The horror of finding a 1440p, 144Hz, IPS, GSYNC gaming monitor >=27" (pref curved)


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I've been looking for weeks for the perfect monitor that has these specifications:

1440p

>165hz refresh

IPS

GSYNC

Low overal response time/input lag

Good colors

>=27"

Curved if possible

 I can see that the clear winner would be:
Acer Predator XB271HU

However, they are really hard to find and the one I can find (EU) is 749 euro. Which seems allot for only a 1440p 27"screen.
Is there anything on the market now, or coming out in the near future that can compete with the Acer?

OR should I give up the dream about getting a curved 1440p with all the bells and whistles?

 

i have seen  this list but i dont  which monitor is the best


https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&A=1&p=1
 

 

Best regards

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

google search of "best 1440 gaming monitor" brings this up

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-finds/2018/12/03/5-best-gaming-monitors-of-2018/#240c65883d9f

 

and this

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-gaming-monitor/

 

FWIW, it looks like 165Hz is an overclocked rate...pcgamer stating that 165 is a negligible difference between 144.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i am living in  london

i am, looking for  gaming monitor with G-Sync   1440p with 144Hz refresh rate, overclockable to 165Hz ips 27   

 

i have one  link

with all the ips panels which i  found

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/43/othones-upologiston/f/489066_681619_690568_690572/27-G-Sync-IPS-144-hz-kai-ano.html

one my friend  from greece send me  this  link

 

Edited by sectorseven
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giving it a quick look, most of these monitors are using the old 8 bit panel tech, and for an expensive investment you probably want to ensure a modern 10 bit panel.

 

The actual internal panel model number is the best reference but other indicators of a 10 bit panel are "HDR" and "xx billion colors" (i.e. not 16 million which is 8 bit panel)

 

Note that "HDR" is a fuzzy term which could be very misleading in some marketing situations. 10 bots per pixel  (or more) is the definative spec.

 

Personally I would not consider spending real dollars in 2018 without getting a 10 bit per pixel panel at a minimum.

 

 

---------------------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

 

Video cards with 10 bits per component started coming to market in the late 1990s. An early example was the Radius ThunderPower card for the Macintosh, which included extensions for QuickDraw and Adobe Photoshop plugins to support editing 30-bit images.[15]

 

The HDMI 1.3 specification defines bit depths of 30 bits (1.073 billion colors), 36 bits (68.71 billion colors), and 48 bits (281.5 trillion colors).[16] In that regard, the Nvidia Quadro graphics cards manufactured after 2006 support 30-bit deep color[17] as do some models of the Radeon HD 5900 series such as the HD 5970.[18][19] The ATI FireGL V7350 graphics card supports 40-bit and 48-bit color.[20]

 

The DisplayPort specification also supports color depths greater than 24 bpp in version 1.3 through "VESA Display Stream Compression, which uses a visually lossless low-latency algorithm based on predictive DPCM and YCoCg-R color space and allows increased resolutions and color depths and reduced power consumption."[21]

 

At WinHEC 2008, Microsoft announced that color depths of 30 bits and 48 bits would be supported in Windows 7, along with the wide color gamut scRGB.[22][23]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my friend all these monitors are the only gaming  monitors with   G-Sync   1440p with 144Hz refresh rate, overclockable to 165Hz ips 27   

 

are  there  G-Sync   1440p with 144Hz refresh rate, overclockable to 165Hz ips 27    with 10 bit panel ??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dumb question, but why do you need a 1440p, 144Hz, IPS, GSYNC monitor? Are you an avid gamer? Or do just have money to spill?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sectorseven said:

my friend all these monitors are the only gaming  monitors with   G-Sync   1440p with 144Hz refresh rate, overclockable to 165Hz ips 27   

 

are  there  G-Sync   1440p with 144Hz refresh rate, overclockable to 165Hz ips 27    with 10 bit panel ??

 

 

Depends on what money is worth to you and how long you keep stuff you buy - for me, my eyeballs have grown used to hi definition color and refresh rate would be a secondary consideration  - crap that is faster is just faster crap.

 

Of the 5 monitors linked by @sc302here:

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-finds/2018/12/03/5-best-gaming-monitors-of-2018/#4722f2f23d9f

 

The  Samsung CHG70 appears to have a good panel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Depends on what money is worth to you and how long you keep stuff you buy - for me, my eyeballs have grown used to hi definition color and refresh rate would be a secondary consideration  - crap that is faster is just faster crap.

 

Of the 5 monitors linked by @sc302here:

 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes-finds/2018/12/03/5-best-gaming-monitors-of-2018/#4722f2f23d9f

 

The  Samsung CHG70 appears to have a good panel.

 

Heck, I have 2x 60hz screens, and I aint crying.

 

All samsungs are good, except for their cheap carp....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jimmy1 said:

I love my "ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 

 

Also was not cheap, but I enjoy it. I just looked up and it is 8 bit :(

 

however there were no 10bit monitors with IPS g sync at higher rates.

