Hoarding toilet paper?

44 minutes ago, warwagon said:

How many asses are getting wiped? The mega pack I bought 2 times ago, lasted me from Aug 2018 to Aug 2019. The pack I just bought is on top of what I have left from what I bought a few months ago.

Are you saying that your household  only uses 2 bog rolls a month? Lol

• Haha 1

Unfortunately people are being irrational, and you're forced to be irrational as well. I luckily had a mega pack of TP from Costco, but my wife made me buy some more 😕

4 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Are you saying that your household  only uses 2 bog rolls a month? Lol

Ya I mean it's mostly me. Here. My gf sometimes during the week. Just by myself would probably only go through 1 mega roll a month, if that.

4 hours ago, Bobslay said:

OK, pointless discussion on the web #6,456 but here we go. You were the one who said hoarding toilet paper made sense and people shouldn't mock it. The thing that we are all mocking is the fact that people are prioritizing toilet paper as the number one thing they can't live without if they are isolated. That's the item stores are running out of, not food, not water. I can't live without food or water, neither can you. I can live without toilet paper, I'd prefer not to but if I had none I wouldn't die.

So, you have to ask yourself why people have chosen this one item? The reason is because they are being told my media, their friends, that people are bulk buying it so others do too because "that must be a good idea". It's not a good idea, that's why people are mocking it. If people were panic buying everything (which, if they believe Armageddon is coming, they should) then we wouldn't be hearing/seeing the toilet roll famine of 2020. 

Capture.PNG

No; I did not write that it 'made sense'. I merely attacked the stupid memes and such ... explaining the reasoning instead of mocking such people. I also said that the virus is not being treated with the seriousness that it deserves.

You may write that 'the thing we are all mocking is the fact that people are prioritizing toilet paper as the number one thing they can't live without if they are isolated' but that is not true because a) several people here completely disregard that toilet paper is not being prioritized as 'the number one thing' ( and react negatively or ignore my posts which say as much ); b) post memes that suggest that toilet paper is infected with COVID-19 or that it can protect one from COVID-19 ( you know, people wrapping up like mummies) ( doing more than just mocking the idea of hoarding toilet paper instead of food ... instead mocking the hoarders themselves ); and c) try to explain away the reasoning for such hoarding as being solely based on hysteria ... rather than on, say, hoarders not wanting to go outside and risk being infected ( a double standard, if you ask me, since I do not see anyone in this topic applying the same standards to---or complaining about---people stockpiling food).

Despite what you assert ... that the hoarders are 'being told my [sic] media, their friends, that people are bulk buying it so others do too because 'that must be a good idea'' ... there are media outlets that provide rational explanations ... that are in line with what I am saying ... and that are contrary to the idea or mission to fan the flames of fear ... These actually provide rational, plausible explanations other than what you have presented here.

Australia has also suffered from panic buying of toilet paper despite plentiful domestic supply. A risk expert in the country explained it this way: “Stocking up on toilet paper is … a relatively cheap action, and people like to think that they are ‘doing something’ when they feel at risk.”

This is an example of “zero risk bias,” in which people prefer to try to eliminate one type of possibly superficial risk entirely rather than do something that would reduce their total risk by a greater amount.

Hoarding also makes people feel secure. This is especially relevant when the world is faced with a novel disease over which all of us have little or no control. However, we can control things like having enough toilet paper in case we are quarantined.

Source: Business Insider

• Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

"Hoarding also makes people feel secure."

yes, SIMPLETONS ONLY!

and they are making life difficult, for people who genuinely ran out of needed supplies, and did not expect a bunch of idiots to buy 200+ roll in one sitting because it make them "feel secure"

a lot of families will NOT have sanitizer, because some Joe Schmoe is sitting on 100s of them.

this is pure selfishness and shows the worst of human nature.

this people need to be slapped and to wake up and realize we are all sailing though space on this little spaceship called earth. and that hoarding stuff, not only does not really help you, it HURTS OTHERS!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Give him the 1 ply paper thin rolls....

