SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship updates

Draggendrop
1 hour ago, flyingskippy said:

Scott Manley did a video on the hopper. It is pretty informative. Apparently someone did calculations and figured out it should only take one Raptor to get it off the ground. So, sit back grab a beer cause when this one lites it should be really uh.....hoppy.

Scott always does a great presentation...he has covered some of the topics we have been discussing on NSF...not much gets by that forum.

Myself, I'm going with the main purpose being Raptor profile data collection. This is required for Lars team to enable development and test of the initial landing control systems  for the  unit in LA. This won't take long with data at hand. This is also "shock and awe" similar to "hold my beer" for a few reasons that I won't mention.

------------------------------------------------

8 hours ago, DocM said:

It may look flimsy, but experienced  welders can close those seams &  secure the plates to the structural steel.  It'll be a rock.

Just my opinion...but if one looks close, the system is a lap joint and spot welds.

Spot welds are usually just as strong, and in many cases stronger than the actual material. Spot welding "quarter panels" has been done for decades on automobiles. Anyone who has had to drill out and pry the panel off will attest to the strength.

This is only a test article. Pretty is not important. I am sure that they will buff it up a bit, but leave as is...spot welded...nothing else is required as "full seams" is of little benefit.

The actual use of the stainless panels on the "real deal" can use techniques such as stiffening contours and radius bending...or even press forming...lots of options and the SpaceX team are a bunch of smart cookies.

---------------------------------

Reading a few articles and comments...found a few great ones on Space News. One of the comments went along the line of...Elon sends his car to Mars, has a rocket powered water tank being built by the village people...that ought to tick off a few "old space" people....and I'm loving it!  This sums up my thoughts as well.

This unit does not have to be pretty...joints will show and fins will have rough covering...this is for data collection on the Raptors.

Honestly...I am more amazed at the comments of "professionals" who don't quite "get the idea". This is where academics should just stay in the class room and let the "field engineers" do their magic. This has always been the case...but it has really exposed a rift and I find it the most entertaining aspect....field engineers for the win.

Edited by Draggendrop
my spelling...ooops
  • Like 1
Draggendrop

Question answered...These are fit check units...real deals on the way....those "2 stage" nozzles may be legit...cool.

• Like 1
DocM

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1
Draggendrop

DocM

Draggendrop

@DocM

Just curious...are you posting items to the forum from a small device like a phone?

I have noticed that you are missing a lot of posts and are re-posting the same data...just did it again with Beittil and my own posts from the last few hours.

Seems like a large screen on a laptop or desktop would help.

DocM

Just missed em, tablet

Draggendrop
6 minutes ago, DocM said:

Just missed em, tablet

snip

You have been doing that a lot lately.

The reason that I bring this up is that many members take time from their daily lives to post and share data to these forums as a benefit to others.

I have made mistakes...hell, even duplicating an entire thread...but I own up to the mistake and state it. If I duplicate a post by accident, I expect you guys to point it out and I will apologize and remove it....simple.

You really need to take the time, read the forum and appreciate what others have posted. We all may not agree with each other..but that is why we can all have opinions and state them as such.

May be just me, but I take a continual repeat of this behaviour on any other forum as an insult and address it immediately.

Seriously...you need to read the forum before you post...otherwise, you may as well start a blog somewhere...

DocM

Beittil

Hey now, cut the man some slack... We're all overly enthusiastic space nuts here 🎉

• Like 1
flyingskippy

It's no biggie. Just glad that we have multiple sources to post all the information that is out there.

• Like 1
Draggendrop
44 minutes ago, Beittil said:

Hey now, cut the man some slack... We're all overly enthusiastic space nuts here 🎉

That's your opinion.

This has been going on for awhile and I don't appreciate having stuff that I have gone out of my way to post....doubled because someone can't take the time to read the friggen thread.

You guys carry on with the ###### then...I'm done here.

DocM

Uhhh...

OK - I accidentally  reposted and I apologise,  but that reaction was IMO 1) a little harsh, and 2) should have been handled in a PM.  

• Like 2
Beittil
9 hours ago, Draggendrop said:

You guys carry on with the ###### then...I'm done here.

Now that there is a bit over the top and uncalled for imho! Calm down buddy!

• Like 1
DocM

2nd shift

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1
DocM

She RISES....

My crop

1600777596_Starhopperassembled2048.thumb.jpg.8b80b3b75e9f02081586263d8f46af5d.jpg

• Like 2
Unobscured Vision

Seems a bit short. Hmm.

DocM

Supposed to be ~39m. 

• Thanks 1
Unobscured Vision

Okay that's why it looked short. I was comparing it to the production model. Thanks @DocM.

