SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship updates

They have 2 sites which are just down the road from each other. The build site and the launch site. The Build site is right next to Boca Chica village in this shot, which they now own most of.

image.thumb.png.3be3ed3673b90450bbce2dd2ddeb9d5b.png

14 hours ago, bguy_1986 said:

Where are these launch tower sections being put together?  Right on site?

Near the village is SpaceX's natural gas well site. They have a construction yard there where the tower segments are being built. They're going to build 2 orbital pads, so 2 towers.

Maybe a 3rd tower for the sea launch/landing platform being converted in the Port of Brownsville, and another platform is being converted in Pascagoula, Mississippi. The first of those should be ready in early 2022.

Edited by DocM

CH4/OX hot gas booster reaction control thruster packs have been shipped from the McGregor test center and mounted. This was a long-pole item.

Sounds like they'll remove the hot gas thrusters on Booster 3 in order to speed up the Orbital Flight Test. Cold gas thrusters will be quicker to integrate.

Parts of an upcoming Starship OFT video render by Alexander Svan, model by NeoPork. Musk seems to like it 😎

13 hours ago, DocM said:

And tower segment 7 moving...

<snip>

Do we know how many segments tall this will be? This doesn't look like the top to me so I'm guessing it can only be one or two more?

7 hours ago, Skiver said:

Do we know how many segments tall this will be? This doesn't look like the top to me so I'm guessing it can only be one or two more?

8 segments + lightning arrestor = 479 feet/146  meters, with "Mechazilla" arms to catch the booster for landings. 

30 minutes ago, DocM said:

8 segments + lightning arrestor = 479 feet/146  meters, with "Mechazilla" arms to catch the booster for landings. 

Catching these boosters just doesn't seem possible.  Can't wait to see how they do that.

On 29/06/2021 at 11:07, bguy_1986 said:

Catching these boosters just doesn't seem possible.  Can't wait to see how they do that.

Most likely SH will come to a hover near the tower then translate into position using the thruster packs. Once there large robotic arms grab the fixtures we've already seen between the grid fin mounts.. 

Super Heavy test vehicle to roll out Friday. The usual pressure tests on the suborbital stand before the flight vehicle goes to the orbital pad.