SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship updates

:) That's the second lesson we learn. Watch and learn from the Senior Engineers. Read the datasheets, learn the 'prints, do the math. Observe the physics, the how's and why's behind something that is built. The how's and why's of how that item affects the item it goes in to.

The first is, of course -- "You don't know s**t." :laugh:

I may appear harsh towards you...but it is for good reason...for your benefit..

To cut to the chase..

Every generation will experience a drastic increase in cumulative knowledge.

With technology comes new discoveries and new mysteries...this increases with technology

It has been impossible, for quite some time, for one individual to keep up on every advance...hence specialization and teamwork

In the end, a great team with sufficient funding can achieve what amounts to "magic"...but...

Two things can't be purchased...integrity and honor...they must be earned...and beware though...

Words are a weapon that can reveal the true nature of an individual...the consequence....integrity and honor do not rebuild well.

-----------------------------------

The quiet and dedicated one can unleash a storm. One can converse but choose your words wisely...it will do you well.

-----------------------------------

SpaceX and a few other firms have assembled an amazing engineering team (top percentile), they have a focus, have resources and operate off first principles and have proven themselves many times over...yet...

There are still individuals online who think they know better and/or are completely oblivious and carry on the "hate train"...these are the ones to feel sorry for, not hate.

-------------------------------

Learn and choose your words wisely...your future depends on it.

A rambling old fart...with some experience...😎

• Thanks 1

Naah, you're fine. And I appreciate it. AND you're allowed. :yes:(Y) 

Truth be told, I do tend to speak out-of-turn ... and yes, it deserves checking if it's called for. Same goes for everyone else.

You're a good guy, DD. Wouldn't be "you" if you didn't feel the need to correct the Junior Engineers when needed, eh? :laugh:

Seriously, bud, carry on. It's all good, and you're totally fine. I've got much thicker skin than to not take it objectively. Thick head too, sometimes. Heh. I'll be alright, I think.

Interesting ... that statement reminds me of the helmets of the Apollo astronauts, which I believe the pull-down cover used a deposited gold film iirc.

Leeward side needs nothing, windward side will be activity cooled with residual (cryo) liquid methane, so will appear liquid silver even on hot side

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1077353613997920257

-------------------------------------

Starship will look like liquid silver

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1077346382359322625

-----------------------

Usable strength/weight of full hard stainless at cryo is slightly better than carbon fiber, room temp is worse, high temp is vastly better

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1077111607564464129

all from questions related to...

Stainless Steel Starship

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1077106553189093376

DvKmsU1V4AE9Xqr.thumb.jpg.ad32ae1c76c487e8fb8131e038bf60a8.jpg

larger image...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvKmsU1V4AE9Xqr.jpg

All questions related to outer surface...no paint...no ablative coating....cryo cooled...this is using the properties of the "stainless" grade selected and using onboard resources for extracuricular activities....nice...

5 minutes ago, DocM said:

In light of this weekend's events, I'm reposting this from December 8th

Approx time has not changed...but, we may be in for a "treat" tweet soon for "goodies" being sought for the "booster"...booster seems too small a word for this...Super Heavy will do...

1 hour ago, Draggendrop said:

All questions related to outer surface...no paint...no ablative coating....cryo cooled...this is using the properties of the "stainless" grade selected and using onboard resources for extracuricular activities....nice...

An actively cryo-cooled heat shield be that'll look like "liquid silver." 

Channeling Flight of the Navigator.

Can't to a damned thing "normal," can they? 😄

5 hours ago, Beittil said:

>

Man that thing is going to be crazy huge. 

And still subscale - shorter than a full Starship. Which is indeed crazy 

1504829285_HopperDec29CBSvideo.thumb.jpg.b407044ce13761b54438320d3b3908e2.jpg

Edited by DocM

The sling/brace has been used to move the "legged" section off the concrete support. It is now located at the other side of the shed front, on the work pad.

I have not included images as they are not in the public yet, just on NSF by bocachicagal.

They will be out on Monday by her or other users...just in case of copyright...

Things are moving fast....and the speculation as well. Best to wait this one out as it's moving fast.

• Thanks 1