Jim K

I think Tim Dodd explains this pretty well (though I'm not particularly a fan of the Kerbal Space Program demo between 10:00 - 18:05) ... for those that are still wondering what this hopper is (and SpaceX's history of hoppers)

DocM

Has to be a propellant tank dome, so steel all the way down....

For those who were wondering....

Edited by DocM
DocM

Sounds like Super Heavy is also stainless steel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stergios Georgopoulos
      Elon Musk confirms first SpaceX ocean spaceport is under construction
      by Stergios Georgopoulos

Last year, SpaceX announced plans to build floating spaceports for space travel and hypersonic flights around the Earth. The floating launchpads, built on refurbished oil platforms, will serve as a launch and landing platform for the Starship rocket, a spacecraft that the company intends to use to fly astronauts to the Moon, as well as for the exploration and habitation of Mars in the coming years.

On Sunday, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk tweeted that Deimos, the first of the two platforms, is under construction and is expected to become operational next year. Both launchpads, the other one being Phobos, are named after Mars’ moons. The tweet was in response to a fan, who shared a rendered concept image of the offshore spaceport.

Earlier this month, the company performed a successful soft landing of the latest iteration of Starship, dubbed SN15, for the first time. Previous tests of older prototypes all saw the spacecraft blow up at landing and had varying degrees of success.

• By zikalify
      SpaceX's Starship performs successful soft landing for the first time [Update]
      by Paul Hill

SpaceX has successfully landed its Starship craft that it plans to use to fly astronauts to the Moon later in the decade. The Starship SN15 which flew on this test is the first Starship craft to make a successful soft landing after descending from an altitude of 10 km. Previous tests all saw the various Starship iterations blow up at landing and had varying degrees of success.

The launch today took off around 5:24 p.m. CDT (10:24 p.m. UTC) from Boca Chica in Texas. The main goal of the mission was to perform a successful soft landing which SpaceX did manage to pull off. With all that said, a fire did break out near the base of the ship and it was promptly doused with water before it eventually went out. SpaceX will definitely need to get this sorted out in future missions as fires can cause an explosion, as happened with Starship SN10 back in March.

Following the landing of Starship, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk took to what is presumably his favourite social media site, Twitter, to report that Starship’s landing was nominal – in other words, everything went to plan.

At the end of April, Reuters reported that the Federal Aviation Administration had authorised three launches of Starship – the one that just occurred, SN15; SN16; and SN17. It’s not clear yet when the next two launches are going to take off but we should see them in a relatively short time. We’ll be watching to see whether SpaceX truly has perfected the landing and whether it can stop fires from breaking out on the landing pad.

Update: Elon Musk has said that SpaceX may try to re-fly Starship SN15, following its successful landing.

• By zikalify
      TWIRL 11: SpaceX to launch 60 Starlink satellites and maybe Starship SN15
      by Paul Hill

Background image via SpaceX We’ve got a pretty quiet week in terms of rocket launches this week. SpaceX will try to launch its Starlink 25 mission, we may see Virgin Galactic launch its VSS Unity rocketplane, and a Long March rocket will put three satellites into orbit to carry out possible SIGINT work. We may also see SpaceX launch its Starship SN15 this week as a launch was scrubbed on Friday.

Tuesday, May 4
      On Tuesday, we’ve got just one launch from SpaceX who will be launching its Starlink 25 mission. This mission will send 60 Starlink satellites into low Earth orbit where they’ll beam internet connectivity back down to the planet. The satellites will be taken into space atop SpaceX’s trusty Falcon 9 Block 5 rocket which has reliably sent hundreds of Starlink satellites to space. If you’d like to watch the launch, head over to SpaceX’s website at 7:01 p.m. UTC on Tuesday.

Wednesday, May 5
      May 5 will be the first date that we could see the launch of the Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo-class VSS Unity. It’s really important to point out that this launch is marked as no earlier than which means the launch could take place after Wednesday. If the flight does go ahead, VSS Unity will launch from a VMS EVE carrier aircraft and fly to the edge of space. It will carry payloads as part of the NASA flight opportunities program that will generate revenue for Virgin Galactic.

Friday, May 7
      The final flight of the week will launch from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in China. A Long March CZ-2C rocket will launch three satellites that have been designated as Yaogan 30 Group 08. The satellites will perform electromagnetic detection and perform other technical tests but to what ends is unknown. It’s speculated that the satellites could be being used for signals intelligence work. No live stream will show this launch but post-launch videos could appear on YouTube afterwards.

