Macbook Pro Worth it with macOS?

Hi All,

I am looking to make a choice whether a life long Windows user should make a switch to macOS or not? For it, I am targeting Macbook Pro 16 inch (because others are not worth it):

Here are my user cases:

1) Web Browsing

2) Database Servers via Virtual Machines (for my testing)

3) Operating System servers via Virtual Machines (for my testing)

4) Occasional Microsoft Office

5) Data Analytics via different tools (to upskill myself)

6) Github (for Private Repository)

7) Web development 

Why I looking for Macbook is for macOS.. I want to test different security tools which are difficult to install as compared to Windows.

Things which are not making me pull the triggers are:

1) Last Generation Intel Processor (Not Ice Lake etc.)

2) Only 60 Hz screen while all others are moving to 120 Hz or 144 Hz + HDR screens

3) Windows still has potential and not half bad

4) Cost (but not that much)

5) Gaming (I have huge steam library, which I was not able to play due to GPU failure on PC) - Although I have PS4 so I am not sure whether it will spark my interest or not.

What I might enjoy with MacBook Pro:

1) Crisp Display with 16:10 aspect ratio

2) Apply Ecosystem

3) Easier package deployments and applications

Appreciate if you can help me to evaluate based on my user case whether Macbook Pro would be good move or not.

I'm actually in the process of making a Mac my full-time machine. I've been using Windows for about 25 years and Linux 19 or so.  About eight months ago, I switched EVERYTHING in my house to Linux. My entire homelab that was running Windows Servers, AD, ADFS, ect and switched to Linux counterparts. My gaming machine that's in my sig,  just Linux. I have also been using Macs for about 10 years, but my "main" box has always been Windows or Linux.

Present Day,

I got tired of using my computer in the basement and wanted something I can use as my main box upstairs and where ever. I got tired of having multiple boxes. I decided to get the new Macbook Pro 16" and I'm really glad I did. Everything that I LOVE about MacOS, is just 100 times better on this box. I use a newish Macbook Pro at work and works great, but I've only really used an older Mac Pro (2008 hacked to run El Capitan) and a 2012 Macbook Pro. I have never really 100% committed to Mac in my personal life until now. 

Things I do,

Code - WIth the terminal right at your finger tips, this is so much easier. One of the reasons why I wanted one for work as well. You can easily use git, and brew is an amazing tool to pull down apps you need. Think of brew like a repo like with Linux, but just for MacOS. You also can use Visual Studio Code, which is one of Microsoft's best products IMO. But, I just a lot of JetBrain's tools for IDEs and such.

Tons of Linux administration 

Browse the Web

Music creation and Editing

Photo Editing

Web Dev as well, mostly wordpress

VMs

I do wish gaming was a bit better on the Mac.. Not that it isn't bad, but there just isn't that much for it. However, with cloud gaming coming along, I don't think this will be a big issue. I however started playing more of my consoles and it's just an easier experience. 

I wouldn't get tied up in the specs so much with Macs. The experience of stuff just working and just much easier in general is what you are getting. So many apps now for MacOS as well, something that has really upticked in the last few years and I think that's why I'm really able to commit to it now. Also, I know this isn't one of the things you listed, but just check out the speakers on the new 16" Pro.. It's insane how they did it.. 

Not sure if this helps you, if you have any questions or something specific, let me know and I'd love to help. Also, if you have a Best Buy in your area, you can get it from there and you can just return it in 14 days, however I don't think that'll be the case. 

Edit:

I'd like to also add that console streaming works great on MacOS as well. 

The only really important part is: 

Why I looking for Macbook is for macOS.. I want to test different security tools which are difficult to install as compared to Windows.

What tools, why are they difficult to install on Windows? If they're exclusively for MacOS then the answer is a MacBook Pro is indeed worth it for you. 

