Freelancing??? (serious)

I'm writing this question to ask what are my odds of freelancing? I want to work as a dev, but it's a well known issue that I have an arrest, but despite the fact that its expunged and there was no conviction I wholeheartedly believe that I don't stand a chance at getting a regular dev job since I have some relevant experience can I become a freelancer? 

We’ve been over your record that’s not before. That’s the whole point of it being expunged. 

Fun fact, I’ve been in jail, been charged, and dealt with the consequences. Not one time has it ever been an issue when applying for a job. You aren’t a convicted felon. 

Anyway, without experience under your belt, I’d say your chances of freelancing are not going to be much of a reality. I’m sure you can find some tidbits of work here and there, but you aren’t going to make a living doing it, at least, not for a good while. Get an entry level job and get your skills and experience up there and then look at freelancing. 

On 17/07/2021 at 13:09, adrynalyne said:

We’ve been over your record that’s not before. That’s the whole point of it being expunged. 

Fun fact, I’ve been in jail, been charged, and dealt with the consequences. Not one time has it ever been an issue when applying for a job. You aren’t a convicted felon. 

Anyway, without experience under your belt, I’d say your chances of freelancing are not going to be much of a reality. I’m sure you can find some tidbits of work here and there, but you aren’t going to make a living doing it, at least, not for a good while. Get an entry level job and get your skills and experience up there and then look at freelancing. 

ok for one I said i have the relevant experience and number two regardless of the fact of that person telling it's not gonna show up in a background check I heard otherwise from  other people. I suppose to believe that person all of a sudden now cause they work at a solicitor office? 

On 17/07/2021 at 10:20, RolloofTheNorm said:

ok for one I said i have the relevant experience and number two regardless of the fact of that person telling it's not gonna show up in a background check I heard otherwise from  other people. I suppose to believe that person all of a sudden now cause they work at a solicitor office? 

I don’t even know what you are asking me. There are two possibilities here: you have no record or you are lying and it’s not been expunged. What did you do that is so bad that you have made multiple posts about it over the years? I’ll tell you what I did: I assaulted someone. Never been an issue. 

Also, I recall your past posts. What experience do you have?

• Like 2

😬 this question again. Yes, you can be a developer, if you want a reason why you can still be a developer and your expunged record is irrelevant look at the answers from your previous threads in...

2020: 

2018: 

2017: 

2016: offsite

It's been 5 years since you first asked this question. If you had been serious about being a dev you could have already been a successful one by now. If this is a troll account I don't understand it... If it's not a troll account, I mean this in the nicest way possible, please seek psychological help because it's not healthy for this to still be on your mind after so many years. 

Edited by ZakO

And what's the point of therapy? I'm just gonna go there and tell them my issue so they can basically say "yea maybe you can't be a software dev" or whatever bs they'll spew. As I said I'm supposed to believe I have no record when I pretty much went on several other forums and they have told me otherwise? @ZakO

• Facepalm 1

On 17/07/2021 at 15:17, RolloofTheNorm said:

And what's the point of therapy? I'm just gonna go there and tell them my issue so they can basically say "yea maybe you can't be a software dev" or whatever bs they'll spew. As I said I'm supposed to believe I have no record when I pretty much went on several other forums and they have told me otherwise? @ZakO

Ok, let’s flip the script then. 

No you cannot be a dev. I manage a team of developers and I can tell you, you wouldn’t make it past the first interview with me and it wouldn’t be lack of experience or past indiscretions as the reason. 

Now go away. 

PS- I’ve heard DHL has no problems hiring ex-cons. Check them out. 

• Like 3

You're asking if you can do your own thing where people won't look at your history as much as they would if you applied for a job at a company, where their HR will scrutinize your background.

Simple answer: You can freelance as much as you like. Your background will involve your work, your results, not what happened away from the workplace.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2021 at 18:34, adrynalyne said:

Ok, let’s flip the script then. 

No you cannot be a dev. I manage a team of developers and I can tell you, you wouldn’t make it past the first interview with me and it wouldn’t be lack of experience or past indiscretions as the reason. 