Starship SN15
      We could see SpaceX launch its Starship SN15 from Monday onwards following its flight last Friday that was scrubbed due to bad weather. SpaceX has still not performed a smooth landing of a Starship vehicle to date but NASA recently selected SpaceX’s Starship to land the next Americans on the Moon; this should motivate the firm to nail the landing process.

• By zikalify
      TWIRL 9: SpaceX Crew-2 Dragon to take astronauts to ISS, NASA to try Mars Helicopter
      by Paul Hill

Background image by NASA This week is panning out to be quite dramatic with NASA set to test its Mars Helicopter and SpaceX taking astronauts to the ISS on its Crew Dragon spacecraft. In addition to those events, SpaceX is also expected to launch the Starship SN-15 mission which will see the firm attempt to land the craft following NASA’s decision to pick Starship as the human landing system for its missions to the Moon from 2024.

Monday, April 19
      There are no rocket launches listed for Monday, however, Elon Musk did put out a tweet explaining that SpaceX is aiming to launch Starship SN-15 this week, therefore, Monday is the earliest time we will see the launch. This is the first Starship launch since NASA chose the vehicle for its human landing system on the Artemis missions so SpaceX should have a bit more motivation to get the landing right this time around.

While this series is called This Week in Rocket Launches, it’s probably worth mentioning that NASA is looking to fly the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter from Monday at 3:30 a.m. EDT (12:30 a.m. PDT). Data from the autonomous flight will take time to get back to Earth and a live stream is due to start at 6:15 a.m. EDT (3:15 a.m. PDT). If the flight takes place, NASA will hold a briefing at 2 p.m. EDT (11 a.m. PDT) to apprise us of how the mission went.

Tuesday, April 20
      There’s only one event set for Tuesday and that is ExPace’s planned launch of the Kuaizhou KZ-1A with the Jilin Gaofen 2D satellite (Jilin 28) aboard. We’ve spoken several times about this launch in older issues of TWIRL but briefly, this satellite will capture high-resolution full-colour images from 535 km and will work within the Jilin 1 constellation that’s already in orbit.

Thursday, April 22
      Thursday will be one of the most interesting days of the week with SpaceX carrying out the Crew-2 Dragon mission which will carry NASA astronauts Shane Kimbrough, Megan McArthur, ESA astronaut Thomas Pesquet, and JAXA astronaut Akihiko Hoshide to the international space station. This Dragon capsule is named Endeavour after the Space Shuttle and was the first of the dragon capsules to carry a crew.

Interestingly, the ISS only got new arrivals two weeks ago so when the four new astronauts arrive there will 11 people on-board which is the highest number that has ever been on the space station at once, though, it’s not the highest number of people that have been in space at one time. Luckily for those on board, four of the astronauts will be departing on the SpaceX Crew-1 on April 28 bringing the ISS crew size to 7.

Sunday, April 25
      On Sunday there will be two missions. Roscosmos is looking to launch the Resurs-P 4 satellite from Baikonur atop a Soyuz 2.1b rocket and OneWeb will have 36 of its satellites put into orbit by a Starsem-owned Soyuz 2.1b rocket. The Resurs-P satellite will conduct Earth observation for Russian government agencies while the OneWeb satellites will make up a constellation providing internet for people on Earth and flying in planes.

• By zikalify
      NASA chooses SpaceX to land next Americans on the Moon
      by Paul Hill

NASA has awarded a $2.89 billion contract to SpaceX to continue developing a commercial human lander that will deliver the next two American astronauts to the lunar surface. Under current plans, the Space Launch System and Orion spacecraft will take astronauts to Lunar orbit where two of the up to four crew members would transfer to SpaceX’s human lander.

Kathy Lueders, NASA’s associate administrator for Human Explorations and Operations Mission Directorate, said:

You’re probably already familiar with SpaceX’s human landing system, it’s the Starship which the firm has recently been smashing into the ground as it attempts to perfect the landing sequence. The latest Starship test is expected next week where it will hopefully achieve a landing with the newfound financial motivation from NASA.

For those wondering whether the private sector can meet the rigorous NASA requirements, the space agency has confirmed that SpaceX has been working closely with NASA experts to ensure the lander design meets NASA’s performance requirements and human spaceflight standards. The standards range from engineering, safety, health, and medical technical areas.

The first mission to the Moon's surface by NASA is its Artemis 3 mission which is expected in 2024 but it could still be delayed. Artemis 3 will be preceded by Artemis 1 expected in November 2021 and Artemis 2 planned for August 2023. Artemis 1 will be an uncrewed lunar orbital test flight while Artemis 2 will send a crewed mission to lunar orbit.

NASA has big plans for the Moon in this decade. It wants to carry out several lunar surface missions and build a space station in orbit around the Moon for easier access to the lunar surface.