I think I have a roll somewhere that is as rough as that cheap brown paper towels they put into schools and institutions 🧐

2 minutes ago, neufuse said:

I think I have a roll somewhere that is as rough as that cheap brown paper towels they put into schools and institutions 🧐

I'm old enough to have had to live through using tracing paper type toilet rolls at primary school :| 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I'm old enough to have had to live through using tracing paper type toilet rolls at primary school :| 

My Nana used that stuff my ass never recovered!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

i was in newcastle uni residence.

the paper was like this grease paper they use in cooking,you just could not get your sheet to stick to it.  ;) No matter how you tried. So bad...

4 hours ago, waysidesc said:

No; I did not write that it 'made sense'. I merely attacked the stupid memes and such ... explaining the reasoning instead of mocking such people. I also said that the virus is not being treated with the seriousness that it deserves.

You may write that 'the thing we are all mocking is the fact that people are prioritizing toilet paper as the number one thing they can't live without if they are isolated' but that is not true because a) several people here completely disregard that toilet paper is not being prioritized as 'the number one thing' ( and react negatively or ignore my posts which say as much ); b) post memes that suggest that toilet paper is infected with COVID-19 or that it can protect one from COVID-19 ( you know, people wrapping up like mummies) ( doing more than just mocking the idea of hoarding toilet paper instead of food ... instead mocking the hoarders themselves ); and c) try to explain away the reasoning for such hoarding as being solely based on hysteria ... rather than on, say, hoarders not wanting to go outside and risk being infected ( a double standard, if you ask me, since I do not see anyone in this topic applying the same standards to---or complaining about---people stockpiling food).

Despite what you assert ... that the hoarders are 'being told my [sic] media, their friends, that people are bulk buying it so others do too because 'that must be a good idea'' ... there are media outlets that provide rational explanations ... that are in line with what I am saying ... and that are contrary to the idea or mission to fan the flames of fear ... These actually provide rational, plausible explanations other than what you have presented here.

Source: Business Insider

I do NOT understand why you will hoard toilet paper.  Granted I can understand tinned food will be useful once you are quarantined at home.  But toilet paper??

It looks like no one is going to shower at home.  Buy soap and stock it.  For goodness sake, in India and Japan, you wash off instead of wipe :)

I believe people are being dumb and irrational on this toilet paper hoarding.  Only buy what you will need

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RNDM_STRNGR said:

"Hoarding also makes people feel secure."

yes, SIMPLETONS ONLY!

and they are making life difficult, for people who genuinely ran out of needed supplies, and did not expect a bunch of idiots to buy 200+ roll in one sitting because it make them "feel secure"

a lot of families will NOT have sanitizer, because some Joe Schmoe is sitting on 100s of them.

this is pure selfishness and shows the worst of human nature.

this people need to be slapped and to wake up and realize we are all sailing though space on this little spaceship called earth. and that hoarding stuff, not only does not really help you, it HURTS OTHERS!

I am not advocating the hoarding of any thing ... but to write that buyers are only being mocked here because so-and-so is a lie. It is understandable, however, that they would want to buy many supplies ... to avoid much contact with the outside world if or when that is necessary.

What I quoted and what you cited were only examples provided by the article ... those I felt were pertinent to addressing the lie that buyers were only being mocked because they were buying toilet paper as 'the number one item they can't live without' ... which is demonstrably false ... and this also when mocking them for false reasons ( such that they think that it will protect them from COVID-19 ) ... which does not treat the pandemic with the seriousness it deserves. Collectively ... this is the crux of my argument and of my position.

If anyone is to criticize such behavior ... it should be as you have legitimately criticized it rather than, say, something stupid like assuming that buyers believe toilet paper will protect them. Again, these same people make no direct mention of stockpiling of food ! A double standard if you ask me !

1 hour ago, valkyr09 said:

I do NOT understand why you will hoard toilet paper.  Granted I can understand tinned food will be useful once you are quarantined at home.  But toilet paper??

It looks like no one is going to shower at home.  Buy soap and stock it.  For goodness sake, in India and Japan, you wash off instead of wipe :)

I believe people are being dumb and irrational on this toilet paper hoarding.  Only buy what you will need

Please don't lump me in with such people. I do not hoard any thing. Ever.