 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/10/17655110/asus-rog-swift-pg279q-review-editors-choice

😁

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync Gaming Monitor with Eye Care http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-885&ignorebbr=true

 

To put this in perspective, I thought I was insane buying my 38in Dell Ultrasharp at 850. ^^^thats a whole new level of wtf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

😁

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync Gaming Monitor with Eye Care http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-885&ignorebbr=true

 

To put this in perspective, I thought I was insane buying my 38in Dell Ultrasharp at 850. ^^^thats a whole new level of wtf. 

Nice link, price excepted of course....($2,000)

 

From that link, a 10 bit panel that looks nice: ($920)

 

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236717

 

Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100 Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD 100% sRGB Gaming Monitor with Speakers, Tilt, Swift, Height-Adjustable, VESA Mount

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one might have a 10 bit panel, it's unclear:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236660

 

$800 - ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Black 27" 165Hz 2560x1440 2K 4ms NVDIA G-SYNC, 350cd/m2, 1000:1, DP, HDMI, IPS Built-in Speakers, Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, Height Adjustable, VESA mount

 

This is excellent with 10 bit panel:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011229

 

$1800 - Acer Predator X27 27" 4K IPS UHD 3840x2160 NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR, 1,000nits (Peak), 144Hz (Overclock), 4ms (GTG), 10Bit Colors, Quantum Dot, DCI-P3, DisplayPort 1.4, Light Sensor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5EE6765

 

Acer Predator XB271HK 27" 4K UHD IPS NVIDIA G-Sync Black/Red Gaming Monitor, 3840 x 2160 (4K), 100% sRGB Color accuracy, Tilt/Swivel/Pivot/Height Adjustable, Build in Speakers

 

"only" $788 gets a 27" 3840 x 2760 10 bit panel with G-Sync, but "only" 60 hz

 

I'd be with @Mindovermasteron this one and be happy with 60 hz to get such a good panel instead of a crap panel at some high frequency with very uncertain benefit...

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Found this interesting read from 2001. Dunno how it implies, but here it is: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Thanks for the link.

 

Interesting but crappy poorly written article where he confuses interlacing with cinema and looks at eye speed independent of the very specific phenomenon that makes ANY video or cinema possible - POV - Persistence of Vision which by its very nature would limit the "refresh rate" of the human eye.

 

That Air Force photo test he mentioned, ONLY worked because of POV permitting the pilots to recall the image because it persisted on their retina. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to process changes in that information at that 240 Hz "refresh rate" because it would just be a continuous blur...

 

It seems to me that 120 hz might be the upper limit of usefulness but either way, give me better color first!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It seems to me that 120 hz might be the upper limit of usefulness but either way, give me better color first!

 

Yeah, and then you look at a guy who is colorblind.... :/ (blue/green)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Dell S2417DG, which is a 24" 1440p 144Hz (overclockable to 165Hz) G-Sync LED monitor (non-curved). They also do a 27" version (Dell S2714DG). I bought mine some 18 months ago for ~£380. It's a great monitor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Daedroth said:

I have a Dell S2417DG, which is a 24" 1440p 144Hz (overclockable to 165Hz) G-Sync LED monitor (non-curved). They also do a 27" version (Dell S2714DG). I bought mine some 18 months ago for ~£380. It's a great monitor.

Not 10 bit color or IPS though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DevTech said:

This one might have a 10 bit panel, it's unclear:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236660

 

$800 - ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Black 27" 165Hz 2560x1440 2K 4ms NVDIA G-SYNC, 350cd/m2, 1000:1, DP, HDMI, IPS Built-in Speakers, Tilt, Swivel, Pivot, Height Adjustable, VESA mount

 

This is excellent with 10 bit panel:

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011229

 

$1800 - Acer Predator X27 27" 4K IPS UHD 3840x2160 NVIDIA G-SYNC HDR, 1,000nits (Peak), 144Hz (Overclock), 4ms (GTG), 10Bit Colors, Quantum Dot, DCI-P3, DisplayPort 1.4, Light Sensor

The first one is not; you can tell by number of colors it supports. 16.7 million = 8 bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DevTech said:

Giving it a quick look, most of these monitors are using the old 8 bit panel tech, and for an expensive investment you probably want to ensure a modern 10 bit panel.

 

The actual internal panel model number is the best reference but other indicators of a 10 bit panel are "HDR" and "xx billion colors" (i.e. not 16 million which is 8 bit panel)

 

Note that "HDR" is a fuzzy term which could be very misleading in some marketing situations. 10 bots per pixel  (or more) is the definative spec.

 

Personally I would not consider spending real dollars in 2018 without getting a 10 bit per pixel panel at a minimum.

Most modern 8-bit monitors use FRC to approximate 10-bit colour through dithering. The difference between 8-bit + FRC and 10-bit is minimal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.