Now go away. 

PS- I’ve heard DHL has no problems hiring ex-cons. Check them out. 

Idk where the ex con thing came from but I appreciate you telling bme I have no chance now because I basically still have a record

• Facepalm 1

On 19/07/2021 at 14:02, RolloofTheNorm said:

Idk where the ex con thing came from but I appreciate you telling bme I have no chance now because I basically still have a record

You clearly state you have a record. That makes you an ex-con.

You have no chance, but its not because of a record and certainly not an expunged one.

Sorry.

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Haha 1

On 19/07/2021 at 17:04, adrynalyne said:

You clearly state you have a record. That makes you an ex-con.

You have no chance, but its not because of a record and certainly not an expunged one.

Sorry.

Ok I was never convicted so how can I be an ex con? And in your last post you even stated I'm not a convicted felon so what are you trying to say? So you basically saying I'm a convict or ex convict and I have no chance because of that?

Edited by RolloofTheNorm
  • Facepalm 1

On 19/07/2021 at 16:14, RolloofTheNorm said:

Ok I was never convicted so how can I be an ex con? And in your last post you even stated I'm not a convicted felon so what are you trying to say? So you basically saying I'm a convict or ex convict and I have no chance because of that?

If you were never convicted, and whatever charge you have has been expunged, it is as if it never happened.  Most jobs ask if you were ever convicted of a gross misdemeanor or felony, from what you are telling us you could answer no to that.  Have you ever interviewed for a job?

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 17:37, tmorris1 said:

If you were never convicted, and whatever charge you have has been expunged, it is as if it never happened.  Most jobs ask if you were ever convicted of a gross misdemeanor or felony, from what you are telling us you could answer no to that.  Have you ever interviewed for a job?

Well obviously I am an ex con according to @adrynalyne so what you're saying now is mediocre at best and yes I have had interviews and I have a job now as we speak. It's not a dev job just a regular job at a store, but does me finally having a job suppose to make me have a different outlook now? I still cant have the job I actually want.

• Facepalm 1

On 19/07/2021 at 14:14, RolloofTheNorm said:

So you just contradicted your entire argument.

I said you stand no chance but its not due to your record, or lack thereof. You are unstable,

This has been going on for 5 years between different sites and here. If you haven't figured it out by now, I doubt you ever will.

• Thanks 2

On 19/07/2021 at 19:05, adrynalyne said:

So you just contradicted your entire argument.

I said you stand no chance but its not due to your record, or lack thereof. You are unstable,

This has been going on for 5 years between different sites and here. If you haven't figured it out by now, I doubt you ever will.

You're the one telling me I'm an ex convict and I tell you I'm not, but I'm the unstable one? Either I'm an ex con or not which one is it?

• Facepalm 1

On 19/07/2021 at 16:43, RolloofTheNorm said:

You're the one telling me I'm an ex convict and I tell you I'm not, but I'm the unstable one? Either I'm an ex con or not which one is it?

Well you don’t believe us when we tell you an expunged record means it’s gone, so by default, you must be an ex-con. It’s one or the other. 

Trust me, the instability isn’t with those answering your questions. It is the one who has asked the same question over and over for half a decade. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 18:41, virtorio said:

Oh, this guy's back. How fun.

Not so much this year.  Maybe next year will be better.

• Like 1

Hmm, it's been close to 7 years since the 'incident' so regardless of it being expunged, you no longer have to report it, and it can not be used against you, even it is was a felony. So get over your fears of a record and apply, I have a misdemeanor conviction and it has not stopped me from obtaining employment on a Navy Base, and with the Sheriff's Office, simply put, they don't care about it unless it was something like a violent crime, or some employers (retail) if it was theft, or crimes against a person at work (you get into a fight with a co-worker, etc) .I have only had one potential employer refuse to hire me based on the background check, and they were simply being very picky at the time (and it had not quite been 7 years). So here is what you want to hear: Yes, you can freelance, yes you can get a job within your field of training, no, your conviction (or lack of in this case) will not stop you from obtaining meaningful employment, you do not have to tell them about it considering it was expunged!