19 hours ago, warwagon said:

How many asses are getting wiped? The mega pack I bought 2 times ago, lasted me from Aug 2018 to Aug 2019. The pack I just bought is on top of what I have left from what I bought a few months ago.

3 adults and dropping a lode more than once a day. Oh and using more than one square.

1 hour ago, Matthew S. said:

3 adults and dropping a lode more than once a day. Oh and using more than one square.

I'm still shocked warwagon doesn't need bog paper that often!!!! I'm talking normal sized rolls in the UK but jesus who wipes their ass with only 1 square?

Eh Humor is good medicine for the soul... None of this is mean-spirited, and when all of this is over I think a lot more people are going to laugh about it.

I mean, it is a serious situation and people should take whatever precautions they feel comfortable with, but I think its going to be obvious soon that while some of the reaction was rational, some of it was also excessive, some of it irrational. Medical professionals are already predicting that its going to come back as a seasonal illness every year, since containment is a ship that's sailed long ago. So once that sinks in, people are going to have to start seeing it objectively as like any other seasonal illness, such as the flu. In the mean time, most of the safety precautions make sense because slowing down the spread of the virus will buy us more time to get better prepared (including buying time to develop a vaccine) and prevent administrative overload at hospitals.

At the same time, its almost certainly guaranteed that more people are going to the hospital than really need to, and this is also creating a burden on the system and harming people who need help. This is one of the reasons why medical professionals are suggesting not to take tests if you don't show symptoms. And the FDA is now putting out messages that people shouldn't be scared that going to blood drives will lead them to become ill, because there isn't a substantial risk of them getting the virus. Why? Because the panic has shut down a lot of blood drives, and hospitals need that blood to help injured patients. If the blood supply dries up, it'll be another health crisis and a lot of people will be hurt that way, too. Yet, all this goes against the "social distancing" message we're all hearing.

Something I find funny is the way that corporations are only seeming to take the precautions that affect their bottom line. Its a pattern everywhere. I've visited Costco in the past week. Costco has suspended free samples, but they've kept their food court open. I really don't see the logic behind saying that you can catch coronavirus from eating free food, but not from eating paid food. I'm of course also getting a torrent of e-mails from businesses telling me about how much they care about my well-being (they also care about my birthday btw). One of them was from IKEA, who is saying that they're regularly sanitizing the Småland play area. You'd think if they really thought this was serious, they wouldn't just sanitize it, but shut it down. A lot of schools are shutting down. So you're going to have moms taking their kids, now free from school, shopping with them to IKEA, where the play area is still open. Movie theaters are staying open but reducing their seats so there will not be as much crowding.

All of this is kind of silly and inconsistent, no?

Anyway as per the TP thing, the flu season is going to taper out, the virus should weaken in warm weather, and you aren't going to need dozens of mega-packs of TP to get through it even if you're doing self-quarantine. I also know some people who are buying not because they're extremely worried about the virus, but they're afraid that all the TP is going to be bought up and it won't even be available when they need it. I've also heard real stories about people trying to buy up TP and resell it at higher prices. All this kind of thing is what makes it escalatory, panic buying.

So yea I know even some of the people buying TP are finding humor in the jokes, because the TP situation is kind of silly and irrational and its good to laugh at silly things.

16 hours ago, valkyr09 said:

I do not use TP very much, I time my BM's around taking a shower, so I do not need TP very much, and we have one female, one disabled 19 year old who was never taught to wipe :x

20 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

I'm still shocked warwagon doesn't need bog paper that often!!!! I'm talking normal sized rolls in the UK but jesus who wipes their ass with only 1 square?

Depends on the poop. If you leave a large soft mud pile on your bung hole, then yes you are going to need quite a few. But if you leave nothing at all, then one should be just fine.

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

Depends on the poop. If you leave a large soft mud pile on your bung hole, then yes you are going to need quite a few. But if you leave nothing at all, then one should be just fine.

Too much information i am eating here!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SnoopZ said:

Too much information i am eating here!

Mars bar?