Captain Marvel

The only "feminist" thing that bothered me at all - and this isn't much of anything - was the use of Just a Girl by No Doubt, which was just awkward, and didn't match the scene (which was still pretty cool) at all. Seemed gratuitous.

Other than that, I don't know why a movie that happens to have a female lead has to be a feminist issue for "either side". Can't we live in a world where that is just a thing? I'm generally for "girl power", but this is getting tiring.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:35 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

I really hated them make Fury go all ga ga over a puddy tat... I'm sorry, but that right there, lopped his balls right off...

The first time that happened, I thought "gee, that was a funny character quirk"... then a second later thought "oh god he's going to do that the whole movie isn't he"... joke ran thin pretty quick.

5 hours ago, PGHammer said:

The reviews on Captain Marvel (even before the movie's release) are just as anti-movie - and in large part due to an intepretation of the message as being overly pro-feminist - way more so than "Wonder Woman".  When you do that (overdo the messaging) with any movie, you tend to open yourself up to such Mjolnir-driven sledging - look at the trends between "Star Wars: A New Hope" and "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" - nine years in frigging length - driven by ONE movie - "Annie Hall".  (All "Annie Hall" did was keep "A New Hope" from becoming another "Ben Hur" and brooming its nomination categories; still, "A New Hope" DID go seven for ten - which no movie since has done.)

I don't tend to overthink movies. I enjoy them (or hate them) depending on the storyline/quality. This one was great. I guess this movie really shows who the real snowflakes are 😅.

5 hours ago, 0sit0 said:

I don't tend to overthink movies. I enjoy them (or hate them) depending on the storyline/quality. This one was great. I guess this movie really shows who the real snowflakes are 😅.

I have not seen it yet - and therefore have exactly zero opinion ON it.  I did not pre-judge "Annie Hall", either - in fact, I went to see it - and liked it - between my two viewings of "A New Hope" during its first run at the Circle Uptown in Upper Northwest DC (said first run was over a year - still the longest first run in DC theater history).  I don't judge a movie based on reviews - this one is no different.  I was simply quoting the critical reviews - and they tended to be alike - the movie's message was "too feminist".  (Sounds more like they were based on the movie teaser trailers (the first one in particular), as opposed to the movie itself - I heard similar crap with "Wonder Woman" (which I HAVE seen, and is anything BUT "feminist"; if anything, it's a LOT like "Man of Steel" (the reboot of "Superman") but with a sword and a lasso ("MoS" had neither, of course), but still, quite likable for itself).

5 hours ago, 0sit0 said:

Let's see, most are here commenting on the movie itself, and then you chip in leading with insults to other posters. Yup, it's clear all right. 🙄

Haven't seen the movie yet. I might, but it isn't a priority. I have a limited budget for movies, and between taking my cousins to see Lego Movie 2 last week and the original Captain Marvel (one of my lifelong favorites) returning to the big screen in a couple weeks, I'm more likely to wait `til this one is available to rent.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I saw this last night with a friend, it was a good origin movie in typical marvel fashion.  Personally I wasn't touched too much but then again I'm not the target demographic they were going for. 

I'd give it a 6/10 it does have its share of cheesy moments for sure. It could have had a bit more build up and made you guess about where the plot was headed but it doesn't, could've been better but hey, it's a stepping stone to endgame. 

• Like 2

Saw it last Thursday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was a fun ride throughout.  I'll be seeing it again with my father soon enough.

3 hours ago, Innervisions33 said:

Saw it last Thursday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was a fun ride throughout.  I'll be seeing it again with my father soon enough.

1.  On Fury - what a lot of the critics/haters seem to have forgotten is that this is between "Captain America" and "Avengers" - therefore, a lot of what created the Nick Fury we are used to has not happened yet.  (Phil Coulson shows up, too - and the same applies to him.  Yes - that was Coulson that showed up with the alien on the autopsy table.)  Backstory for "Avengers", and to a large extent for SHIELD itself.

2.  Carol Danvers - Personality-wise, she reminds me a LOT of Thor.  Not a bad thing.  (Problem for most of us is that we tend to judge based on appearance.  The Skrulls - and even the Kree - use that  in their battles.  Fury and Coulson are - literally - the first non-Kree and non-Skrulls to find that out.) 