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 20:07, jnelsoninjax said:

Hmm, it's been close to 7 years since the 'incident' so regardless of it being expunged, you no longer have to report it, and it can not be used against you, even it is was a felony. So get over your fears of a record and apply, I have a misdemeanor conviction and it has not stopped me from obtaining employment on a Navy Base, and with the Sheriff's Office, simply put, they don't care about it unless it was something like a violent crime, or some employers (retail) if it was theft, or crimes against a person at work (you get into a fight with a co-worker, etc) .I have only had one potential employer refuse to hire me based on the background check, and they were simply being very picky at the time (and it had not quite been 7 years). So here is what you want to hear: Yes, you can freelance, yes you can get a job within your field of training, no, your conviction (or lack of in this case) will not stop you from obtaining meaningful employment, you do not have to tell them about it considering it was expunged!

Hopefully you will reach him. We have been saying this for years.

• Like 1

Look @RolloofTheNorm the only thing that will prevent you from getting work is your damn attitude, you're imaginary record is not whats holding you back, we've told you countless times.  Your mental state is whats holding you back.  Get Help.

I can grantee you've either A) Not actually applied for a job based on this imaginary record or B) Don't meet the qualifications for said jobs you've applied for and have somehow equated that it's your record and not your skills (there lack of) that prevent you from getting a job you want.  and I honestly think it's a combo of both.

I'll give you a little secret, I don't have an education (on paper) past grade 8, yet I work in IT at a Tech Eng. II.  YOUR WHATS HOLDING YOURSELF BACK!

• Like 4

On 19/07/2021 at 16:52, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well obviously I am an ex con according to @adrynalyne so what you're saying now is mediocre at best and yes I have had interviews and I have a job now as we speak. It's not a dev job just a regular job at a store, but does me finally having a job suppose to make me have a different outlook now? I still cant have the job I actually want.

Obviously there is history here that I don't know or care about.  I never once mentioned "ex-con", so not sure where you are getting that rambling rant from?  My mediocre knowledge and advice has me in a professional engineering career, so not sure what I should have done different.  Maybe I should just stay on this forum and whine and complain how I never got to become a professional hockey player and nobody would give me a chance to try?  I was specifically asking if you had ever applied for an IT job and been denied because of your record?  You never answer that...  It seems you are here to complain, tell everyone that their advice is wrong, whine, and pretend to be a victim.  I will also tell you that you will never be an IT or any professional until you get your head screwed on straight just like most others have already said.  Why ask for advice if you won't listen?

I don't think there's anything more to say if this is legitimate. Positive encouragement hasn't helped, reverse psychology makes it worse, in the most honest and non offensive way possible, op would benefit from therapy based on what I've seen here.

Op, I know you don't want to hear it, no one would, and I understand being told this won't make you look for the help you need, but just take a moment to think about it.

When seeing a therapist, you won't be told you can or can't do anything you do, or don't want to do, but you will hopefully be able to break out of this recursive thought loop that's clearly stopping you from progressing with life as you'd like to. You're young, you have plenty of time to both find what you want out of life, and achieve it.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 07:07, tmorris1 said:

Obviously there is history here that I don't know or care about.  I never once mentioned "ex-con", so not sure where you are getting that rambling rant from?  My mediocre knowledge and advice has me in a professional engineering career, so not sure what I should have done different.  Maybe I should just stay on this forum and whine and complain how I never got to become a professional hockey player and nobody would give me a chance to try?  I was specifically asking if you had ever applied for an IT job and been denied because of your record?  You never answer that...  It seems you are here to complain, tell everyone that their advice is wrong, whine, and pretend to be a victim.  I will also tell you that you will never be an IT or any professional until you get your head screwed on straight just like most others have already said.  Why ask for advice if you won't listen?

This became interesting. You wanted to be a pro hockey player?