I used a MacBook Pro for 4-5 years for the similar tasks as you (data analytics, frontend development, backend development, devops, database work, etc) because there were certain tools that were annoying to configure on Windows, but when WSL was released (and with WSL2 coming that fixes the few issues with WSL) that problem became pretty much a non issue. I switched back to Windows 10 earlier last year and in combination with WSL I don't really find myself missing anything from MacOS. There's very few things you actually need a Mac for these days, it's mainly down to personal preference. 

1 hour ago, Zlip792 said:

Hi All,

I am looking to make a choice whether a life long Windows user should make a switch to macOS or not? For it, I am targeting Macbook Pro 16 inch (because others are not worth it):

Here are my user cases:

1) Web Browsing

2) Database Servers via Virtual Machines (for my testing)

3) Operating System servers via Virtual Machines (for my testing)

4) Occasional Microsoft Office

5) Data Analytics via different tools (to upskill myself)

6) Github (for Private Repository)

7) Web development 

Things which are not making me pull the triggers are:

1) Last Generation Intel Processor (Not Ice Lake etc.)

2) Only 60 Hz screen while all others are moving to 120 Hz or 144 Hz + HDR screens

3) Windows still has potential and not half bad

4) Cost (but not that much)

5) Gaming (I have huge steam library, which I was not able to play due to GPU failure on PC) - Although I have PS4 so I am not sure whether it will spark my interest or not.

What I might enjoy with MacBook Pro:

1) Crisp Display with 16:10 aspect ratio

2) Apply Ecosystem

3) Easier package deployments and applications

Appreciate if you can help me to evaluate based on my user case whether Macbook Pro would be good move or not.

I’d say your cons outweigh your pros, and if you want to be running DBs and VMs, that price you are concerned about is going to become more concerning as you cannot upgrade the machine after the fact with more disk space and RAM. I’d also be interested in hearing about the difficulties with Windows. The only one I ran into was RN tooling works better in macOS. 

At the end of the day, the OS isn’t as important as some make it to be because you are using applications to do whatever. The OS is just the delivery system to allow you to do so. Unless the OS is unstable or stops you from doing your desired task, or another OS makes a notable difference in it, it doesn’t matter if it is Windows or whatever. 

Your #1 con can be fixed by waiting. AFAIK there are no newer than 9th gen H processors out in the wild yet. 

Your #3 Pro isn’t. So many people think that, but the reality is that macOS applications also tend to spit out files and settings in multiple places, so just removing it from Applications doesn’t get rid of all of it. Some applications even come with uninstallers. Your #2 con is only a con because you are comparing gaming and media consumption laptops with a laptop that is not designed explicitly  for that purpose. The MBP display is fantastic even without HDR with a very bright display. Your #5 con is bigger than you think; the 5500m is pretty meh for games. 

This coming from someone who has an MBP 16. I have a strong use case for it though and that’s why I have one: I need tools not available in Windows.

Edited by adrynalyne

Hi All, sorry I was not able to comment due to busy week at work and still working during the weekend. 😞

I'll respond to one by one to each comment in a short while. Thanks everyone.

On 1/8/2020 at 12:22 PM, fusi0n said:

I'm actually in the process of making a Mac my full-time machine. I've been using Windows for about 25 years and Linux 19 or so.  About eight months ago, I switched EVERYTHING in my house to Linux. My entire homelab that was running Windows Servers, AD, ADFS, ect and switched to Linux counterparts. My gaming machine that's in my sig,  just Linux. I have also been using Macs for about 10 years, but my "main" box has always been Windows or Linux.

Present Day,

I got tired of using my computer in the basement and wanted something I can use as my main box upstairs and where ever. I got tired of having multiple boxes. I decided to get the new Macbook Pro 16" and I'm really glad I did. Everything that I LOVE about MacOS, is just 100 times better on this box. I use a newish Macbook Pro at work and works great, but I've only really used an older Mac Pro (2008 hacked to run El Capitan) and a 2012 Macbook Pro. I have never really 100% committed to Mac in my personal life until now. 