3.  The Light Rail Battle - it could be anywhere that similar trains were present; I thought downtown Baltimore (Harborplace/Penn Station/Camden Yards); yes, Baltimore has light rail in that area; I have, in fact, USED it in that area.  Literally, the SAME rolling stock.  Carol Danvers is doing the throwdown on what APPEARS to be a little old lady.  (Never mind that the "little old lady" is - in reality - not little - or old - or even HUMAN.  Image image, image.  Got to save the "little old lady" from the maniac woman.)  The passersby reaction thus is perfectly understandable.  Still, I cannot WAIT for some of them to get debriefed and realize how they were made to look like saps.

4.  Why did I compare Carol Danvers to Thor (not Sif)?  Simple - Carol Danvers is no more human than Thor.  She is a "fusion" between human and Kree; however, in reality, she's neither.  She wouldn't be accepted even by the Kree, despite they are directly responsible for creating her.  (According to none other than the Marvel Wikia, the Kree are XENOPHOBIC  dogmatic in their "purebloodedness" as any Klansperson; that is what started the Kree/Skrull War in the first place.)

5.  The Facts Of Life  - the trip to that (orignally Kree) suborbital outpost is designed to wake up EVERYBODY (except the Skrulls, of course) to the reality of Carol Danvers.  Remember, the remainder of her (nominally Kree) team is there.  Fury is there.  Her old galpal from the USAF is there.  Carol Danvers is NOBODY's "weapon".  No longer fighting with one-hand tied behind her back.  She just gave her entire Kree team a wake-up call - and a rather RUDE one at that.  The Kree EMPIRE got an even ruder wake-up call than the outpost did; remember, they tried to blow Earth - or at least that portion of California - to dust-bunnies - and came up EMPTY.  They are NOT used to losing - and they DID say that they would be back.  (As I said - they aren't used to losing.)

6.  The Skrulls - They are actually doing the smart thing; they are hunting holes and pulling them in after themselves.  (It's even canon.)  Even before Carol shucked her chains, all the Skrulls wanted to do was hide.  (What I wonder is will the Skrull version of Carol Danvers show up later.  Look up "Super-Skrull" in the Marvel Wikia.)

On 3/11/2019 at 5:09 PM, George P said:

I saw this last night with a friend, it was a good origin movie in typical marvel fashion.  Personally I wasn't touched too much but then again I'm not the target demographic they were going for. 

I'd give it a 6/10 it does have its share of cheesy moments for sure. It could have had a bit more build up and made you guess about where the plot was headed but it doesn't, could've been better but hey, it's a stepping stone to endgame. 

There are uses for cheese - rather tasty uses at that.

1. "I'm Just A Girl" (NOT!) - she kicks her whole Kree team's collective butts - without breathing hard.  And with a truckload of witnesses.

2.  "I'm Just A Girl, Volume Two" (NOT!) - She then proceeds to do the same to the Kree Empire - with no help at all.  (Four-cheese lasagna.)  Same witnesses.

3.  Keeping Secrets.  Fury knows where Danvers' Kree buddies are - exactly.  He also came DOWN from there - which certainly means he can get back UP there.  (I'm not saying how - or even who - and should not have to, if you have seen the movie.)

4.  Keeping Secrets, Volume Two - Note that Fury has shown ZERO interest in Kree medical technologies.  Will "Endgame" mark a change in Fury's thinking on those lines? (Fury saw the results of the Kree Empire "poking that bear" - which is likely why he did not poke it himself.  Will "Endgame" force his hand?)

I watched this the other day and thought it was more of a 6/10

One question is Nick Fury never mentions Captain Marvel at all in all the other films yet has a pager? Never uses it till now.

10 hours ago, Zathras5 said:

That's a stupid non-answer answer. "We didn't see him do it so maybe he did".

And for the lore of the movies that's okay. But it also works both ways though. We didn't see him do it so he probably didn't.

But the real world reason is because they probably hadn't even started planning out the Captain Marvel movie yet when the firs Avengers movie came out.