lead off the next half-inning. Is this legal?

Edited by Remote

What Happened to tucker on the play?

Did he get a hit? what kind of a hit?

Did he get an RBI?

Tucker is out for passing the preceding runner. If the fielder didin't catch his drive, then it's a hit. You didn't mention if the runner on third went home, but if he did before Tucker passed the other runner, it's an RBI (this is not a force play).

Tucker is out for passing the preceding runner. If the fielder didin't catch his drive, then it's a hit. You didn't mention if the runner on third went home, but if he did before Tucker passed the other runner, it's an RBI (this is not a force play).

Thats correct, I changed it though, so if you dont see the question people, know that its because I deleted it and replaced with better ones

Two outs, bases loaded, 3-2 count. With all runners going on the pitch, the batter takes ball four. R2 touches and rounds 3rd and is picked off by the catcher before the runner from 3rd touches the plate. Does the run score?

Yes., the run is forced home. You might tell me why the catcher was near third, though. :p

A relief pitcher enters the game with 2 outs and a runner at first. Without delivering a single pitch, the new pitcher successfully picks off R1, thus retiring the side. The manager now inserts a pinch-hitter for the reliever, who is due to lead off the next half-inning. Is this legal?

I'm going to say it's legal. It's no different than switching batters after a pitcher change, IMO.

I know you're going to get me on this, because it rings a bell. Oh well. LD

The Batter doubles but misses first base. "Time" is called. After the ball is put back into play, the pitcher balks when he attempts to make an appeal at 1st base. What is the call?

You can't balk during an appeal, you must advise the ump you are appealing and the pitcher would not have to be on the rubber to throw the ball to first anyway.

Since it was an illegal bat, the run does not score, and charles goes back to his original base.

If they fail to appeal everyone stays where they are at, run scored, and it's Edward's bat.

/edit dang! That's what I get for leaving for a few, and coming back and replying....

i dont play baseball, nor do i watch it etc... i had an argument with a friend once... he said u can change the runner at 1st base with a different player. He claimed they put a good batter up at bat who gets to first, and swap him with a "runner". Is that true?

You can't balk during an appeal, you must advise the ump you are appealing and the pitcher would not have to be on the rubber to throw the ball to first anyway.

That is incorrect. When you appeal the ball is live. A balk will result in a null of the appeal and the runner is awareded a base.

Yes., the run is forced home. You might tell me why the catcher was near third, though. :p

I'm going to say it's legal. It's no different than switching batters after a pitcher change, IMO.

I know you're going to get me on this, because it rings a bell. Oh well. LD

Correct.

Correct.

the infield fly rule is: if runners are on 1st and 2nd or on the corners or the bases are loaded with elss than 2 out, and the batter pops up on the infield, and the umpire deems the ball catchable by an infielder, the batter shall be out and the ball dead. this is to avoid the fielder purposefully dropping the ball to cause a double or triple play.

OHHH! Wow, I used to play softball in middle school and summer before I started high school and the in-field fly rule applied to us and I could never understand why, haha. I was a sucker for hitting pop-ups. Thanks! (Y)

That is incorrect. When you appeal the ball is live. A balk will result in a null of the appeal and the runner is awareded a base.

The ball is live, but the pitcher need not be anywhere near the rubber to appeal. I'll take your word for it though. :D

Runner on 2nd base with two outs. Batter hits one over the fence. As R2 rounds third he trips on the base and falls down. The third base coach helps him up and he continues home. What's the call?

Runner on 2nd base with two outs. Batter hits one over the fence. As R2 rounds third he trips on the base and falls down. The third base coach helps him up and he continues home. What's the call?

That is legal....the play is dead if the ball is hit over the fence, but if the play is live the runner is called out. Any contact between coach and runner results in an out.

As for the whole tie goes to the runner thing....that is not true. Even on very close plays at first, if the umpire is in the right position, you can easily tell whether the runner is safe or out.

Bases loaded, two outs. The batter hits a hard grounder to 3rd baseman. 3rd Baseman falls on his stomach near 3rd base. While holding the ball in his glove, he touches 3rd base with his bare hand before the runner on 2nd reaches 3rd base. What's the call?