Things I do,

Code - WIth the terminal right at your finger tips, this is so much easier. One of the reasons why I wanted one for work as well. You can easily use git, and brew is an amazing tool to pull down apps you need. Think of brew like a repo like with Linux, but just for MacOS. You also can use Visual Studio Code, which is one of Microsoft's best products IMO. But, I just a lot of JetBrain's tools for IDEs and such.

Tons of Linux administration 

Browse the Web

Music creation and Editing

Photo Editing

Web Dev as well, mostly wordpress

VMs

I do wish gaming was a bit better on the Mac.. Not that it isn't bad, but there just isn't that much for it. However, with cloud gaming coming along, I don't think this will be a big issue. I however started playing more of my consoles and it's just an easier experience. 

I wouldn't get tied up in the specs so much with Macs. The experience of stuff just working and just much easier in general is what you are getting. So many apps now for MacOS as well, something that has really upticked in the last few years and I think that's why I'm really able to commit to it now. Also, I know this isn't one of the things you listed, but just check out the speakers on the new 16" Pro.. It's insane how they did it.. 

Not sure if this helps you, if you have any questions or something specific, let me know and I'd love to help. Also, if you have a Best Buy in your area, you can get it from there and you can just return it in 14 days, however I don't think that'll be the case. 

Edit:

I'd like to also add that console streaming works great on MacOS as well. 

I am in IT Audit / IT Security field. Hence, to make our work programs to test systems I have to play with multiple operating systems and databases. Meanwhile I do web development for my own joy.

Terminal is one of the reason for selecting macOS because I tried PowerShell and new Terminal but I think it will take time to mature. As mentioned, WSL is another option but I am so tired of patch work to make my workflow productive that I don't want to waste more time on it and want something powerful.

Just for a background, I had "Dell Latitude E7440" (with SSD and 16 GB RAM). I have Lenovo Yoga 2nd Gen from the work, which is severely limited due to enterprise security etc.

I checked Macbook Pro on Apple Store and to be honest I liked it. I liked 16:10 screen and that font rendering was amazing, nothing like WIndows.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:01 PM, adrynalyne said:

I’d say your cons outweigh your pros, and if you want to be running DBs and VMs, that price you are concerned about is going to become more concerning as you cannot upgrade the machine after the fact with more disk space and RAM. I’d also be interested in hearing about the difficulties with Windows. The only one I ran into was RN tooling works better in macOS. 

At the end of the day, the OS isn’t as important as some make it to be because you are using applications to do whatever. The OS is just the delivery system to allow you to do so. Unless the OS is unstable or stops you from doing your desired task, or another OS makes a notable difference in it, it doesn’t matter if it is Windows or whatever. 

Your #1 con can be fixed by waiting. AFAIK there are no newer than 9th gen H processors out in the wild yet. 

Your #3 Pro isn’t. So many people think that, but the reality is that macOS applications also tend to spit out files and settings in multiple places, so just removing it from Applications doesn’t get rid of all of it. Some applications even come with uninstallers. Your #2 con is only a con because you are comparing gaming and media consumption laptops with a laptop that is not designed explicitly  for that purpose. The MBP display is fantastic even without HDR with a very bright display. Your #5 con is bigger than you think; the 5500m is pretty meh for games. 

This coming from someone who has an MBP 16. I have a strong use case for it though and that’s why I have one: I need tools not available in Windows.

I did agree with your points and you articulated them great.

I am planning to keep it for about 3 or 4 years  and I think the way I used E7440, it will be worthwhile upgrade and would definitely upgrade for next few years at least. I don't see Apple jumping to AMD or Intel going to 10 nm soon despite the Intel Tiger Lake demos during CES 2020. So I think current specs are the best what I can get right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, just to update, I was just a inch away to pull a trigger to buy Macbook Pro but I decided that I would wait for March event and see how it goes.